• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike! It's one of those vintage gems I found at a local cherity shop a few years back.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Windowpane Wednesday.

I am on the fence with this SC. It is linen, Polo, made in Italy. Completely unconstructed. Originally I bought a different SC from this vendor, which was too small. I took this in exchange. I want to like it, I really do. Wish it was a tad bit shorter. I will let the board comment.

Pants are Polo as well as is shirt and tie. Shoes are BB loafers, very fun. Belt is Rugby.

Have a good one, and keep your eyes on the tropics my friends residing in the Gulf South.

Mike

WPW-6.jpg

WPW-8.jpg

WPW-1.jpg

WPW-2.jpg

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Les Paul is an excellent choice for that song. You seem to be getting terrific sustain out of it, too. It's still going strong in every quote.

Congratulations, elgreco; your cunning deployment of several half-naked, sweaty, sports-playing fellows has won you the approbation of an entire men's clothing forum

Originally Posted by Doral
Thanks for all the constructive criticism and suggestions guys. Live and learn
thumbs-up.gif
.. I guess that I will have to eat some crow and tell her that she was right. Although we did have a good laugh about my choice of colors over dinner later that evening and why I was off of my game.

Mind if I chime in?

I could have seen it working if:
- The jacket was a little darker - light brown or at least fairly tan - and perhaps subtly textured. A tiny houndstooth weave would have been splendid
- You wore a grey shirt with a midnight blue or black necktie to take more of the edge off the trousers
- You wore reddish or medium brown laceups
- The silhouette was a little sleeker, perhaps in the vein of ManofKent's

I hope that you don't feel piled-on

Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Barims, your sunglasses are tyrannically aweseome.
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Looking like a true Despot with the beard and DB. Vox would be so proud.
worship.gif

Mike

Thanks, fellows, I do seem a touch imperious wearing them here in Ghana

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
New jacket, 85% cashmere 15% silk; 100% badass, I love it.

You know that I like your effusive approach, but the festive floral seems a touch floaty to blend with the earthier pieces successfully

The jacket's a smash, however. Enjoy your long, hot summer, R

Originally Posted by SK8
Ain't i clean, bad machine
Super cool, super mean

It's a 'Pusherman' quote; it's a compliment in my book. 'Freddy's Dead' is my favourite song on the album, however

Originally Posted by Holdfast
Very cool. The sunglasses are awesome. Even Adam Boulton appears to approve.
smile.gif

My day would have been incomplete if he didn't

Thanks, C

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Yes! The beard & glasses look great. Hat trick from Gyan tonight?

It is Germany; I realise this is partly a World Cup of upsets, but I'd be surprised if that was the case

On the other hand, we only need to hold them to a draw, and I could certainly anticipate that

Rather warm and sunny:

20100623_main.jpg

Excellent ensemble today; you have a real facility for summer where others (myself included) would struggle

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
f37f21a2.jpg

This is, in principle, dashing, but - and I am giving him quite the press today - a ManofKent-esque texturing would not go amiss

Specifically, the tie: a burgundy knit or grenadine seems more appealing given the jaunty nature of your outfit

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather warm and sunny:

MoK - terrific and fresh combination (as usual), but how about investing into a trouser press or something? Or is that "your thing"?

Originally Posted by PandArts
Dark and wet morning:

I love the clean lines and simplicity of your outfits like this.

Windowpane Wednesday.

I think I like it ... but a full body shot would be nice.
smile.gif

New shoes...

So, they fit? I think you made them work good. I always think of spectators with lighter pants, but why not try something different?

Yes, it's BBBF. I like the general silhouette and most things about it.
<SNIP>
Anyway, I'm waffling, but I guess what I'm saying is that I like BBBF but also like my Ede items. They're different looks and create a different impression, but I'm not convinced one is absolutely a better silhouette than the other. The BBBF is more stylish (and more SF-approved), the Ede bespoke more balanced to my eye. I do think it probably suits my build better than some of my older Ede MTM and my RLPL RTW, though there's room in my wardrobe for all those different silhouettes.

Thank you for interacting on this - I found it very interesting. I think you have a well balanced outlook on it (I would say you do on most things sartorial). A mature dresser appreciates various things for various reasons. I own (and frequently wear) a BBBF suit, but I too don't wear it like TB would. I think it can be fun as something different - and in the context of an entire wardrobe / style. I don't think designers REALLY expect anyone to dress like their runway models - we are to take their ideas and incorporate them into our own. I believe Vox posted photos of his BBBF DB a while back, and he also managed to use it as something different, but workable in the greater context. I've seen Lufty and Foxx do that as well.

Originally Posted by elgreco
Air Guitar: Les Paul Custom Silverburst (it has to be better than my real guitar, right?!?!?)
Song (being played by DJ): Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine"

I am not sure this is SF approved behavior ... you should have taken off your pants, socks and shoes to prevent any wrinkling and scratching first, and then slid across the stage.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see the suits out again, Oldog!

Mike

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20100623_end.jpg

I like the informal touch of the un-cuffed white trousers...and the chapeau rocks.

Dark and wet morning:
Fit_062310_03.jpg

That tie is another vintage gem, JB. That reminds me to pick up one of those classics for myself.

New shoes...

f37f21a2.jpg

Nice use of the solid tie.

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

I often see lighter-grey pinstripes that look unappealing but I do like this.

As PandArts mentioned, it's a rainy day here in Chicago.
d7064e6b.jpg
5a394fc0.jpg

ed9b50d8.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New shoes...

Love those shoes. Not quite buying them with the outfit, but they're great!

20100623_main.jpg

Good.

Dark and wet morning...

Classic colours.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9...ullengthat.jpg

Thank you; I have all the individual elements of this look, so will steal in the future.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by gregaz
I own (and frequently wear) a BBBF suit, but I too don't wear it like TB would. I think it can be fun as something different - and in the context of an entire wardrobe / style. I don't think designers REALLY expect anyone to dress like their runway models - we are to take their ideas and incorporate them into our own. I believe Vox posted photos of his BBBF DB a while back, and he also managed to use it as something different, but workable in the greater context. I've seen Lufty and Foxx do that as well.

Yep. I think that's the whole point & fun of game really; figuring out what pleases your eye.

Feeling slouchy & crumpled...

jun23.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Spoo, where might one happen upon spectators such as those--they certainly are lovely!

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
^ sweet combo, oldog.

Thanks, Parker, et al. That should be SWEAT combo, however. As much as I enjoy dressing, and though I did it regardless of the weather for the first 25 years I practiced my profession, DC summers have defeated me for the last decade. I suppose I could blame the decline in my standards on the "business casual" boom, but it's really just that I've sacrificed professional dress, when it's not absolutely necessary, for comfort when the mercury and humidity reach the stratosphere. I'm still inspired by the golden age; but more this:

than this:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice summer look, MOK.

Mike

Originally Posted by JPHardy
Most excellent

Cheers guys.

Windowpane Wednesday.

I am on the fence with this SC. It is linen, Polo, made in Italy. Completely unconstructed. Originally I bought a different SC from this vendor, which was too small. I took this in exchange. I want to like it, I really do. Wish it was a tad bit shorter. I will let the board comment.

Pants are Polo as well as is shirt and tie. Shoes are BB loafers, very fun. Belt is Rugby.

Have a good one, and keep your eyes on the tropics my friends residing in the Gulf South.

Mike

Difficult to judge the length without a full shot. For me the fabric says summer yet the pattern says Scottish winter so it doesn't feel right - but that's coming from an Englishman so take my views with that in mind...

Originally Posted by barims
It is Germany; I realise this is partly a World Cup of upsets, but I'd be surprised if that was the case

On the other hand, we only need to hold them to a draw, and I could certainly anticipate that

Excellent ensemble today; you have a real facility for summer where others (myself included) would struggle

I'm hoping that Germany give Ghana a penalty or two - you've got one of the finest penalty takers in the tournament. Anyway Ghana doesn't lack spirit which is great.

Oh, and thanks. My summer looks are slowly improving - largely from stealing ideas from Neo, JPHardy and TC (where is he?), and trying to make them slightly more English...

Other than the obvious omission
fight[1].gif
I really like this.

Originally Posted by gregaz
MoK - terrific and fresh combination (as usual), but how about investing into a trouser press or something? Or is that "your thing"?
I could try a trouser press, but I'm not sure that's the key problem. They generally look okay when they're first put on straight off the hanger. It's wearing them that seems to be the problem. Today's shots were taken about an hour after I'd put them on - 40 minutes pottering around the house then 20 minutes walk, other shots are often taken after a further 20 minute walk and a train journey. It could be my ironing, but I suspect it's more to do with large thighs and backside wearing rtw cotton trousers, but I've tried different cuts and different fabric weights and always seem to have the same problem. I've even tried spray starch when ironing... It's worse with cotton but I can even make mohair blend trousers look rumpled. Any advice is welcome
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ld111134
I like the informal touch of the un-cuffed white trousers...and the chapeau rocks.
Thanks - the 'chapeau' was remarkably cheap but just had the right crown height and brim width.

Looking good yourself - Nice PS - Drakes? Great choice of soundtrack too
smile.gif

Good.

Feeling slouchy & crumpled...
I like the top half, but I'd prefer it paired with less formal trousers.
Originally Posted by IST66
Unlike some members I'm not heavily into watches but that one looks great,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads