• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
After some education, she is becoming increasingly angry at the way women's shoes are made mostly for fashion rather than function. There are so many crazy details about these that make me smile.

I was crushed to see them in the store, because I new I would have to buy them if they had my size. I have cancelled my order for my 403s because of these; not really a big loss, though, as the Cigars can act as a dress boot, whereas the 403s are a dressy casual boot.

Originally Posted by zippyh
My wife can appreciate my Aldens, C&J, etc but would never in a million years wear a women's shoe with similar construction.
Thanks guys. I can see both sides of this. Girls tend to think Alden's are very heavy.

Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Another vote for no. Something like that would bother me every time I wore the shoes.
Not only that you will be reminded every time someone tells you that you have something on your shoe. I am getting to the point where I would just rather shell out the money for first and get exactly what I want. If the Shoe Mart does not have that very shoe in firsts then wait a while and get exactly what you want.
smile.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Late birthday present from my wife.
Ravello chukkas from shoe mart.
Funny that the ipad I got for her birthday just showed up today too.

chukkaravello.jpg

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Late birthday present from my wife.
Ravello chukkas from shoe mart.
Funny that the ipad I got for her birthday just showed up today too.

NICE! I love that color. LOL@The exchange rate of shell for iPad's.
tongue.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Need advice from you...
Those are whiskey irregulars offered by the shoemart. There is a mark on the right shoe, which can not be fixed.
Should I still buy it or no?
Thanks!

Another vote no. The damage is bad & obvious and I'd want more like 90% off to even think about it. Acquiring that would be like trading for a baseball pitcher who has had career-ending shoulder surgery. What is it going to do, sit in your closet and give pep talks to the other shoes?

If you had done the damage yourself, maybe you could come to live with it. Buying it that way, I vote no.

I am surprised there's has been no conversation about the 25% off Aldens (including shell) running right now at Brooks Brothers. Calf and suede ~$300, shell ~$450. BUT they appear to be taking orders for a lot of shoes with delivery dates near Halloween. And the selection is tame compared to what we have been seeing from Tom and in this thread.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
NICE! I love that color. LOL@The exchange rate of shell for iPad's.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by srivats
Those look great, zippy!

Originally Posted by interlockingny
+1! Quite the day for you.

Thanks guys.

My wife was examining them and said how much she liked the color. Then she looked at them closer and said "don't you already have something like these?" Normally there's some truth to that question regarding shoes but in this case not really.
She shrugged and went back to playing with her ipad.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
No. That's very noticeable.
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I vote no. I've had nothing but problems with Alden seconds, and my opinion of Alden seconds via the shoe mart is far less positive than many posters here.

Also, was this shoe described as "totally great, amazing savings, nothing wrong"? Because that's what I've heard from shoe mart regarding every Alden second

Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Another vote for no. Something like that would bother me every time I wore the shoes.
Originally Posted by Ahab
Not only that you will be reminded every time someone tells you that you have something on your shoe. I am getting to the point where I would just rather shell out the money for first and get exactly what I want. If the Shoe Mart does not have that very shoe in firsts then wait a while and get exactly what you want.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Dewey
Another vote no. The damage is bad & obvious and I'd want more like 90% off to even think about it. Acquiring that would be like trading for a baseball pitcher who has had career-ending shoulder surgery. What is it going to do, sit in your closet and give pep talks to the other shoes?

If you had done the damage yourself, maybe you could come to live with it. Buying it that way, I vote no.

I am surprised there's has been no conversation about the 25% off Aldens (including shell) running right now at Brooks Brothers. Calf and suede ~$300, shell ~$450. BUT they appear to be taking orders for a lot of shoes with delivery dates near Halloween. And the selection is tame compared to what we have been seeing from Tom and in this thread.

Thanks for the advice. Will not take them.
Price was 389$, down from 650$.

On what last are those offered by BB cordos?
Are the sales online only?

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some Indys last week and am experimenting with replacement laces for the inevitable wearing out of the ones they came with. I think I like the squared ones better - they are easier to knot, and seem like they are a little thicker overall. The only thing I don't like is the length which is like 72" or something. I think I might crimp them down to the regular 52" length or whatever the standard is to avoid the behind the ankle loop. Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
what do people think of these?

Good color for a loafer. Narrow toe box looks painful.

Tassels can be very good to very bad. Depends on the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads