• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would imagine there's a quick fix for the antenna problem. Either software to turn off one of the antennas if this is being caused by a short (which would have its own problems) or putting an insulating film/coating on the metal. It'll be interesting to see how Apple reacts and whether there's a recall. EDIT: Or maybe not ... http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...npage_engadget

Opermann

Reaction score
I was very much against Apple, the "sheeple" that bought their products, and the cult of personality that was reluctant to criticize them or their products. I was actually given a first generation iPhone a few years ago and fell in love with its elegant OS and seamless implementation of almost every feature. Since then, I hardly consider myself a fanboy but I do appreciate what Apple brings to the table, especially for the average user who doesn't need a boatload of extra features. They just need it to work and look good. I build my own PCs and generally have a very independent view of technology, but damn the iPhone is pretty elegant and fun to use. My wife had a Blackberry Storm last year and that thing was a nightmare in comparison.

Regarding the reception problem... I actually have no problems with the antenna or reception, neither do many other users. It seems to vary depending on the signal strength in your area. Some people are even able to re-create this on their 3GS (running iOS 4) so it may not be limited to the iPhone 4. I mean, if you place your hand against the antenna of any cell phone the dbs are going to decrease a little, and signal strength flucuates all the time. Seems like it could be a potential problem with many users, but I personally have not noticed.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jobsemail.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone was raving about it on facebook because it had "camera plus video".

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reception problem with bumper:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Maybe this is why Jobs lost reception at the demo?

jobs3.png

lefty

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is why Jobs lost reception at the demo?
Nah, he lost WiFi reception (not 3G). That antenna is on the top left.
Originally Posted by Opermann
I mean, if you place your hand against the antenna of any cell phone the dbs are going to decrease a little, and signal strength flucuates all the time.
Right. Apple doesn't need any more defenders, but I can reproduce this problem on my EDGE iPhone by covering the black area with my hand. It's a common problem with cell phones. --- I've read a lot of requests for iPhones with larger screens, and I'm in that group too. A larger screen draws more power, though (see the EVO 4G), so Apple won't add it until they solve that problem or improve battery tech. So don't expect a big screen for another year or two. Knowing Apple, they'll add a larger screen as an incremental upgrade, so the "iPhone HD" or whatever is just an iPhone 4 with a larger screen.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
btw this picture from the cnn article on the iphone antenna problems cracks me up:
t1larg.iphone.reception.jpg
it looks like they should be all talking to each other through a sheet of glass, maybe on telephones.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when I would walk by the Apple store and look at the line, it was entirely filled with people like that. It was definitely an "urban" demographic in terms of who was waiting before the release and I have no idea where the geeky guys were.
Originally Posted by Douglas
btw this picture from the cnn article on the iphone antenna problems cracks me up:
t1larg.iphone.reception.jpg
it looks like they should be all talking to each other through a sheet of glass, maybe on telephones.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
I'm confused. I'm actually anxious to buy from AT&T because people are charging 1000+ claiming to have unlocked iPhone 4, when I've heard nothing about anything unlock being released. I figure after reading this that I can buy as a gift and not sign up or buying and terminating for a large fee. Am I on the right track? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/2...c/11/s10063961

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yeah, you can buy a no-contract 16GB for $599 or 32GB for $699. They're still locked to AT&T, though, and iOS 4.0 has not been jailbroken yet.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
So when I would walk by the Apple store and look at the line, it was entirely filled with people like that. It was definitely an "urban" demographic in terms of who was waiting before the release and I have no idea where the geeky guys were.

It used to be that you could pay people to stand in line for you, like passport/visa services used to do.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
^^ Yeah, you can buy a no-contract 16GB for $599 or 32GB for $699. They're still locked to AT&T, though, and iOS 4.0 has not been jailbroken yet.

just went to at&t and they said no
confused.gif

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B Hamilton
just went to at&t and they said no
confused.gif

No because they're not allowing it? Or because they have no stock and they need to fill pre-orders first?

At WWDC Jobs said the iPhone 4 would be available off-contract. When is another story, since the phone is sold out everywhere.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
No because they're not allowing it? Or because they have no stock and they need to fill pre-orders first? At WWDC Jobs said the iPhone 4 would be available off-contract. When is another story, since the phone is sold out everywhere.
well they arent selling til tuesday, but he said no. i brought up the idea of buying and canceling afterwards for a termination fee, but he said theres a 30 day period and all this other bs that wouldnt make it worth the trouble. idk if thats some eveil apple plan but i guess i'll just be buying mines through ebay and waiting for an unlock edit: i went to at&t, could it be different at Apple store

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads