• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket square size

dj-jd

Reaction score
I wear a smaller size, 36R, and I have just recently begun trying to wear pocket squares. I find that after I fold them as directed they do not fit right into the pocket; I have to fold the edges of the square inward more and manipulate the folded square quite a bit to get it to fit in the pocket. I assume this is because of my small jacket size. Is there anything I can do about this? I have different size squares, but it doesn't seem to matter much.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 41-42 and I have the same problem so I'm not sure it is your small suit size. All pocket squares seem to be sized so that if you fold them the way that the diagrams show you to (for a TV fold), they will be slightly too big. It's some sort of conspiracy designed to make me late every morning.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
I wear a smaller size, 36R, and I have just recently begun trying to wear pocket squares. I find that after I fold them as directed they do not fit right into the pocket; I have to fold the edges of the square inward more and manipulate the folded square quite a bit to get it to fit in the pocket. I assume this is because of my small jacket size. Is there anything I can do about this? I have different size squares, but it doesn't seem to matter much.

I always have to fold and play around with my pockets squares to get them to fit in my pocket as well. Use smaller squares, such as 12"x12" and that will help to relieve excess material which needs to be folded to fit.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
IAll pocket squares seem to be sized so that if you fold them the way that the diagrams show you to (for a TV fold), they will be slightly too big. .

Phew. And all this while I thought I wasn't doing it right or something....

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dj-jd, An interesting post. Pocket squares should in theory not have problems fitting most pockets. Can you please provide more details such as the type of pocket square -cotton, silk? Size? and the length and width of your jacket pocket. We try hard to make each type of silk, cotton, linen, wool etc. pocket square be the correct size for the fabric. But it is hard to make everyone happy as some like bigger squares and some smaller. Of course we are always happy to make a custom made pocket square to the exact size that you request as long as we have the fabric on hand. Kent Wang is also often able to make pocket squares as you wish.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with a linen RLPL square. It's gigantic. Don't have any problems with my Brioni or Muji ones

jemcgarvey

Reaction score
I've found pocket squares to come in several somewhat standard sizes, but none of these fits a suit pocket when folded in thirds (for TV fold). My smaller ones are about 11-12" square, which is nice for the silk ones, which I usually just stuff in casually, but I always have to fold the white linen ones in thirds and a third (with an excess of maybe 1.5") in order to keep it from bunching up. These smaller ones are Robert Talbott and Jos. A. Bank, so I doubt their uncommon sizes.

Why is the standard size not exactly 3 times the width of a standard jacket pocket? (I know there are variations, but most pockets seem to be very close)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find they vary a lot in size. I have to fold mine in all sorts of ways to fit my breast pockets, which also vary a lot in size even by the same maker.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cloth is woven in 90 or 150 cm widths. Square-makers have to balance between fitting in the pocket and wasting expensive silk or linen. Usually the cost of the cloth wins.

Industry standard for a handkerchief is 16-19" on a side. What is called a pocket square is usually 11-12". Folded or stuffed, the 11-12" sizes tend to fall down and disappear in a pocket.

Handkerchiefs may be too large to fold but are right-sized for stuffing, and stuffing is what you want to do anyway. Folding looks studied and studied is to be avoided if you agree with the writing of Hardy Amies, Alan Flusser and most other authoritative writers on dress.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Industry standard for a handkerchief is 16-19" on a side. What is called a pocket square is usually 11-12". Folded or stuffed, the 11-12" sizes tend to fall down and disappear in a pocket.

Handkerchiefs may be too large to fold but are right-sized for stuffing, and stuffing is what you want to do anyway. Folding looks studied and studied is to be avoided if you agree with the writing of Hardy Amies, Alan Flusser and most other authoritative writers on dress.

Orly? For me, silk = fluffed and stuffed, while cotton or linen = folded.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only wear cotton or linen so folded is also the way for me as well.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
12 inches x 12 inches is the ideal for me.

Insight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Orly? For me, silk = fluffed and stuffed, while cotton or linen = folded.

+1

Also, folded for business/serious, stuffed for play/casual.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy my pocket squares. I'll even make you a custom size one if you want. Check out my link in the signature.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads