• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DE Shaving Progress ^ Advice

juniper

Reaction score
Ok, so we're four weeks in, and I'm now at this stage:

1. I'm using a Merkur 34C with Feather blades. Tried derby (ok), Vidyut (crap), Gilette 7'oclock (good), Feather (best)

2. I can do two with-the grain passes with no nicks reliably now.

3. I can do against-the-grain above the chin-line reliably

4. I have to do against-the-grain under the chin-line with a Mach 3 to finish off, because I rip myself to shreds trying to do it with the DE. I have very thick stubble, so need both with and against.

5. I'm using Proraso sensitive pre-shave, Proraso sensitive soap, badger brush, and alum block as an aftershave.

Any advice on 4? Just more practice, or am I likely to be doing something wrong? I've been careful on angle.

Also, do you think a slant-blade razor might reduce the two with-the-grain passes to one? It seems to be recommended for thick hair and sensitive skin.

Also, should I try an adjustable razor? I seem to get a very close shave with this one - so under what circumstances would someone need to go adjustable?

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
Ok, so we're four weeks in, and I'm now at this stage:

1. I'm using a Merkur 34C with Feather blades. Tried derby (ok), Vidyut (crap), Gilette 7'oclock (good), Feather (best)

2. I can do two with-the grain passes with no nicks reliably now.

3. I can do against-the-grain above the chin-line reliably

4. I have to do against-the-grain under the chin-line with a Mach 3 to finish off, because I rip myself to shreds trying to do it with the DE. I have very thick stubble, so need both with and against.

5. I'm using Proraso sensitive pre-shave, Proraso sensitive soap, badger brush, and alum block as an aftershave.

Any advice on 4? Just more practice, or am I likely to be doing something wrong? I've been careful on angle.

Also, do you think a slant-blade razor might reduce the two with-the-grain passes to one? It seems to be recommended for thick hair and sensitive skin.

Also, should I try an adjustable razor? I seem to get a very close shave with this one - so under what circumstances would someone need to go adjustable?

I would imagine you get better replies over at Badger & Blade.

dron

Reaction score
on the very difficult areas i do with the grain, cross the grain (left to right), cross the grain (right to left) and against the grain.
besure to add a lot of water between the passes under the lather.
i also like to use a pre shave oil.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Under the chin can be tough. Have you tried tilting your head forward to flatten out the skin around your chin? That works for me.

sellahi22

Reaction score
your post sounds pretty rough. i get a very close shave with my mach 3 and no pre shave oil (but I use a brush). are there any advantages to DE shaving besides cost?

ferguscan

Reaction score
Don't just go with the grain then against. I do 4 passes for baby butt smooth:

- with the grain
- 45 degrees with the grain
- 45 degrees against the grain
- against the grain

Then touch ups. The slant is awesome. I have no desire to use my regular Merkur now that I have a slant.

Also, try Astra blades. Not quite as sharp as Feathers, but smoother IMO, and much cheaper.

Finally. prep is very important. Get a decent shaving stick (Arko is as good as any, and is practically free on eBay), get a badger brush, and face lather for at least 1 minute before shaving. You should have enough lather left in the brush for the remaining passes (see above).

BBRex

Reaction score
It probably comes down to practice. Also, is that the last place you shave? If so, you might want to reapply some shaving cream.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads