• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
To be perfectly frank, the broadness of your question suggests that you know little about the characteristics of tailored suits. Of course, we all have to start somewhere, but you might be expecting too much if you think you can learn enough between now and your fitting on Friday to dictate a bunch of details on the suit. In fact, that is almost surely the way to get it wrong. If I were you, I would stick to as plain vanilla a suit as possible. What you have suggested (two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, no cuffs) is pretty safe. A mistake many guys make is trying to fit a bunch of distinctive or unusual details into their first suit and they end up with some kind of Frankenstein monstrosity. If you really want to develop an understanding of the whole process, I would suggest reading up on it here and in a couple books and then for your second suit, suggest a few refining details that might improve on your first suit.

As straightforward as it is, that is great advice. Plain vanilla it is. I guess I just didn't know if the tailor was going to pop any questions about which I would have no idea. Thanks very much.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
As straightforward as it is, that is great advice. Plain vanilla it is. I guess I just didn't know if the tailor was going to pop any questions about which I would have no idea. Thanks very much.
Glad to help. I learned all that the hard way and have the unworn clothes in my closet to prove it.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
Are DB blazers with two rows of functional buttons, as opposed to one row of functional and one row of decorative, made?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
But this is exactly what I mean. I want to know exactly what I should be looking out for before hand.

Go to various shops and try on things. Try different brands. Different cuts within the brands.

Then see what you like. The shops are full of things. Best thing is to look around first.

GiorgioHilfiger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZhiMingBuFanDe
Are DB blazers with two rows of functional buttons, as opposed to one row of functional and one row of decorative, made?

If I have understood correctly, the two rows of buttons for jackets are originally invented to be able to button the jacket other way around, with the piece normally "under" on "top", when the top piece gets dirty. As with a chef's coat. Therefore the other row needs to be on top of the garment, being not decorative but very functional while on there?

violetti9

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought Ralph Lauren CHAPS suit on ebay, and I think it's fake. you can see the stitchings from the label inside the pocket . I think The stitchings should never be visible there and the label should be only attached to suit lining, and not be sewn thru both the lining and the inside pocket. I attached 2 pictures, can you guys help me out here and tell me if this suit is fake? thanks so much.

JacobJacob

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of trousers. They fit excellent. However, after a couple of wears the pockets have begun to flare out. Can this problem be fixed (by tailor) without the chance of getting the fit ruined?

cardguy

Reaction score
%21BrN+yM%21BWk%7E$%28KGrHqEH-DUEvErMGq1nBLyzPo,uEw%7E%7E_12.JPG

%21BrN+,-w%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqIH-EQEvDFiPepWBLyzO0ZOfw%7E%7E_12.JPG

Wear mostly blue and green shirts, buying these to go with khakis. Go with the dual color navy/green boats, or keep it to one color in the solid navy?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dig this shirt Phillip Seymour Hoffman is wearing in the movie Capote:
capote.jpg
It takes place around 1960, so I'm assuming this type of shirt was in style then. Any details? (As a side note, the sunglasses are nice as well. Persols?) - Keith

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by violetti9
Hello,
I bought Ralph Lauren CHAPS suit on ebay, and I think it's fake. you can see the stitchings from the label inside the pocket . I think The stitchings should never be visible there and the label should be only attached to suit lining, and not be sewn thru both the lining and the inside pocket. I attached 2 pictures, can you guys help me out here and tell me if this suit is fake? thanks so much.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I am not inclined to think that anyone would bother to fake a RL Chaps suit because they are neither very inexpensive nor especially sought after.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by violetti9
Hello,

I highly doubt that it's fake. Simply because Chaps is NOT Ralph Lauren, so their items are cheaply made in the first place. Nobody would make counterfeit for less desirable stuff.

violetti9

Reaction score
Thank you for both opinions. I gotta disagree though. Some of Chaps Ralph Lauren suits sell for over $ 200, so while it's not expensive, I don't think it's cheap either. They sell on overstock.com for $150 (discount). And even cheap no brand name suits are done the right way, meaning the label is sewn on the lining first , and not through the pocket. Anyway, I already found out this is not RL Chaps suit, someone just attached the label to this suit, which is ridiculous, so I'm returning it.
Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
How can you tell which Zegna pants are actually made by Incotex other than price point? Should this be explicitly stated on one of the tags?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
I dig this shirt Phillip Seymour Hoffman is wearing in the movie Capote:
capote.jpg
- Keith

That's not a shirt, more like a mock neck sweater. Do you see the trim on the diagonal raglan sleeves - typical of a sweater.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cardguy
%21BrN+yM%21BWk%7E$%28KGrHqEH-DUEvErMGq1nBLyzPo,uEw%7E%7E_12.JPG

%21BrN+,-w%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqIH-EQEvDFiPepWBLyzO0ZOfw%7E%7E_12.JPG

Wear mostly blue and green shirts, buying these to go with khakis. Go with the dual color navy/green boats, or keep it to one color in the solid navy?

For visual interest, I'd go with the green - but really they're equally as good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads