• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Plaza last wingtip in #8!

smile.gif

Longwing of course?

I am interested in this:

2sad1.jpg

2sad2.jpg

#8 Shell with Black Shell Saddle. Barrie last preferred. Exposed metal eyelets a definite.

Ravello with Cigar Saddle would be cool too but #8 is preferred and easier so do it!
fing02[1].gif

slappy

Reaction score
Damn that is wildly attractive. Though personally a sleeker last would look nicer

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Damn that is wildly attractive. Though personally a sleeker last would look nicer
I think Tom had a saddle shoe on a sleeker last but it was suede.

Now the question is should a saddle shoe be sleek?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
xeenmv.jpg

ravello medallion tips

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelw
xeenmv.jpg

ravello medallion tips

This is such a great shoe. Everything just comes together. I am jealous.
blush.gif

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody seen this before? There seems to be a stitch or some thread in the toe box area on a pair of J Crew Indy boots I just received. It doesn't touch my toes, only noticed it when I put my hand in the boot but I'm wondering if this is indicative of poor construction in some way or if it could lead to issues down the road. Sorry for the crappy photo, iPhone was the only thing that would fit in the shoe to get the picture. This is basically looking straight down the shoe at the end of the toe box.
stitchh.jpg

illumin8em

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Anybody seen this before? There seems to be a stitch or some thread in the toe box area on a pair of J Crew Indy boots I just received. It doesn't touch my toes, only noticed it when I put my hand in the boot but I'm wondering if this is indicative of poor construction in some way or if it could lead to issues down the road.

Sorry for the crappy photo, iPhone was the only thing that would fit in the shoe to get the picture. This is basically looking straight down the shoe at the end of the toe box.

stitchh.jpg

come on, you could have taken pictures of the boot while you were at it.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody seen this before? There seems to be a stitch or some thread in the toe box area on a pair of J Crew Indy boots I just received. It doesn't touch my toes, only noticed it when I put my hand in the boot but I'm wondering if this is indicative of poor construction in some way or if it could lead to issues down the road.

Sorry for the crappy photo, iPhone was the only thing that would fit in the shoe to get the picture. This is basically looking straight down the shoe at the end of the toe box.

stitchh.jpg

Was this taken with an iphone 4? In all seriousness, that's not normal and is indicative of poor construction.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry about the no full boot pics.

Photos are cropped sections from an iPhone 3GS...not the 4, hence the relatively poor quality. It's also lit with a flashlight because it turns out the toe of a boot is damn dark.

Yeah, I wasn't too happy when I found this as otherwise the boots are sweet. I have to say, I love Alden boots but I have the worst luck with them. I own two very nice pair but I have purchased 3 others and had to return them for various reasons. This is my fourth pair with some sort of issue....trying to decide if I should keep them or if I should return them because of this.

slappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
I think Tom had a saddle shoe on a sleeker last but it was suede. Now the question is should a saddle shoe be sleek?
Well Ive seen some C&J saddle shoes that were somewhat sleek and looked fantastic though they were suede and calf. I guess my point is that it might be nice to be a bit sleek, Barrie is basically the antithesis of sleek. It works for some shoes but less so for others I think. I actually just received a pair of AWW in chromexel: http://blog.leffot.com/wp-content/up.../DSC_00062.JPG Very comfortable shoes and I think that Barrie gives the shoe the character I really dig about that shoe. It's an extremely plain shoe but for some reason it's one of my favorite Alden shoes. Edit: I just wanted to add that Leffot is a great place to order from. The box came perfectly intact and unbroken. When I ordered from J.Crew the shoe box had literally blown up.

slappy

Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't too happy when I found this as otherwise the boots are sweet. I have to say, I love Alden boots but I have the worst luck with them. I own two very nice pair but I have purchased 3 others and had to return them for various reasons. This is my fourth pair with some sort of issue....trying to decide if I should keep them or if I should return them because of this.
Honestly that seems pretty irrelevant to the shoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Mostly previous styles mixed in with one or two new styles at a time. Normally 5-6 different models per preorder, which used to happen once a month.

Suggestions for reorders are always welcomed.

Tom,

I would like Scotchgrain #8 Longwings on Barrie and Unlined #8 Chukkas on Leydon

Thanks

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Mostly previous styles mixed in with one or two new styles at a time. Normally 5-6 different models per preorder, which used to happen once a month. Suggestions for reorders are always welcomed.
Tom- What would be the chance of ever seeing a plain toe boot in Cigar? Preferably Barrie last... Something similar to this but in Cigar: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...h_Boot_256.htm On that note- does anybody have this boot? Likes/dislikes? Seems like it it basically a plain toe blucher in boot form...and with commando. I wear a black plain toe blucher with nice suits- if its shiny enough its practically a tux shoe...Could I pull that off with a boot like this? does the commando make it too casual/bulky? Does anyone have any pics of this boot in action?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor
Tom- What would be the chance of ever seeing a plain toe boot in Cigar? Preferably Barrie last...

Something similar to this but in Cigar:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...h_Boot_256.htm

On that note- does anybody have this boot? Likes/dislikes? Seems like it it basically a plain toe blucher in boot form...and with commando. I wear a black plain toe blucher with nice suits- if its shiny enough its practically a tux shoe...Could I pull that off with a boot like this? does the commando make it too casual/bulky?

Does anyone have any pics of this boot in action?

I have this boot in #8. It works very well in the winters here in the NE. I wear it casually and don't think it would really work with a suit. It looks more like a work boot to be honest- a very nice work boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads