• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Linen Pants: Slim fit or "modern fit" ??

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to buy a pair of Banana Republic white linen/cotton pants.
I can't decide b/w slim fit linen pants, or the billowing/bellbottomy effect of normal fit pants?

Summer has a breezy, relaxed vibe.
I am not sure "slim fit" is the same vibe. It might even look weird?
eg: slim fat pants can be a bit tight when sitting.
I associate summer linen pants with a lot more sitting (BBQ, etc)

mjc

Reaction score
It seems silly to get slim-fit linen pants. You want a bit of roominess to take advantage of the linen's natural draftiness and coolness.

However, it is possible to make summer pants too baggy. I find Bill's Khakis way too roomy for my taste, even though others rated them highly.

- Mike

awxg

Reaction score
BR slim fit aren't that slim. The regular cut of BR are for people with sausage legs.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the tailored fit. I was in yesterday and I felt like they were slim but still a good cut for linen. My only problem was that the white linen tailored fit is extremely see through, and you would need skin colored underwear to pull them off without looking like an ass.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer a regular fit for linen pants rather than slim because of the way linen can sort of cling by the end of the day. I wear the J.Crew linen/cotton in regular fit.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pair I bought today would have made MC hammer happy. I said fix please.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have H&M white linen/cotton blend pants that are very slim. I find that paired with a pink shirt it's quite the summery look.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's all a matter of preference, if you are more slender then you might want the slim fit if not then I woluld go with a modern fit.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
BR slim fit aren't that slim. The regular cut of BR are for people with sausage legs.
Haha...+1. I have a couple of their slimfit shirts and I am by no means a slim fit man.

lastlight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Haha...+1. I have a couple of their slimfit shirts and I am by no means a slim fit man.

Ditto, sure makes you feel better though :p

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster

I have a couple of their size small (14-14.5" tagged) and I measured the collar to be 15.25. All of their shirts are a size too big. Going down a size is usually perfect for most men.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insensitive
Just go try them on in front of a mirror and decide.

This

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc
It seems silly to get slim-fit linen pants. You want a bit of roominess to take advantage of the linen's natural draftiness and coolness.

+1

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc

However, it is possible to make summer pants too baggy. I find Bill's Khakis way too roomy for my taste, even though others rated them highly.

- Mike

See I'd say the opposite, even standard fitting linen pants can look diaper-y, think Alec Guiness in a handfull of dust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads