• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Tie Collection!

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Just curious about everyone's tie collection or rotation.I'm one that loves to purchase ties and treat them as a collection and hobby. I love to find all different colors and a "tie for every occasion." Basically, I have three questions:

How many do you own?

How many are in your "normal" rotation?

Do you buy ties to cover all colors, shades, patterns?

Love to hear some responses and/or pictures!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Im at about 165. Only 75 or so are considered for the real day to day selections, the others "will come in handy" one day, or have sentimental value, if that makes any sense to you. (It does not to my wife).

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
^^ Makes total sense to me. It doesn't make sense to my fiance, either.^^

How do you choose to keep or display them?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not as Id like. I have 2 rotating "dry cleaner" style spinner racks that hold 50 each. I thought I would cap myself at 100 and cull the old when I got the new.. but that didnt work. I had them organized in perfect color order, now I had to just buy another spinner, and they have no rhyme or reason. Sad really. I wish I had more room to organize/display them better. How about you?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have mine in drawers.

Ordered by pattern than color.

I keep a minimal tie wardrobe, I dont think having more choices improves anything past say 50ish.

As my suit wardrobe expands I see my tie wardrobe expanding slightly, but I keep it simple by simplifying my shirt wardrobe. When I decided I would mostly like to wear white shirts it made things easier all over.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got 53. I divide them into A, B, and C tiers (best to worst). A tier ties are for days that I teach. (I'm a university professor.) B tier ties are for days when I have office hours, but don't teach. C tier ties are the ones I hardly ever wear and should probably get rid of.

I do not buy ties to cover all the shades. I buy the colors I like and the ones I look best in. That causes some problems, though, because I end up with too many ties in the same color. I've got 8 pink ties, for example, 6 of which are in the A tier.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Ordered by pattern than color.

You find that easier than sorting by color when making your selections in the morning? I tend to go for color first, then pattern.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have about 75 but only about 20 are in rotation. I just can't bear tot hrow them away but the gf wants me to. Got about 20 old Versace ones.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Not as Id like. I have 2 rotating "dry cleaner" style spinner racks that hold 50 each. I thought I would cap myself at 100 and cull the old when I got the new.. but that didnt work. I had them organized in perfect color order, now I had to just buy another spinner, and they have no rhyme or reason. Sad really. I wish I had more room to organize/display them better. How about you?

I use to hang them, then I went to loosely rolling, but I'm making a final decision and finding proper hanging storage for them. Since I consider it a collection and more than a wardrobe, I'd really like to display them outside of the closest (not in the living room, of course). As far as ties have come in construction and material, they lack in storage methods. Frankly, it fascinates me.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I do my custom closets, Im doing this (not the top, just the tie drawers)
stock-photo-display-of-shoes-and-neckties-in-modern-upscale-men-s-clothing-store-12054646.jpg

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Yes, I love that idea. Maybe I should just invest in some custom closets haha

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You find that easier than sorting by color when making your selections in the morning? I tend to go for color first, then pattern.

Yes, because I usually have my suit and shirt picked out already. The pattern is more important for me because I like to avoid doing similar patterns in the same combination, in fact I try to keep the patterns to a minimum.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Very interesting numbers so far. Votes are all over the board.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only included the amount that actually wear on a regular basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads