• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

essentials when out on your own for the first time?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha i went to UNO for one year

you're staying on campus? when you get sick of Pontchartrain, go visit Lake Terrace Gardens, i think the address is 1610 Robert E. Lee Blvd - it's like 5 minutes walking from UNO, and costs one-third of the (absolutely overinflated) cost of living on campus

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh and it's absolutely beautiful, like, it has fantastic french-quarter-style courtyards

edit - and there's girls there too

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
what is the point of this thread?

I opened it thinking 'ahh, some kid is getting his first house, what do I buy in what order'...which is cool, I have suggestions there. Lots of them. Turns out more like 'some kid wants to brag that he ran away from home before college and actually doesn't need **** cos he is sleeping on his friend's sofa, because, ya, that's gonna impress me'....which takes me back to my initial question:

what is the point of this thread?

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz

I've read stories of people who have lived at the airport for months at a time.

terminal.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M@tt is here, this thread is gonna get DT'ed in no time.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
this is the reputation I have?

Dr. DeeTee?

What has my life come to?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
what is the point of this thread? I opened it thinking 'ahh, some kid is getting his first house, what do I buy in what order'...which is cool, I have suggestions there. Lots of them. Turns out more like 'some kid wants to brag that he ran away from home before college and actually doesn't need **** cos he is sleeping on his friend's sofa, because, ya, that's gonna impress me'....which takes me back to my initial question: what is the point of this thread?
the point of this thread is pretty much the first thing you mentioned. but not so much "what are things i should have to furnish my ****" and more "from the ground up, what are the greatest essentials" leaving home with nothing but my car, toothbrush, laptop, phone -- and pretty much living around for a few weeks until i get into my dorm. i don't really think anything i've said in this thread really seems like "bragging", but i understand that some of you guys are marsupialed cynics, so i don't hold that against you. right now i can't carry much around, so what are the most important things? i have to live like a minimalist for a while. once i get in my dorm, what **** will really come in handy? only thing i can think of right now is a mini fridge and microwave. PS: you guys can quit taking the "ran away from home" or "this is just a phase" kind of angle. i have a really dysfunctional home and a family full of drugs, criminals etc. it's very serious. any reasonable person would be looking to get out, i'm just doing it a month or so before my dorm is ready, so now i'm kind of hanging out all around town. you don't have to over-analyze everything.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
uhh my dorm room had everything cept a microwave...and ya, you did sound like you were bragging, and no, I'm not a marsupialed cynic, ask around about me
smile.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you planning to do inbetween terms? A lot of schools kick you out of the dorms over winter break.

Minifridge and Microwave are good.
Maybe a hotplate (alot of dorms don't allow these) or one of those electric kettles.
Some kind of toiletry basket/tray to bring in and out of the shared bathroom with you.
A robe
possibly earplugs

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
because there is a difference between me paying for a hotel room and my financial aid paying for a dorm room. the dorm room ends up costing about $20 a day. compare that to a hotel room, consider i don't yet have my financial aid money.

if you're not smart enough to understand how "i had to move out of my parents house" and "i dipped" work together then i really don't think i even want to have this conversation with you.

First off, if you're smart are you claim you are, you should have figured out that paying for a hotel room is not the only way to find a place to stay.
facepalm.gif
Check out short-term leases and room rentals on craigslist.

Secondly, I'm sorry if your home situation is unsafe and forced you to leave, I'll take your word for it. But the fact remains that you have posted here several times about how you have your own business and significant savings - the fact remains that you represented that you have no other choice than to live in your car when you can't find friends to crash with, and that is untrue.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
What are you planning to do inbetween terms? A lot of schools kick you out of the dorms over winter break.

Minifridge and Microwave are good.
Maybe a hotplate (alot of dorms don't allow these) or one of those electric kettles.
Some kind of toiletry basket/tray to bring in and out of the shared bathroom with you.
A robe
possibly earplugs

I was thinking more about what is he going to do during the summer.

Also, FWIW, your only choice is not a hotel room. Look for a furnished room near the University or near where you are working. It's kind of simple, even for a marsupialed cynic like me.

As to student loans paying for your dorm: the loan people don't care where you live. Pocket that money and live out of your car. I still agree with you, shelter is a big waste of money.

Usul

Reaction score
This is good advice, also: a tent?

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
once i get in my dorm, what **** will really come in handy? only thing i can think of right now is a mini fridge and microwave.
Soap, shaving stuff, toothbrush, deodorant, desk lamp, fan, enough clothes to last two weeks with out washing, clothes detergent, pillow and sheets for bed, pens and paper, laundry bag, trash can. Is really all you need. Public transit or car. The library has computers and printers you can use at most universities. If you want to eat frozen meals and popcorn, a small fridge and a microwave. Get the meal plan if you don't want to make food. The less crap you have to haul the easier it is when you have to move. You will be sharing a room the size of a shoe box with another person and a bathroom with about 50 messy 18-20 year olds. Im 25 and currently live in a dorm, its not to bad, but the constant drunkness/loud noises and lack of privacy got really annoying, but im making do. Not being from the area it was easier to move to a dorm, and its not all that bad once you get used to it. Getting a private dorm to your self is worth the money when your older, but if your just 18 room with people it will teach you how to live with others. The tent and or living in your car sounds like a bad idea, just get a dorm..... Just my opinion.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a pair of flip flops

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
uhh my dorm room had everything cept a microwave...and ya, you did sound like you were bragging, and no, I'm not a marsupialed cynic, ask around about me
smile.gif

I asked. The consensus is just marsupialed.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads