• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newbie Question

What do the various different Fit for pants mean?

Like Classic Fit, Regular Fit, Slim Fit, Urban Slim Fit?

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Newbie Question

how tight around the legs, from left to right is tighter normally.

minervau

Reaction score
Newbie Question

Classic fit is sort of a euphemism for huge, regular for fairly large, slim fit for a good, fit person. I'm not sure what "Urban Slim" is -- is that some J. Crew term?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think It might be Urban Pants with Slim Fit.. so it becomes Urban Slim Fit Pants. Yeah, it was a J. Crew term
smile.gif
Thanks for the clarification.

skander

Reaction score
After about a year, still as a college student, spent upgrading my wardrobe (on both a SW&D and a MC front, albeit lesser so) I want to see where you guys suggest I go next - I definitely think going into my senior year it's time I buffed up my formal/suiting/good shoes wear.

I have a navy Hugo Boss suit (clearly not a favorite here, but it's tailored well and I haven't been able to splurge on a suit yet, this was a Christmas gift) - probably looking towards a charcoal suit. Is there a brand I should keep on the look out for? I am looking to spend $500-$700.

In terms of shoes, I have brown Peal & Co BB monkstraps (awesome gift from my dad) that I love and use as my most formal of shoes, mainly with the suit when allowable. I also have a pair of black lace ups I rarely ware anymore because they're awful. Other than that, it's just a pair of suede desert boots and Sperrys. I have been looking into some AE after reading around the boards, seem to be in my price range. I should probably head for a simple black oxford or captoe laceup because I will need one, but I am tempted for a brown wingtip or another brown shoe that I could pair with a suit, slacks, and jeans. I know I'm asking a lot from a shoe, but I figure start stringent when you're on a budget.

Any suggestions? As a sidenote, I'm about 6 feet, 165 pounds, with a 38 chest, wear slim fitting dress shirts, jeans (APC new standards), and streetwear shirts.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I've been lurking and reading as much as I can. What a great board this is! I love some of the outfits that are being showcased in the what are you wearing thread.

Ok, so here it is: I love fashion, and I think I have a decent sense of style; problem is, I have little to no formal trianing on the subject. I sort of just buy what I think looks cool, with little understanding of "whats a good brand" and what is something based more on it's name then on it's quality. I own a few zenga suits and various designer trousers and peices, but I still feel pretty lost when it comes to knowing what I am doing in regards to building a respectable wardrobe.

My question(s) are as follows:

-What are three of four mid priced brands that I can't go wrong with. Sort of the "old faithfuls".....

-Same goes for shoes. I own Allen Edmonds shoes, but other than that, I don't know what is good and what is garbage.

-Is it ok to wear a long break in your trousers? All my trousers/pants are tailored and the break lands just above the sole of my shoe. I had a shorter break, but got many "those are two short," comments, so I had them brought down a tad.

-Also, what are some must have peices I can start to buuld a nice collection with? Grey trousers and a blue blazer? What else?

-Where can I learn more about matching colors and patters?

I'd imagine that this type of post might be somewhat irritating to some of you. Maybe you could bear with me, with the understanding that I am very motivated to learn as much as I can from all of you.

Best,

Guy from Boston
bigstar[1].gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newbie Question

Unless you're getting pants made then nothing.

If your legs are bigger then average you might find classic being skin tight.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
-What are three of four mid priced brands that I can't go wrong with. Sort of the "old faithfuls".....
Every mid-range brands have some caveats, there is no such thing as "you can't go wrong with" for mid-range. However, there are some brands whose products are decent enough. Ralph Lauren is a quintessential example. However, they have too many lines/products, so educate yourself first here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=94886
-Same goes for shoes. I own Allen Edmonds shoes, but other than that, I don't know what is good and what is garbage.
Allen Edmonds are at the bottom range of "high-end" RTW shoes. See my signature for lists of other shoemakers.
-Is it ok to wear a long break in your trousers? All my trousers/pants are tailored and the break lands just above the sole of my shoe. I had a shorter break, but got many "those are two short," comments, so I had them brought down a tad. -Also, what are some must have peices I can start to buuld a nice collection with? Grey trousers and a blue blazer? What else? -Where can I learn more about matching colors and patters? I'd imagine that this type of post might be somewhat irritating to some of you. Maybe you could bear with me, with the understanding that I am very motivated to learn as much as I can from all of you. Best, Guy from Boston
bigstar[1].gif
Get this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060191449/

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know who makes Hermes "Made in Italy" leather shoes/boots? How is the quality?

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
Quick questions regarding the "older" USA made RLP suits. Hows the fit/quality compared to the "newer" Corneliani made Polo suits? Are they more of a traditional american "boxy" cut?

Lastly what would you say is a fair price for a NEW dark gray, 2 button, single vent, RLP made in USA suit?

thanks!

Ippo

Reaction score
Where can I purchase silver tie clips for cheap? I think I recall a site being posted here that sold them, but don't remember what it was.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
I have a small hickey shirt that I need to be altered to be slimmer and shorter, but I've never had a shirt altered before.

When I take it to my alterations place, is there any essential things I need to tell the tailor in advance, or just say "I need this shirt's length to be taken up and slimmed down."

And will they be able to do it if the shirt has a floral pattern all over it?

I learned what "darts" are when I did a bit of research on google, but I don't think I've really ever seen them before. Will darts ruin the shirt's design if the tailor says I'll need them for the shirt to be slimmed to my shape, or should I just go with whatever she says?

Lastly, how much do you think it'll cost roughly for alterations on the shirt's width and length? I live in Florida, if it gives any idea. I normally pay $20 for original hems on jeans from this particular tailor.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Every mid-range brands have some caveats, there is no such thing as "you can't go wrong with" for mid-range. However, there are some brands whose products are decent enough. Ralph Lauren is a quintessential example. However, they have too many lines/products, so educate yourself first here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=94886

Allen Edmonds are at the bottom range of "high-end" RTW shoes. See my signature for lists of other shoemakers.

Get this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060191449/

Thank you!

Youre right, there are many brands out there and all of them have their flaws.

I bet, in your industry, you could name two or three quality companies, that offer their services at a reasonable price, if a friend asked you to make a recomendation.Perhaps you (and other posters) could toss out two or three brands that are of good quality at a reaosnable price. Sort of your, "go to" brands. I will then google these brands and read up on them.

Lastly, I've read a lot about thick as thieves on this site. Good suits and trousers?

Best,

Clueless Boston guy
bounce2.gif

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Allen Edmonds (Park Avenue). Most of the crappy dress shoes I've worn in the past have been a 12, which is generally my sneaker size. I noticed just a touch of heel slippage with the AE's. I bought a pair of heel liners tonight and there's really no slippage now.

So in the future, would I be best to go down half a size with AE shoes, or does it sound like sound like I should stick with a 12 and pair it with a heel liner of sorts? The liners I bought aren't terribly thick, which made me think going down even a half size may prove to be too snug.

gradytripp

Reaction score
I'm getting married in August, and I'd like to purchase a double-breasted waistcoat to go with the charcoal suit I'll be wearing. I cannot spend more than $150, and I would need to order without going in for a direct measurement as I'm living abroad right now.

Is this even possible? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads