• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Patching shoes maybe makes sense if they're your own bespoke shoes. If they were made for someone else's feet, not so much.

+1

Interesting story about Prince Charles' shoes, though.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
You can't recraft split or damaged leather, unfortunately. This pair has had their day.
I'd wager good sum that eBay would disagree
smile.gif
I'd imagine those would fetch probably around £100 - £175 and will probably go to Japan!

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
...And 1 question: there is an old Zegna 100% silk herringbone blazer at a thrift store, been there for like 3 months. Is it worth getting to flip? I think it is sz 46. Some of the "bones" are a little knotty or fuzzy. No stains. The bones are offwhite/yellow and black/brown.

If they're ventless you might be able to flip it on eBay but probably not the B&S forum. I have 2 Zegnas in 44L that are in excellent condition and I'm just trying to sell them for what I paid + shipping and they've been gathering dust on the forum for weeks now.

Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
A couple weeks ago someone mentioned liking Kuhlman shirts and is a
size 46. If you read this and are interested, I have a really nice one (46)

email me at [email protected]

I'm looking for suits/sportcoats/slacks, not shirts so I'm about to go check out the stuff you just put on eBay. Thanks!

Temujin

Reaction score
A quick questions: Does anyone know anything about Issimo made in Italy suits. I found one in my size and bought it, but can't find anything about it.

I finally found some info. It's cheap stuff. Although it is made of super 130's wool.

Temujin

Reaction score
One last question: I found 2 Sir Master Tailor/ Singapore suits, with Gianni Versace label inside. Assuming that is for the fabric. Would they be worth getting for flipping? I passed as they were too small for me, although I liked the fabric. I actually got into one, but had to thrash around in a circle on the floor to get back out of it. If only I could dislocate my shoulder like Mel....

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
One last question: I found 2 Sir Master Tailor/ Singapore suits, with Gianni Versace label inside. Assuming that is for the fabric. Would they be worth getting for flipping? I passed as they were too small for me, although I liked the fabric. I actually got into one, but had to thrash around in a circle on the floor to get back out of it. If only I could dislocate my shoulder like Mel....

Diffusion line, i'd pass on it, Gianni versace ties are built okay though, hand made in italy ones

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found some ties(Polo, Dior, Mulberry...) and tie clips today. They are for sale or trade.(Link in sig.)

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
I got all excited yesterday looking in a pair of shoes and seeing "Church's Custom Grade" for the first time, then I look closer at the outside, and it is corrected grain leather. I've just been reading about how, apparently, Church's corrected grain is called "polished binders," and isn't actually awful. But these shoes have obviously been used too much then, because the creases look a million times worse than normal calf creases.

EBTX66

Reaction score
I'm not normally one who complains about the content of the thread - hell, I've been guilty of derailing it occasionally myself. However, am I the only "old-timer" disturbed by the thread's apparent transistion to the Flipper's Bragging Thread? I'm all for newbies joining and learning what are great brands to buy but I like when you're learning to buy for YOURSELF. Sure, we all might find the occasional outstanding piece that we buy to sell but the guys I know who do that (self included) tend to turn right around and invest it in another thrifting trip or splurge on the B&S forum. I'm watching post after post from guys who brag simply about all of the things they've found to sell. You guys that are hitting departments and cleaning them out of anything even remotely mentioned on this thread are the reason the senior members don't answer questions about "where's a good place", etc. Guys, you're basically going to a used car lot and asking the guy, "where do you buy your cars? I want to get there first, buy them all up, and run you out of business. Thanks for all of your help".

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
I'm not normally one who complains about the content of the thread - hell, I've been guilty of derailing it occasionally myself. However, am I the only "old-timer" disturbed by the thread's apparent transistion to the Flipper's Bragging Thread? I'm all for newbies joining and learning what are great brands to buy but I like when you're learning to buy for YOURSELF. Sure, we all might find the occasional outstanding piece that we buy to sell but the guys I know who do that (self included) tend to turn right around and invest it in another thrifting trip or splurge on the B&S forum. I'm watching post after post from guys who brag simply about all of the things they've found to sell. You guys that are hitting departments and cleaning them out of anything even remotely mentioned on this thread are the reason the senior members don't answer questions about "where's a good place", etc. Guys, you're basically going to a used car lot and asking the guy, "where do you buy your cars? I want to get there first, buy them all up, and run you out of business. Thanks for all of your help".

Completely agree. Back when I first saw this thread it was about buying for the individual, now its about buying for the eBay and B&S market.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66

I have not had problems with any of the new members.
I have done half a dozen problem free trades in the last 2 weeks. Many with newer members.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Completely agree. Back when I first saw this thread it was about buying for the individual, now its about buying for the eBay and B&S market.

Not that the bragging bothers me, but I wonder how effective you must be selling when you basically announce you are 21x the price you paid on this thread. There is nothing wrong with flipping, nothing at all, but you are shooting yourself in the foot.

On the other hand, I often jump on something that bought that is not their size, for example I swooped on those 5 custom Astor shirts posted recently (great seller btw) so its not all bad.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love when you see a post here about a item and then see it in the B&S listed NWOT for 100%+ of what you know the seller bought it for. I'm all up for passing on the deal to other forum members but there is at least on fairly new member I see doing this all the time whom I'll never buy from. I think it is a much better pratice to not post here and just post in the B&S area instead.

mystillwater

Reaction score
i'd be glad to see ads banned from this thread... i'm tired of the "i just found _______..... it's on ebay/b&s."

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Not that the bragging bothers me, but I wonder how effective you must be selling when you basically announce you are 21x the price you paid on this thread. There is nothing wrong with flipping, nothing at all, but you are shooting yourself in the foot.

On the other hand, I often jump on something that bought that is not their size, for example I swooped on those 5 custom Astor shirts posted recently (great seller btw) so its not all bad.

I agree. That was the hardest thing to verbalize: we all buy stuff occasionally to flip, it's just that this thread is meant for guys who'd prefer to find that killer item in there size. For you guys on here that are primarily in this for selling: I'm not trying to make some personal attack or tell you you're wrong for trying to make some money. I'm just saying that I personally love it when somebody scores a nearly new Brioni/Kiton/Belvest in their size for $5 - or a giant gold pig for that matter.

My strong feelings come from the fact that I've personally had flippers steal things out of my cart in the store
angry.gif
, one has an employee (!) who visits what used to be my favorite little church thrift every morning and cleans it out
censored.gif
, and one guy who emailed me with a sob story and ended up conning me into giving him the names/locations of a couple of my favorite spots - and wouldn't you know it: they've completely dried up
baldy[1].gif
. I'm not saying you guys are doing any of that, but hopefully you can see how that makes me entirely uninterested in all of the stuff you've found to flip.

I was being sarcastic in my previous email but maybe it really would be a good idea to start a new thread for flipper finds. I can imagine you're justifiable proud and you guys would probably enjoy sharing our conquests with each other. Personally, I'll just hit my favorite spots and hope I catch them rolling a rack out of the back that you haven't spotted yet - if you haven't already made friends with the people in the back and they're putting the good stuff aside for you.
patch[1].gif
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads