• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eglbc
pizza warz.
what are some other spots to check?
Im curious about this croatian place Pavichs in Palos verdes.

any good neopolitan brick oven rec's?
Wanting to try anticas in marina del ray.

Thanks for mentioning anticas. Its literally 5 minutes from my spot. I'll see if I can make it over there for some take out this weekend.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanting to try anticas in marina del ray.

Just got back. It's pretty good, but its no mozza

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
pizza warz.
what are some other spots to check?

any good neopolitan brick oven rec's?

my fave pizza right now is Bollini's in Monterey Park. The guy was a high end chef, went to Naples and apprenticed in making authentic Neopolitan pizza for several years, came back and opened Bollinis in his hometown. He even brought over an authentic wood burning oven from Naples and if you like thin crust it's not gonna get much better than this. Comes out of the oven with a perfect crust, never limp and right amount of chew. Prices are quite low ($15 for most large sizes) and his Funghi e Tartufi mushroom pizza is probably one of the best pies you'll ever eat, if you like 'shrooms

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Jas, how've you been?

I need to try that and the creme brulee french toast you were talking about.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Hey Kelv, been good man, thanks for asking.

there's also a new hotdog joint in Pasadena, it's at the location of where Fredo's used to be (which was the BEST philly cheese shop anywhere in Socal) on north Lake, it's called Slaw Dogs and has been getting some good writeups. Havent been myself but it's an SGV alternative to Wurstkuche

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
Damn, I was just there 2-3 months ago.

where Fredo's? if so you werent there when the original owner, Dan, ran it. He sold it about a year and half or more ago, since he wanted to expand his biz and change the name. The Fredo's that was operating the last year or so has the name but they didnt make the sandwiches the same since Dan took all his secrets with him and didnt sell it along with the restaurant.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had it twice. 2 years ago when the original owner was there and more recently with the new management. John's philly grill is pretty good in huntington beach. I think I even suggested we meet there when I was getting my first suit done !

VisaLivingSocial

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

Okay, raise your hand if you don't like spending less to get a great experience in a great city. Since I can't see any raised hands, I'm pretty sure everyone here likes to save, which is why you might be interested in LivingSocial. Every day, LivingSocial will offer an amazing deal (we're talking up-to-90%-off amazing) for local restaurants, bars, spas, theaters, and more.

The thing is, people generally don't like to go to these things by themselves...and now you won't have to! For today only, when you buy the deal for Mendocino Farms with your Visa card, you score another deal for a friend!

Don't miss out: www.livingsocial.com

Joel Dominic
Visa Outreach Team

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ huh?

anyways, I finaly went to Animal.
zomgbbqpizzafuuuu that was one of the better meals Ive had in LA.
chimichurri bone marrow, fried quail w. bacons, grilled octopus, and bacon chocolate crisp were all highlights. dinner for 2 was 110 with a beer, glass of good wine, and a carafe of house wine. not bad!

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrissy at Rudy's on Melrose is great at Men's hair. I've tried a bunch of people and she gets it right everytime.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some suit pants hemmed around the hollywood or pasadena area. Any reccomendations?

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I didn't read through this whole thread, but I'll rep it again if someone already said it: sushi in Little Tokyo near downtown is incredible. My favorite is restaurant Komasa. They don't take reservations, so go with a small party (usually just my fiance and I) and you'll get in in a half hour or so. There are plenty of other great Japanese restaurants down there as well. The sushi at Komasa is melt-in-your mouth good, and the place is family owned...the man who owns it is in his 70s and is behind the counter every night. Incredible. The place two doors down is great as well. (can't recall the name) Komasa is also inexpensive. You don't come here for rolls, you come here for real sushi.

There is another great place for authentic sushi on Sunset right on the strip. It is totally unassuming, upstairs in a little strip mall. It is called Sushi Park. Very expensive, but authentic as well, to the point where there is a sign on the way in that says: "We don't serve rolls, salad, teryaki, or tempura" You'll drop twice the amount of cash here, but the nigiri is some of the best i've had. I'd still go to Little Tokyo over this.

JonB27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
my fave pizza right now is Bollini's in Monterey Park. The guy was a high end chef, went to Naples and apprenticed in making authentic Neopolitan pizza for several years, came back and opened Bollinis in his hometown. He even brought over an authentic wood burning oven from Naples and if you like thin crust it's not gonna get much better than this. Comes out of the oven with a perfect crust, never limp and right amount of chew. Prices are quite low ($15 for most large sizes) and his Funghi e Tartufi mushroom pizza is probably one of the best pies you'll ever eat, if you like 'shrooms

I'm gonna go check this place out over the weekend!

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
I need some suit pants hemmed around the hollywood or pasadena area. Any reccomendations?

I use Tony's Tailor on Las Tunas Drive in San Gabriel. He was actually recommended by some peeps on this forum.

This thread is making me miss home... can't wait to try all these new places.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads