• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Is there anything you're not good at? Of course, this means you must bring your clubs.
yes, I am not good at American football. Or wrestling. My clubs (Taylor Made LCG's) have cobwebs on them. I have not played in 4-5 years.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
yes, I am not good at American football. Or wrestling.

My clubs (Taylor Made LCG's) have cobwebs on them. I have not played in 4-5 years.

Okay, forget the clubs then. It shall be wrestling when you come. Either that or just street brawling.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Okay, forget the clubs then. It shall be wrestling when you come. Either that or just street brawling.

I shall borrow Matt's $100K gun.

Or, the money saved from clubs transportation and fees can go directly into Burgundy and Champagne acquisition.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I shall borrow Matt's $100K gun.

Or, the money saved from clubs transportation and fees can go directly into Burgundy and Champagne acquisition.

If it comes to a vote, I vote vino.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Louisiana and will be spending the next month in Northern California with my family. I drove out here solo, while the wife and kids flew in a week or so later. Along the way I stopped and played golf a few times. I knew I was going to play in the Carmel area at least once, and probably twice, so I used the Golf Magazine "Top 100 Courses You Can Play" as a resource to find one more course along the way. I started in Albuquerque at Paa Ko Ridge, just east of the city. Beautiful course, and I highly recommend it.
http://paakoridge.com/

I drove the ball well, but didn't score well that day (shot 90), and just never got it going. I eventually made my way to Carmel, where I spent two days. I'd played Pebble before, and will play it later this month when my father in law comes to town, so I wanted to play some of the other courses on the property. I was (fairly easily I might add) able to get tee times at Spanish Bay and Spyglass Hill. I really wanted to walk both, but rode at Spanish Bay, where I played with a charming Canadian couple, and walked Spyglass with a caddie, and was paired with two gentlemen from Japan. I shot 84 at Spanish Bay, and 85 at Spyglass. Spanish Bay is an odd course. Like Pebble, it's not really a links course. It's basically target golf on the ocean, which is weird. The wind wasn't blowing particularly hard the day I played, so it didn't play particularly tough. One thing I found notable is that the many of the greens have extreme undulations, and if you're not on the right level, you're basically screwed. Some of them are really ridiculous turtlebacks and I was lucky to be in the right place most of the time. The only true links course I've played is Chambers Bay, in Tacoma, and I take the word of the British teaching professional who played with me that day that it is a true links course. In the case of that course, you rarely hit approach shots at the flag. Anyway, it was a beautiful day, I played well, making some good shots, making some stupid mistakes one makes when one is unfamiliar with a particular track, but in the end, I played well enough to enjoy myself.

I played well at Spyglass and was again blessed with a beautiful day. I was cruising (for me anyway) at 9 over through 16 when I made an 8 on 17. It was really disappointing. But I'd hit the ball well all day and didn't let the fact that I absolutely cannot play out of the rough take away from what was a fantastic experience. I have played with a caddie four or five times in my life and I have to say I really like it. In addition to the benefit of local knowledge and experience, I've had the good fortune to have caddies that do a great job of picking me up when I've made a poor swing, or just making a confidence inspiring comment here and there. I wouldn't have thought that kind of thing would make a difference, but I found myself really enjoying it and feeling like a team. I think that's the mark of a good caddie and I highly recommend it.

I continued on to San Francisco for a few days where I was going to visit some friends and await the arrival of my family. I had the good fortune to be invited to play the Lake course at the Olympic club while I was in town and was very excited to have the opportunity to play a US Open course. I have to say that I didn't play well at all on this day, really in any phase of the game, but my off day was certainly compounded by what is one of, if not the, most difficult courses I've ever played. Even in the few instances where I made good swings I found my ball running across the fairway into the rough, or under a tree or something. It's hilly, surprisingly long (I played from the white tees and it still seemed like every par 4 was 400 yds+), the greens were fast, I found the rough thick, and there are few flat lies, even in the fairway. Again, it was a beautiful day, I walked the course, but shot 96 and only managed three pars.

I'm hoping to play Mayacama in Sonoma with another friend later this month, and Pebble Beach in early July, and will share those experiences as well.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
I played well at Spyglass and was again blessed with a beautiful day. I was cruising (for me anyway) at 9 over through 16 when I made an 8 on 17. It was really disappointing. But I'd hit the ball well all day and didn't let the fact that I absolutely cannot play out of the rough take away from what was a fantastic experience. I have played with a caddie four or five times in my life and I have to say I really like it. In addition to the benefit of local knowledge and experience, I've had the good fortune to have caddies that do a great job of picking me up when I've made a poor swing, or just making a confidence inspiring comment here and there. I wouldn't have thought that kind of thing would make a difference, but I found myself really enjoying it and feeling like a team. I think that's the mark of a good caddie and I highly recommend it.

Spyglass is such a had course, but really a joy to play, or at least I think it is. My first round there was in a high school match, and I was two under after two, hit a perfect shot on the little third, and it just died about ten yards short in the crap. Teed up again, hit it great with a bigger club and found a jetstream over the green and out of bounds. Ended up making a 9 on the easiest hole on the front nine. Shot 40 for 9 which was the best nine I played up to that point in my life, and perhaps the best nine I've ever played. Somehow they were able to design a course where 15 holes seem to go straight uphill. Anybody who has the chance should absolutely take it. To me, it is worth every penny, and perhaps worth the cost of playing Pebble.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice itinerary, Cool.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Some expensive rounds but the courses are awesome. A year ago I drove/walked around Pebble and Spyglass for a few hours and the experience alone was completely awesome. I can only imagine playing the courses. I believe Pebble was $500 and Spyglass at $250 for green fees.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I think Spyglass is worth it. I think Pebble is not. Cypress is the best of those, obviously.

I played Pebble and Spyglass once each 15 years ago. At that time Pebble was $250, which included range balls and a cart. Spyglass was $175 and I payed an extra $50 for a caddy (he carried two bags and made $100 for the round). At that time I thought that the Pebble fee was worth it for what was likely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It was great fun watching the tournament today and remembering where I was on each hole (although I was playing a much shorter course with much lower rough). Still it is a great memory.

kerrly

Reaction score
I played pebble beach two weeks ago. First time ever. Being from Canada I am not really in the vicinity to get their often. It was birthday gift from the lady, easily the best birthday gift I have ever had. On hole 14 they had the pin on the front, at the bottom of the slope where everyone's balls were rolling down too. There was grounds crew nearby and I was talking to them, they said the pin would never be there during the tournament because it was too hard. Well thanks for putting it there today and thanks for the 9 on this hole! It wasn't quite as bad as the greens were still seeing some water. Also very cool about the round is Lee Westwood was two groups in front of us.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice itinerary, Cool.
Thank you. I'm very fortunate and grateful to have the time to do this.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kerrly
I played pebble beach two weeks ago. First time ever. Being from Canada I am not really in the vicinity to get their often. It was birthday gift from the lady, easily the best birthday gift I have ever had. On hole 14 they had the pin on the front, at the bottom of the slope where everyone's balls were rolling down too. There was grounds crew nearby and I was talking to them, they said the pin would never be there during the tournament because it was too hard. Well thanks for putting it there today and thanks for the 9 on this hole! It wasn't quite as bad as the greens were still seeing some water. Also very cool about the round is Lee Westwood was two groups in front of us.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you play the approach short of the green on 14, if the pin's at the front on a downward slope?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you play the approach short of the green on 14, if the pin's at the front on a downward slope?

I agree. Just looked at video of the hole and that would be my shot as I'd much rather putt/chip uphill at the flag than what looks like a horrendous downhill putt if above the flag. You do need a good approach shot though as the landing area is rather small with the bunker to the left and rough to the right.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There was a major sale yesterday on www.tgw.com . I now have a new pair of Calloway shoes (not the brogued ones which I eventually want) and several pieces of clothing made of wicking technical material. If I get off early Friday, plan to go do 9 on that exec course again. I'd predict nine on a real course by end of July.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be playing my first nine holes on Saturday. We don't have an executive course, so I'm playing on a big boy course my first time out.

Pio, what type of balls did you use for your first round? I need to pick up some that are fit for a beginner. The couple of people I've asked (including the guy who is teaching me) have basically said "cheap" and "low spin," with the idea being that I'll be losing a more than a few and don't have the skills to play with a lot of spin. Any other advice?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads