• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jos A Banks Platinum suit

fleurdema1

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Jos A Banks Platinum 2-Button Suits? Not a brand that I would usually buy and I was just wondering what they are like?

Thanks

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They use buttery fabrics layered with full canvassing and feature intricate pick-stitched details and handiwork throughout, plus the silhouette and shoulders contribute to drape that fits perfectly like it was bespoken for you. The construction and materials are second only to makers such as Kiton, Brioni, and perhaps Rubanacci.

If that were true, would that be enough to get you out of the forum groupthink?

fleurdema1

Reaction score
I have no issues with Jos A Banks. I am from Australia and they do not have any stores hear so it is not something I would usually go for (I can only find their regular line in some department stores). They have a sale at the moment 3 platinum suits for $1994 (or $664 per suit) which seems reasonable for a s150 full canvas suit with pick stitching and working buttonholes. I just can’t find any reviews about the suits so I am not sure how good they are.

If what you are saying is true then I would certainly consider trying them out. I just want to get some opinions from people who may have tried one

mr.rose

Reaction score
Really?

Where are they for sale if you don't mind? Myer?

gogators

Reaction score
I was under the impression (based upon prior threads on this) that they were only half-canvassed...

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
They use buttery fabrics layered with full canvassing and feature intricate pick-stitched details and handiwork throughout, plus the silhouette and shoulders contribute to drape that fits perfectly like it was bespoken for you. The construction and materials are second only to makers such as Kiton, Brioni, and perhaps Rubanacci.

Not true.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gogators
I was under the impression (based upon prior threads on this) that they were only half-canvassed...

Correct. Said differently, half of the suit is fully canvassed.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gogators

Originally Posted by taxgenius69

I present to you:

vincerich

Reaction score

lol. I almost completely tuned out after "buttery." I'm going to find something for breakfast.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fleurdema1
I have no issues with Jos A Banks. I am from Australia and they do not have any stores hear so it is not something I would usually go for (I can only find their regular line in some department stores). They have a sale at the moment 3 platinum suits for $1994 (or $664 per suit) which seems reasonable for a s150 full canvas suit with pick stitching and working buttonholes. I just can't find any reviews about the suits so I am not sure how good they are.

If what you are saying is true then I would certainly consider trying them out. I just want to get some opinions from people who may have tried one

Jos. A. Bank in Australia!?

The price that you listed does sound good. I haven't tried one on, but the description of the Platinum seems like a winner. For that price, it could be a worth-it endeavor to pick up a few and make sure that they fit correctly. I'd make sure that I inspected them thoroughly before having any alterations done so that I could return them if need be. Personally, I'm not in the market for $2,000 worth of suits right now, and I'm sure that the SF guys can name "better" suits, but overall, I like Jos. A. Bank.

vincerich

Reaction score

FWIW, the description says "fully-canvassed" in the catalogue. Either way, it doesn't hurt to find out for yourself rather than trusting forum myth and word-of-mouth.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only tell you it is a step up from the gold line, The stores near me do not carry them only online can you get them so I am not too familiar with the quality. I know there gold is a 120 and I think the platinum is 130-150 which is very good for wool.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I can only tell you it is a step up from the gold line, The stores near me do not carry them only online can you get them so I am not too familiar with the quality. I know there gold is a 120 and I think the platinum is 130-150 which is very good for wool.

you always make my fuckin head explode

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
FWIW, the description says "fully-canvassed" in the catalogue. Either way, it doesn't hurt to find out for yourself rather than trusting forum myth and word-of-mouth.

Read their description carefully. What are they describing as full canvassed? As I said many times, "100% * 50% = 50%."

arc

Reaction score
Read their description carefully. What are they describing as full canvassed? As I said many times, "100% * 50% = 50%."
"Made in Italy of super fine super 150's Italian fabric. Full canvas chest for added comfort, form and appearance." = they're half-canvased. taxgenius is right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads