• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

essentials when out on your own for the first time?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What did you do that made your parents kick you to the curb?

wetnose

Reaction score
Well considering it's August and it's going to be hot...I suggest getting an UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and a fan. When you visit your friends (or at work), plug in the UPS. If you have to sleep in your car, then you got the UPS charged up for running the fan.

Or you can get a tent and find the local camping ground?

Also get a small portable gas grill & a small pot so you can cook instant noodles & save money. Chicken flavor instant noodles + egg + green leafy vegetables = full meal. Cheap too. Also get a frying pan so you can make omelettes too.

If you have space in your car, then get a cooler and stack it with ice. Voila - now you have a small fridge for storing cold cuts. Make sure the ice is regularly replenished. Do not store raw meats in there.

Get a gym membership so you can shower frequently.

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
I hear there's a store in Tribecca that sells pink axes. Could come in handy when homeless...

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
Get a gym membership so you can shower frequently.

lol
laugh.gif
Back when I was still in school, a fellow grad student got kicked out of his apartment. He lived in his cubicle, showered in the school gym, eat Ramen noodles until graduate (6 months).

Usul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
lol
laugh.gif
Back when I was still in school, a fellow grad student got kicked out of his apartment. He lived in his cubicle, showered in the school gym, eat Ramen noodles until graduate (6 months).

And then waht? Was he able to find a full time position as a homeless person somewhere?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
And then waht? Was he able to find a full time position as a homeless person somewhere?

The school didn't really know since it's normal for a grad student to work overnight. Career-wise, it doesn't affect him that much. He got a postdoc position in another school. I have no clue if he's still doing that.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pick up a ******* clue and some balls. A GF might help as well.

P.S. you're not "homeless."

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
What did you do that made your parents kick you to the curb?

They didn't. I dipped.

I don't get the iPhone/MacBook/back with parents quip. I was able to purchase those myself in the past. It doesn't make sense to rent an apartment for a month.

I also won't rent a room for a month. Huge waste of cash, especially considering I could go across town and live with my dad for a while.

I'd rather do this. More fun. Last night i crashed at a buddy's house. Tonight I'm crashing at another friends house.

I probably wont end up sleeping in my car more than a couple times.

Bbl. Posting this from the apple store iPad.

imschatz

Reaction score
Not joking .. but if it isn't too far out of the way, crash at the airport. No one looks twice at a well groomed individual sleeping at the airport. Also lots of amenities, and the like.

I've read stories of people who have lived at the airport for months at a time.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't you just use Starwood Points to stay in a Westin/W/Meridien for a month or two?
confused.gif

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
long story short i had to move out of my parents house.

i'm 19, moving on campus at UNI in august. in the mean time i am bouncing around between friends houses, mostly keeping all of my **** in my car. here's what i have:

macbook
iphone
toothbrush
toothpaste
shampoo
soap
clothes
pillow
blanket

i may have to sleep in my car every now and then. not sure yet. i don't want to be a burden on my friends.

any items i should consider picking up out there to make this temporarily homeless situation a bit more bearable?

They didn't. I dipped.

I don't get the iPhone/MacBook/back with parents quip. I was able to purchase those myself in the past. It doesn't make sense to rent an apartment for a month.

I also won't rent a room for a month. Huge waste of cash, especially considering I could go across town and live with my dad for a while.

I'd rather do this. More fun. Last night i crashed at a buddy's house. Tonight I'm crashing at another friends house.

I probably wont end up sleeping in my car more than a couple times.

Bbl. Posting this from the apple store iPad.

WTF is wrong with you? I promise, SF would think you are just as cool if you had come out and said "I decided to leave my parent's house for a month or two and bum around. I dont really feel like paying to stay anywhere - advise?" rather than implying that you got kicked out of your house and have no other option than to bum around and sleep in your car.
plain.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

So why does getting a room in August stop being a "huge waste of cash." Do this through your entire post-secondary education.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So why does getting a room in August stop being a "huge waste of cash." Do this through your entire post-secondary education.

lol8[1].gif

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where you staying in nawlins, bro? and what university?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

because there is a difference between me paying for a hotel room and my financial aid paying for a dorm room. the dorm room ends up costing about $20 a day. compare that to a hotel room, consider i don't yet have my financial aid money.

Originally Posted by oman
where you staying in nawlins, bro? and what university?

UNO. i mainly stay in kenner and metairie just outside of new orleans.

Originally Posted by RedLantern
WTF is wrong with you? I promise, SF would think you are just as cool if you had come out and said "I decided to leave my parent's house for a month or two and bum around. I dont really feel like paying to stay anywhere - advise?" rather than implying that you got kicked out of your house and have no other option than to bum around and sleep in your car.
plain.gif

if you're not smart enough to understand how "i had to move out of my parents house" and "i dipped" work together then i really don't think i even want to have this conversation with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads