• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people pay this much for knock offs?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
can we just stop using the word hipster? it's a really stupid pejorative term with no real meaning and applied to anything having to do with some sort of under-the-radar subculture.
You don't know what hipsters are, do you?
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
2) Yeah, but why camo? It doesn't blend in when you're on a ******* boat, there's no reason for it not to just be some solid color. It makes no sense.
It's so that enemy jets passing overhead don't see them and think the ships are abandoned, of course As well ask why they need their decks to be so clean or how anyone over 5'7 can live with ducking under every bulkhead

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Electricity
ergo the U.S. Navy makes no sense. The competency levels in the military are astounding. My friend was in the infantry in Afghanistan and they had jungle instead dessert camo... wtf!

This reminds me of the recon marines in Iraq with woodland camo. It's all psy-ops.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
You don't know what hipsters are, do you?
at its core, hipsters are jazz aficionados. you want a true hipster? tom waits. it wasn't until the late 90's when tobacco companies began to take notice of a burgeoning subculture among the sought-after 18-25 demographic that increasingly involved around watching non-mainstream bands and fetishizing thrift stores, irony, nostalgia, and gentrification. the adoption of a hodgepodge of subcultures, self-hate, and marketing asshats/white people's overarching need to "label" things they don't fully understand eventually led to the modern usage of this stupid blanket term. the 70's/80's had "punks" the 90's had "indie kids" who begat "emo kids" then "scenesters" and now "hipster" is the jargon of choice for old people who don't get it and ignorant people who don't know any better.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
This reminds me of the recon marines in Iraq with woodland camo. It's all psy-ops.

My dad was in GW-I. They were in forest camo until the day before they came home. The base commander was hording all the desert camo uniforms so he could dump them on the surplus market and pocket the cash. A few guys "broke into the tent" (okay, security was lax and they wanted their desert camo, as well) and distributed the uniforms the day before they came home. The base commander couldn't do anything about it because if he did, it'd raise a lot of questions that would be awkward to answer.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
at its core, hipsters are jazz aficionados. you want a true hipster? tom waits.

it wasn't until the late 90's when tobacco companies began to take notice of a burgeoning subculture
among the sought-after 18-25 demographic that increasingly involved around watching non-mainstream bands and fetishizing thrift stores, irony, nostalgia, and gentrification. the adoption of a hodgepodge of subcultures, self-hate, and marketing asshats/white people's overarching need to "label" things they don't fully understand eventually led to the modern usage of this stupid blanket term.

the 70's/80's had "punks" the 90's had "indie kids" who begat "emo kids" then "scenesters" and now "hipster" is the jargon of choice for old people who don't get it and ignorant people who don't know any better.

B-, cite your sources next time.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/19/3/213.abstract
2. http://tobaccofreedom.org/issues/doc...end/index.html

Originally Posted by Camel
Where are some of the most important trends started and who are the people that launch them? The answer is simple: trendy nightclubs and restaurants, hip retail stores, coffee houses and cafe's and the hip patrons that frequent them.

These "hipsters" entire social lives revolve around nightclubs, cafes, fashion and music. Every day these trendsetters ride the wave on the crest of cool. These are the people who start the trends. Music and fashion, amongst other trends, are made or broken by these few select people. Camel's goal of Trend Influence Marketing is to attract and convert smokers in the trend-setting urban sceene.

this is why i smoke marlboros.

Dai19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

3453895853_29a1cf9f0d.jpg

?

bma

Reaction score
the only thing worse than hipsters is analyzing hipsters.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads