• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non Lace up Shoes with a suit??? Yes or No?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really does NOT matter: YOUR choice entirely.

Kurtz

Reaction score
Nearly everyone in my office wears slip-ons with their suits
ffffuuuu.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I had always thought of these type of loafers as 'suit shoes' and never wore them any other way. http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=11920946 I heard a few years ago that loafers did not go with suits. But as has been pointed out, MANY men wear loafers with suits all the time. I have a recent Fortune 500 issue with a piece on the power CEO's that meet on some council. There is a pic of all of them together in suits and many of them are wearing loafers. Not to say that they are the most stylish guys around but it obviously doesn't hurt you professionally
laugh.gif
Many of the 'rules' simply don't apply to most people. Of course most people are just terrible awful pathetic dressers.

Rada

Reaction score
I like both... I see nothing wrong with 'loafers' and a suit. It's when you get into that moccasin style shoe you go wrong- very, very wrong.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
I had always thought of these type of loafers as 'suit shoes' and never wore them any other way.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=11920946

I heard a few years ago that loafers did not go with suits. But as has been pointed out, MANY men wear loafers with suits all the time. I have a recent Fortune 500 issue with a piece on the power CEO's that meet on some council. There is a pic of all of them together in suits and many of them are wearing loafers. Not to say that they are the most stylish guys around but it obviously doesn't hurt you professionally
laugh.gif

Many of the 'rules' simply don't apply to most people. Of course most people are just terrible awful pathetic dressers.

I frankly don't care what CEOs do. Being rich doesn't automatically grant you good taste. There are some silly rules, but the no loafers with suit is not one of them.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine.

vincerich

Reaction score
The "rules" say that you shouldn't wear slip-on shoes with a suit, but I see that "rule" broken quite often. If you're wearing a suit in a conservative, professional environment, then you should just wear the lace-ups to avoid looking odd. If you're wearing the suit in a more loose, stylish environment, then wear whatever you want. Either way, I doubt that you'll be judged too harshly by how you keep your shoes on your feet. I like not having to lace my shoes too; most of my casual shoes have no laces, but when I wear a suit, I use laces. If you buy a pair that fits well, you won't have any discomfort.

Amiens

Reaction score
Not wearing laced shoes whilst wearing a suit only serves to indicate the wearer's inability to tie their own laces; this condition is also frequently seen in the absence of a tie.
Wear a suit=wear 'proper' shoes and a tie.

conal

Reaction score
Are there any widely recognized written documents explaining the proper dressing do's and don'ts for men? If there are, what are they?
smile.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I frankly don't care what CEOs do. Being rich doesn't automatically grant you good taste. There are some silly rules, but the no loafers with suit is not one of them.

That is why I said that they were not the best dressed guy around. My point was that it obviously doesn't hurt your success in 'the real world'

I know it's a 'rule' but what does the rule mean other than 1% of the population thinks it is wrong?

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Quite frankly, the same "Rules" in fashion and business really don't go together. Go to a runway show in Paris and shoe me one piece of clothing that a businessman or businesswoman would wear. You'll be hard pressed to find anything.

If the loafers look good with the suit, wear them. Hell, if sneakers look good with your suit and it doesn't hurt you professionally, wear them too!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your wearing the suit casualy without a tie or something it works, otherwise I wouldn't

miomall1

Reaction score
^ I don't care for loafers with a suit; just a personal preference. But I've never thought they look good with a suit in a professional environment, and tassled loafers, to me, seem incongruous to a suit irrespective of the setting. Plenty of guys in my office (public sector law) will sport loafers with a suit, but they tend to be of the older set and most of them would be delighted if the office dress code were business casual.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
I had always thought of these type of loafers as 'suit shoes' and never wore them any other way.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=11920946

According to Flusser, tasseled loafers are among the most casual of styles. The more ornamentation on clothing, the less it is considered conservative business dress.
Again, many Americans wear loafers wth suits, but I don't care for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads