• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique my WW Chan and Geneva

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
it's a "joke", at least for a first attempt.

Its Geneva bespoke, hence better fitting than anything that is RTW/MTM
rolleyes.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Its Geneva bespoke, hence better fitting than anything that is RTW/MTM
rolleyes.gif

interesting that you fight for them.

it's a mess, period.

i don't care that manton and the foo are clients there, period.

on the other hand, i'm sure that these guys can fix it. that's the only thing that counts.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I'm not a Geneva client. I was just visiting with Manton. That said, I don't think this shirt is the disaster you guys are making it out to be. The sleeves are too long, yes. But what else is wrong? There is some rippling above the chest, but the whole shirt looks like it needs an ironing, so it's hard to say if there's a problem with the fit. Also, don't underestimate the importance of how a shirt's tucked in. Irregular bunching and pulling are often the result of haphazardly distributing a shirt under your waistband. A lot of people assume the answer to this problem is a tighter shirt, but a tighter shirt will have a different look to it than a less-tight shirt tucked in carefully.

Anyway, it will take a wash cycle or two and a good ironing to tell whether a shirt fits. So, I think any heavy criticism is premature.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ I'm not a Geneva client. I was just visiting with Manton. That said, I don't think this shirt is the disaster you guys are making it out to be. The sleeves are too long, yes. But what else is wrong? There is some rippling above the chest, but the whole shirt looks like it needs an ironing, so it's hard to say if there's a problem with the fit. Also, don't underestimate the importance of how a shirt's tucked in. Irregular bunching and pulling are often the result of haphazardly distributing a shirt under your waistband. A lot of people assume the answer to this problem is a tighter shirt, but a tighter shirt will have a different look to it than a less-tight shirt tucked in carefully.

Anyway, it will take a wash cycle or two and a good ironing to tell whether a shirt fits. So, I think any heavy criticism is premature.

Would you be pleased with this bespoke result if you were the client?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69

+1

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69

I wouldn't render judgment one way or another until I'd washed and ironed the shirt. Like I said, it's too hard to tell if anything is really wrong at this point, except that the sleeves are almost definitely too long.

vincerich

Reaction score
The only real issue with the suit is the pant length. There's something strange going on with the back as well, but that's no big deal.

The shirt has too much fabric. It's too wide in the torso and a little long in the arms.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Isn't the shirt supposed to be a little big if not washed.

I wouldn't render judgment one way or another until I'd washed and ironed the shirt. Like I said, it's too hard to tell if anything is really wrong at this point, except that the sleeves are almost definitely too long.

It has been washed, TWICE.

Originally Posted by emc894
I
The Geneva shirt I got in New York....... . It has been washed twice. ]

The shirt is a very poor example of bespoke/custom. PERIOD. If it were by any of the travelling or overseas MTM shirt services the comments would have been merciless. Another example of SF group-think and overly generous forgiveness for the established "names". Especially ones that have been highly acclaimed by SF stalwarts.

vincerich

Reaction score
The only real issue with the suit is the pant length. There's something strange going on with the back as well, but that's no big deal. The pants could also stand to be slimmed.

The shirt has too much fabric. It's too wide in the torso and a little long in the arms.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
It has been washed, TWICE.

The shirt is a disaster. PERIOD. If it were by any of the travelling or overseas MTM shirt services the comments would have been merciless. Another example of SF group-think and overly generous forgiveness for the established "names". Especially ones that have been highly acclaimed by SF stalwarts.

If this is bespoke, then that means a pattern was drawn specifically for this client. WTF did the pattern look like? I could've done better by personally measuring the OP and submitting my numbers to Modern Tailor.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geneva only makes custom shirts, AFAIK.

I am not crapping on Geneva shirts at all. I am merely saying that this particular shirt by Geneva leaves much, much to be desired.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ I'm not a Geneva client.

sorry.

fwiw, you're not a master of good fit. your jackets are too small, funny to think of using the term small.

go ahead with your one shirt, shoe, jacket...

emc894

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. You should know that I wore that shirt to work all day so it is somewhat wrinkled from that. Thanks for the photoshop. That was very helpful.

The suit I like a lot and I think the alterations are pretty minor. The suits fits better than anything else I own, and my next one should be close to perfect.

I think the shirt is not very flattering but not a disaster. I would love a PS Foof'ed shirt if you want to do that. Otherwise, I will just tell the tailor, "taper the waist, take sleeves in and shorten sleeves slightly". In general though, I do not like my clothes tight, because I have a broad build.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think the suit fits ok, no major weirdness, just a little fuller than what people like around here.

It's interesting that both the shirt and suit fit similarly, did you ask for things to be a little more "relaxed fit"? Or did you lose a lot of weight since they were both commissioned?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shirt isn't just too full--it's messed up. Look at the pulling in the upper front. Was it like that before you had the back replaced? Honestly, they shouldn't have let you walk out with the shirt looking like that.

Oh, and you should have the back pleated. Did you insist on no pleats?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads