• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seriously considering going back for a PhD... (Update: and now it's in motion)

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
HWta school + GPA cause if it aint Big1 or law or finance Id ont care and ur an idiuot

fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by JayJay
Good idea, IMO, given your love for research and zeal for learning. I'd suggest the following:

- Go to the school that provides an accomplished faculty who are doing research in your areas of interest.

- Make sure that the school will provide you with full multi-year (3-4 years) funding (i.e., tuition, competitive stipend, and insurance). More funding may be available via grants ranging from internal grants for travel and research to federally funded grants.

- Make sure that faculty work with graduate students and share authorship with them on collaborate projects.

- As someone else posted, talk to current graduate students to hear what they say about the program, their quality of graduate student life, and the opportunities made available to them.

- Look at where recent graduates have been placed and the average completion rate for the program.

Take your time and find a school that seems to be the best fit for your interest and ambitions. Good luck!

Yeah, all good advice, been looking at pretty much most of those.

Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
What do you want to do for a career once you've got the PhD? It probably makes more sense to figure that out first before deciding if you need the doctorate.

As a current PhD student, my vote for you is "no".

Originally Posted by philosophe
JayJay's note makes a lot of sense. Programs in which everyone competes every year for fellowships are notoriously miserable.

Why are you interested in a PhD? Are you interested in an academic career?

Ideally I would like it to be something like 20% teaching 40% research 40% outside work/consulting/etc.

I've had enough exposure to academia, including on a graduate/phd level to have an understanding of how things work and to formulate a strategy for exactly what I would like to do/accomplish. Getting older, gaining perspective, and learning from your old mistakes is a *****, but it's also pretty ******* great - I am much more clear on what I want out of life and my career at this point.

Basically I am looking to set myself up for doing something enjoyable and productive for the next 40-50 years.

Also, it would have to be one of the top schools or nothing at all. My credentials are competitive, but you never know with 20-50 people competing for each spot . I have about 6 months to put a solid application together, and that's that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Also, it would have to be one of the top schools or nothing at all.
The top school is defined by the reputation/quality of the faculty, and the one who ends up being your advisor.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bishop491
I have the feeling--and you probably should, too--that it's going to be like going through the BA/BS again
Nope, not at all... you'll see.

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Good luck, bro. A PhD in business/finance/econ will attract lots of job offers from the private sector as well.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The top school is defined by the reputation/quality of the faculty, and the one who ends up being your advisor.

What if the school had an amazing department in one of the sub-fields and the main guy who headed for a decade or two leaves/retires? Is the reputation gone or still some goodwill left at least?

Also I have a connection to a very good school, it's not my top choice even though it's one of the top world-class schools, but I am well-connected to the faculty there and communicate with them on a very regular basis. Should I push it a little with them and express my interests (they don't know that I want to do a PhD yet) ? Technically they would be the guys i go to for recommendations.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that academia is (or at least should be) driven by intellectual horsepower, but what is usually considered the top level of academics? Top 10 schools in the field? Top 10 global universities? Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge only?

What would really open all the doors a PhD can open? Also, what's more important after what JayJay mentioned, where you went to school or where you end up teaching?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MUST be a top school. Actually, I wouldn't even recommend that anyone consider a primary or elementary school program unless it's top 3. Not a single person that didn't go to a top school has ever had a good job.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what attracts me to academia is that I can wear "eccentric" outfits to the boardrooms and feel great about it..
smile.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
MUST be a top school. Actually, I wouldn't even recommend that anyone consider a primary or elementary school program unless it's top 3. Not a single person that didn't go to a top school has ever had a good job.

I'm sorry, my sarcasm meter just blew the **** up, was that you by any chance?

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that academia is (or at least should be) driven by intellectual horsepower, but what is usually considered the top level of academics? Top 10 schools in the field? Top 10 global universities? Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge only?

What would really open all the doors a PhD can open? Also, what's more important after what JayJay mentioned, where you went to school or where you end up teaching?

I think what matters more is your research field and advisor. One of the running jokes in my department at college (an Ivy, top in this field) is that almost all of the phd grads aren't good enough to get a job at the school they get their phd from. I've heard the same at harvard as well, and for the most part, placement stats prove this. You could be at a decent school with amazing research and end up getting a tenure track job at a top school

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
I think what matters more is your research field and advisor. One of the running jokes in my department at college (an Ivy, top in this field) is that almost all of the phd grads aren't good enough to get a job at the school they get their phd from. I've heard the same at harvard as well, and for the most part, placement stats prove this. You could be at a decent school with amazing research and end up getting a tenure track job at a top school

Would you say the ability to put out top research is driven more by the individual or the department he/she is at?

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the individual, just from anecdotal evidence. Maybe even some luck. And its really more than just intelligence. I know too many phd grads from top schools who are ridiculously smart but their research just doesn't cut it.

John152

Reaction score
Would you say the ability to put out top research is driven more by the individual or the department he/she is at?

It is heavily dependent on the individual, but it also helps a lot to have a good adviser who you can bounce ideas around with. As I'm sure you know, putting out original, publishable research is a lot more difficult than writing a good paper as an undergrad. Sometimes just coming up with the idea itself is harder than writing the paper. This is where a good adviser can really help, especially if they're very familiar with the area you're working in.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John152
It is heavily dependent on the individual, but it also helps a lot to have a good adviser who you can bounce ideas around with. As I'm sure you know, putting out original, publishable research is a lot more difficult than writing a good paper as an undergrad. Sometimes just coming up with the idea itself is harder than writing the paper. This is where a good adviser can really help, especially if they're very familiar with the area you're working in.

Makes sense, it would help to have feedback from someone who really understand the body of knowledge and its direction for a particular discipline...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads