• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading some of these comments, I can add one more reason as to why i'm immensely happy to live in NY

paulesquire1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
+99. I enjoy every time someone, on a style forum, says there are better things to spend money on than clothes and things having to do with style. Surely, you have to know when you post that, that everyone on SF disagrees with that almost by definition by being a member and reading posts on this site.
laugh.gif

And yeah, 18yr commitment or clothes... How can I possibly decide?!?
puzzled.gif

The funny thing is you can be an adult, have all those quoted responsibilities you think are a waste and still have more sense of style than the lil kids that still get allowances from mommy on this site.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If people are taking the piss out of your clothes, then your not dressing well even if your wearing red wing and APC. I've only been getting compliments over the last year or so, but I suppose skinny jeans are the norm where I live.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI
After reading some of these comments, I can add one more reason as to why i'm immensely happy to live in NY

I agree. Being in NYC gives you the chance to look like anything and no one will lift a brow.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI

oddly you can get away with just about anything in Seattle as well, particularly in some parts of town where you can dress like a transvestite matador, homeless Bruce Springsteen, sherpa with white guy dreadlocks, etc. I was at the ballet last night (yes the ballet) and saw all sorts of "creative" looks that you would not see at the same event in other cities. I kind of like it that way.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
I live in Brisbane, Australia, which is not known for its tolerance (especially as I spend a third of my time in its suburbs), and generally receive positive feedback and nice comments from people, including some who have stopped me to ask where I got certain items. Women seem to love pretty much every item and look that I rock, and wish that their men looked like me, or that I was their man.
That said, I've gotten the odd chuckle or stare, though that's usually whenever I'm in the working class suburbs. In fact, until this year I would be called a *** or something similar twice a week, more if I stayed in that suburb. It didn't matter what look I was rocking, if it wasn't the baggy board shorts and tee uniform it was probably gay and hate-worthy. Now it's just once a month.
All this said, it doesn't bother me. It used to when I was 18 and new to style and the adult world in general, but now if anything it makes me chuckle. A person who feels the need to shout "***" because he sees someone better dressed than him must be a pretty pathetic person, so it doesn't concern me.

rjones416

Reaction score
i've been getting nothing but compliments ever since dressing better. its best to keep it simple, if people are critical of your style you probably look like you're trying to hard.

Riio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjones416
i've been getting nothing but compliments ever since dressing better. its best to keep it simple, if people are critical of your style you probably look like you're trying to hard.

yeah only faggots try hard
facepalm.gif

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i get complimented by black youths on a regular basis. it makes me feel validated.

a-rock

Reaction score
The most fashionable and clothing anal of my guy friends happens to be a federal agent and Marine, as well as the most physically intimidating of us. So in our circle, the fellas quickly learned long ago to refrain from ***** comments. One time at a dinner my wife was making fun of how much I shine my shoes which caused some other guys to laugh. The Captain overheard and scolded everyone, "What, you guys don't shine your shoes?!" Everyone shut up after that.

It's the Mrs that gives me most flack about my clothes. Otherwise I get plenty of compliments from other women. Oddly enough, the only thing that bothers me is the gay friends that I do have are all of the Hollister flip flop crowd, and none of them ever compliment my clothes. It hurts just a little.

obesitykills

Reaction score
I am not saying its your fault or something you can change, but if your 6' 2'' and 135lbs it's probably not what your wearing but rather how you carry your self. I see it all the time human beings are breed from early on to **** on anyone or anything that is different.

twoism

Reaction score
Close friends and other guys make jokes about me dressing too metrosexual or borderline homosexual somewhat frequently. I understand it as a compliment, however. A way of saying I look good today. I get nothing but good words from strangers and people I don't know as well.

It's kinda funny, actually. A while ago a good female friend of mine was joking about my "raging homosexuality" when I was wearing some nice new clothes, and then a day later I overheard her complaining to her fiancÃ
00a9.png
e about how he needs to start dressing more like an adult and wear some "real" clothes. Hah. Her jokes seem a bit weaker now.

And I don't mind the guys saying things like "that's a gay jacket, dude", when strange women approach me on the street later that very day asking where I got it, so they can "purchase one for my man". Or a couple nights later at a barbecue, the cute little brunette girl starts a conversation with me by commenting "oooh, I like this" as she strokes my jacket arm. Gay indeed, friend in the tap out shirt! Gay indeed. Enjoy your beer pong while I leave the party with miss Emily here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads