• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for everybody's input
smile.gif
Really do appreciate it. I'm currently looking around the OTRs as well.

Been to Ron Bennett near Pitt St. mall just to check em out earlier today, but by gosh those dudes were pushy... Kinda drove me away with the pushiness and all...Big selection of suits though...

I'll try herringbone at cicular quay or surry hills next. perhaps I could find something decent or even david jones since they have sales on now...

Have also considered the a "Baroni/ Daniele" suit from the Wizard of Ahhs..... though once again I'm questioning the wisdom of getting a seemingly decent suit for roughly AUD$350 excl alterations sight unseen online.... The slimmer Marco Valenti range is probably going to be too tight. I'm a Drop 4 on a 38S, formerly a "drop 2" but cut off all the fast food junk and soft drinks due to a health scare....

Any other places which anyone might recommend suit hunting?? Brands to avoid? thanks...

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
If you go to Herringbone, I'd go to the Circular Quay store. Ethan their head tailor works there and is very good. I've bought two suits from him and he's always a pleasure to deal with. He has a good eye and will get the necessary alterations done. I believe they have a sale on for the next 5 days so you may be able to pick up a suit at a discount (don't quote me on this).

Originally Posted by 3ff3z8e
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for everybody's input
smile.gif
Really do appreciate it. I'm currently looking around the OTRs as well.

Been to Ron Bennett near Pitt St. mall just to check em out earlier today, but by gosh those dudes were pushy... Kinda drove me away with the pushiness and all...Big selection of suits though...

I'll try herringbone at cicular quay or surry hills next. perhaps I could find something decent or even david jones since they have sales on now...

Have also considered the a "Baroni/ Daniele" suit from the Wizard of Ahhs..... though once again I'm questioning the wisdom of getting a seemingly decent suit for roughly AUD$350 excl alterations. The slimmer Marco Valenti range is probably going to be too tight. I'm a Drop 4 on a 38S, formerly a "drop 2" but cut off all the fast food junk and soft drinks due to a health scare....

Any other places which anyone might recommend suit hunting?? Brands to avoid? thanks...

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been to Ron Bennett near Pitt St. mall just to check em out earlier today, but by gosh those dudes were pushy... Kinda drove me away with the pushiness and all...Big selection of suits though... I'll try herringbone at cicular quay or surry hills next. perhaps I could find something decent or even david jones since they have sales on now... Have also considered the a "Baroni/ Daniele" suit from the Wizard of Ahhs..... though once again I'm questioning the wisdom of getting a seemingly decent suit for roughly AUD$350 excl alterations sight unseen online... thanks...
Don't go online - you must try shitloads of suits on in real life. Try jackets on until you are dizzy. Mainly jackets - don't worry about the pants until you are ready to settle on a suit. DJs should be ok to help you get fitted honestly. Some Sydney people here might even be able to recommend a sales person there by name you can trust. Stay away from any that feel pushy. Depending on your body shape Herringbone might not suit you.

__PG__

Reaction score
Do what fxh said.

I had big trouble finding a nice fitted jacket with pants that would fit. Thanks to lots of skiing, bike riding and martial arts I have a big arse and thighs.

With higher-end suits there will be enough in the waist and inside leg of the pants so that you will have enough to alter once you find a nice jacket.

What sort of budget are you on? I don't know much about Sydney but I know in Melbourne you can get great Italian suits for $800.

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Do what fxh said.

I had big trouble finding a nice fitted jacket with pants that would fit. Thanks to lots of skiing, bike riding and martial arts I have a big arse and thighs.

With higher-end suits there will be enough in the waist and inside leg of the pants so that you will have enough to alter once you find a nice jacket.

What sort of budget are you on? I don't know much about Sydney but I know in Melbourne you can get great Italian suits for $800.

Thanks everyone,

My budget's about the $500 - $1k mark for a suit. Will be trying the suits out tomorrow, I also spotted this store near Bridge Street called Leone which a collegue of mine recommended. Will be checking them out tommorow as well...

PG, I tend to fly down to melb once in a while... would be great if you don't mind sharing the place.

Once again, thank you all for your gracious input.

__PG__

Reaction score
I've bought my suits (so far) from Azzaro in south Melbourne. They stock a wide range of Italian suits from low-end fused (Enrico Coveri) to high-end fused (Versace Collection) to mass-produced cavassed (Cantarelli, Canali, Sarti d'Italia) to hand-made (Antichi Telai).

They only stock standard sizes though.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those guys, along with Tony Barlow, are supremely pushy. It's like walking into a Parramatta Road car lot - they don't understand "just looking".

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
anyone checked this out? if so, what suit sizes are available in their sub 1k range ?

Not sure. I know they were all out of Cantarelli in a Euro 52, however there were some Cantarelli sports jackets available in that size a few weeks ago.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
anyone checked this out? if so, what suit sizes are available in their sub 1k range ?

I went at lunch time today to check out their soes, was the only person there so the sales woman was quite helpful. No shoes in my size, so I looked around at the suits. Prices started from $250. She showed me a couple of fully canvased suits priced at 30% off (rrp about $2,200 or something like that), but I was just browsing really. Was a little sad to hear that she just recently sold her last three piece suit, but thems the breaks.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I've bought my suits (so far) from Azzaro in south Melbourne. They stock a wide range of Italian suits from low-end fused (Enrico Coveri) to high-end fused (Versace Collection) to mass-produced cavassed (Cantarelli, Canali, Sarti d'Italia) to hand-made (Antichi Telai).

They only stock standard sizes though.

Been meaning to check them out. Any love for euro 48 / 50Cs there usually? And what are the Antichi Telai suits like? Started a thread to see if anyone had experience or opinions on them but got nothing.

Cheers

__PG__

Reaction score
They should have good range Euro 48 there, ring them and ask. I only look at Euro 52/54. I bought an Antichi Telai Linen navy suit from them last year. It was my first suit purchase (along with a Canali) ...so I didn't really know that much about it, except that a) It was full floating canvas b) It had basted sleeve for working button holes c) It fitted me like a glove. In the seven months I've had it, it is my favourite article in my wardrobe. The suit looks great in summer, and the jacket goes great with jeans** It's now sitting out the winter months on instructions from my wife
laugh.gif
Since then I've learnt a bit more about suits. I'd say the fault is that they have fairly low armholes and it isn't as comfortable as my Canali suits across the shoulders. However its a tighter fit and a more slender silhouette than the Canali. They are a traditional Roman company and presumably their cut is also traditionally Roman as well. I now think that I could have maybe gone up a size. I tried on the new line of wool suits (mainly super 130's, super 150's). They are quite stunning and the silhouette for the 52 was exceptionally slender and fitted..however it was probably too tight across the shoulders. I tried on the 54 and what I lost in a cutting-edge silhouette I regained in comfort and fit around the neck and shoulders. I'm not a suit expert, but IMO the feel of them is similar to D'Avenza and Isaia (which I have tried on a few times but never worn for long periods of time). Here is another link about the company: Italtrade.com - link They are now merged withthe Tuscany based Mabro group (I can't tell who bought out who) which has started the Sarti D'Italia brand which is basically the same suit but with more machine work and mass production. In conclusion, they are definitely worth a visit. Try them on, its up to you if you pull the trigger. The range that Azzaro has brought out at the moment is very conservative in terms of fabric colours (i.e. navy, navy pinstripe, charcoal, black etc.) so it wasn't what I was after but it could be right up your alley. They are on Facebook link **I know you shouldn't wear 'orphaned' jackets but quite frankly I couldn't give a stuff. As a dark linen jacket, it looks like a casual sports jacket anyway.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Those guys, along with Tony Barlow, are supremely pushy. It's like walking into a Parramatta Road car lot - they don't understand "just looking".

+1.

Also, the shop assistants typically have no idea as to how a suit should actually fit. They recommend that you get at least one size too large, and then when you insist on actually trying on something in your size, they'll tell you that it is too tight, and that it will restrict your range of movement.

What do they actually think I'll be doing in the suit? Digging ditches? Cutting down trees?
No, I'll be sitting at a desk or going for a walk to have coffee or get lunch. I don't need to be able to wield an axe whilst wearing my jacket. Besides, women's jackets are tightly fitting, with high armholes and narrow shoulders, and I've never heard a shop assistant in a womenswear store telling a customer not to buy a jacket because it will restrict their movement.
ffffuuuu.gif

Anyway, as one of the posters above suggested, it would be well worth your while to head along to Herringbone to talk with Ethan, their head tailor. It may be that, depending on your build, Herringbone's suits will not fit you well. However, it is certainly worth trying and Ethan should be able to give you some excellent advice on fit, and on what to look out for in a good, well-fitted suit.

Sydguy

Reaction score
Steer very clear of Ron Bennet stores and the like. Decent suits sell themselves, and do not need a hard sell. Those places make me thorw up a little in my mouth a little every time I pass.

In your price range make sure you check out the Herringbone Clearance Store at $500 for a suit and factoring in $150 for alterations that sounds like it fits your budget. Also check out their 'legit' stores too, it is a good comparison for shopping around. As suggested thorw on jackets, and don't be shy. The sale does indeed end sunday as per the last email I got anyway.

The ebay suits you mentioned are cheap and appear to be fantastic value for money, however fit is the problem. The jacket was perfect on me but the pants were freaking tight. If you go ahead with one, email Jeff and get the 10% Styleforum discount, also if you buy it privately, not ebay, it is cheaper still. I paid $250 for the suit or there abouts, it was a real shame to return it!

I am still looking for some desert boots - the Hush Puppies John mentioned fit the bill, just can't find my size left anywhere! If anyone sees UK10.5 or US 11 desert boots around in Sydney let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads