• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know it's becoming my thing to complain about, but selling on the forums is a bigger headache than selling on eBay. I've had a number of headcases in my decade of selling on eBay, but those are spread out cases among a lot of quality buyers.

There's already the aforementioned disappearing buyers, but then there's the guy who will PM you and be all, "Oh hai, if no one buys your stuff, I'd be willing to offer you a clear low-ball offer of X dollars. Let me know!"

For the sake of avoiding a civil war, this happened over at SuFu.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
sufu is the worst. a bunch of asians from ucla or some socal college or guys from singapore who think shipping to singapore is somehow free

also. it's crazy how much rick, annd, ccp, margiela, raf, and other dark and dreary sz brands are in sale threads. Like every other thread has rick owens in the title

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I know it's becoming my thing to complain about, but selling on the forums is a bigger headache than selling on eBay. I've had a number of headcases in my decade of selling on eBay, but those are spread out cases among a lot of quality buyers.

There's already the aforementioned disappearing buyers, but then there's the guy who will PM you and be all, "Oh hai, if no one buys your stuff, I'd be willing to offer you a clear low-ball offer of X dollars. Let me know!"

For the sake of avoiding a civil war, this happened over at SuFu.

Happens here all the time too. The amount of ridiculous lowballing is just preposterous.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst kind of disappearing buyer is the ones who ask for your paypal and are supposed to make the transaction, and then never make contact again.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
Happens here all the time too. The amount of ridiculous lowballing is just preposterous.
I think the insane measurement questions on cheap items is the worst for me. When i was trying to dump like $10-20 items and people asking for arm hole measurements thigh at the crotch seam, 3" down from the crotch, the knee, and calf and weird **** like that i would just tell the people i'd rather just give them to someone willing to pay for shipping or throw them away. Most the time, if i have a basic measurements "waist, inseam, hem" and then just ask the person's honest opinion on how they fit i'm good and it works most the time. Going purely off thigh measurements is the worst thing. The measurement doesn't always tell the whole story and different people measure different ways and can be off just because of human error or the fit is slimmer/looser than the measurement indicates, etc...

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sufu is the worst. hands down. this forum has its flakers, but my god, sufu takes the cake. dude wanted me to ship my mmms gats to australia at half the price i was asking. wtf? i didn't even respond.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Low balling is crazy.

"I will take it for free shipping with 50% off your marked price"

and then later:

"Why don't you respond to my P.M's???"

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had some lowballing fun with asobu
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i was kidding though after his rant about lowballing in a PM

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I know it happens here. It just hasn't happened to me recently. I didn't want anyone who I've interacted with via PM the last couple of weeks to think I was referring to them. Except for the dude who told me he was sending payment for something in the next day and then stopped responding to messages, even though he's logged in every day since.

I'm salty about that, but more because the lack of a "Hey, turns out I can't buy the shirt." A message like that, though disappointing, would show more maturity than ignoring messages like you're Kevin McCallister hiding under his parents' bed because Old Man Marley scared you.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
sufu is the worst. a bunch of asians from ucla or some socal college or guys from singapore who think shipping to singapore is somehow free also. it's crazy how much rick, annd, ccp, margiela, raf, and other dark and dreary sz brands are in sale threads. Like every other thread has rick owens in the title
Most of it is crap though. SuFu could be alot better. The marketplace has alot of people on it and I do find things I like.

ryannn

Reaction score
Speaking of SuFu transactions, I sold a guy a pair of CP safari boots a few weeks back, and he got them and guess he didn't like them so he was trying to resell them. He PMs me last night or this morning telling me that I sold him samples and he's hosed about it. Sounds fishy, but maybe Oki-Ni sold me samples.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
i had some lowballing fun with asobu
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i was kidding though after his rant about lowballing in a PM

hehe, yeah, I'm so used to it so I didn't even reflect on it (although I didn't expect it from you). you wouldn't believe how many of those I've gotten in the last few weeks.

Seriously, people send you **** like "Hey. I'll give you $80 shipped for that rare raf bomber. let me know" and seem to think it's a fair deal. ****. smh.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate the "can you hold X until Friday?" i've done that twice and have gotten burned. turned away prospective buyers while waiting for money that never arrives. never again unless i've done business with people before, which i have an uncanny ability to remember that kind of stuff.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Oh, I know it happens here. It just hasn't happened to me recently. I didn't want anyone who I've interacted with via PM the last couple of weeks to think I was referring to them.

Yeah, I feel you. It happened to me a lot, but all the dudes I've completed transactions on here with have been really easy to deal with.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Luckily I've had mostly positive experiences selling stuff here except for a few twats that I would ignore.

Only dumbasses hold ****, there are no dibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics