• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Trickers

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Can anyone help me find a pair of shoes similar to the Tricker's shown below? The model is called the Robert. There were several pairs available here a few months ago, but I was too indecisive. The closest I can think of is the Alden PTB in whiskey or ravello, although that would be over 2x as expensive as these Tricker's.

Trickers265.jpg

What size? UK or US?

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Tweed
It is not really a collection, like the Country, 1829 or Jermyn collection. To my experience Tricker's use it to describe shoes on their W2298 last. This is more of a country last, but slightly slimmer and longer compared to the country classics like Bourton and Malton. Not a bad choice for some nice dirty bucks, I guess...
Yours,
Mr. Tweed

Anymore sizing advice for this W2298 last? This is the only post I could find. I don't know my size relative to other Trickers. I'm typically a 9D in US shoes. 8.5D is AE Park Avenues, 8.5D Alden barrie last etc.

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thrifted an old pair of trickers
30su07k.jpg
wondering what, if any, leather treatment i should use on them(they're quite dry at the creases

hobscrk777

Reaction score
That looks like a solid pair. I notice that the eyelets are pulled together really closely. Is that your true size or does it feel roomy?

In any case, if you can find some light brown shoe cream (I think the Allen Edmonds website has some) that certainly wouldn't hurt.

roguetheory

Reaction score
I'm in the hunt for a pair of Tricker's in the Henry model, without the commando sole. Which is the best place to find them?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexSF
the tricker's are these:
domog3.jpg

A member has offered me his Tricker's shoes. The problem is that I wear either 9.5 or 10Uk shoes in AS, Sanders and C &J. The shoes he is offering are marked "10.5", which according to him is a 10.5UK, but I've also hear some members say its a 10UK on a 5 fitting. What i have heard is that the Tricker's run a little short in length and it's not a bad idea to size up. Can anyone confirm is the tricker's marked 10.5 will be Ok for UK 10.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a trickers loafer that is labeled as a "10-5" and I believe that means 10 length and 5 for a normal width.
For clarity inside the shoe it says 10 hyphen 5 and not "10.5".

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb200
I have a trickers loafer that is labeled as a "10-5" and I believe that means 10 length and 5 for a normal width.
For clarity inside the shoe it says 10 hyphen 5 and not "10.5".

+ 1.

It's the exact same on my pair of Tricker's. Size 10 width 5.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Careful when ordering these. I bought mine from a member on here, clearly labeled 11.5 in 5 width (inside said 11 1/2 - 5), which is what I wear in the Bourton and Stow (normally MTO only size). However when these arrived they were much shorter than my other Trickers and now my best friend is enjoying them.
plain.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Belated thanks for your replies. I have more questions. I am considering buying these shoes from the Tricker's ebay shop. They are available in both 9.5 and 10UK. I generally wear 9.5 Uk in C&J and Grenson rose though for some reason I need a 10Uk in chukkas (both CJ and AS). So what size would you suggest. I had asked about beechnut burnished color before and Mr.Tweed and Wes Bourne had kindly posted pics as well. Now, can some tell me if the color of the shoes on ebay is accurate to the actual color of beechnut burnished calf. Link to the shoes http://cgi.ebay.com/Trickers-Factory...ht_1401wt_1137

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricker's in my experience fit a tiny bit big.

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Belated thanks for your replies.

I have more questions. I am considering buying these shoes from the Tricker's ebay shop. They are available in both 9.5 and 10UK. I generally wear 9.5 Uk in C&J and Grenson rose though for some reason I need a 10Uk in chukkas (both CJ and AS). So what size would you suggest.

I had asked about beechnut burnished color before and Mr.Tweed and Wes Bourne had kindly posted pics as well. Now, can some tell me if the color of the shoes on ebay is accurate to the actual color of beechnut burnished calf.

Link to the shoes http://cgi.ebay.com/Trickers-Factory...ht_1401wt_1137

Mr. Tweed at your service...

Regarding sizing there is unfortunately no other method but trying them on to be able to choose between half sizes. It all depends on how your feet compare to the last. Chukkas are often made on slim equestrian lasts, and if you have wide feet you might need to size up. Tricker's 1829 collection is not as wide as their Country collection, and just slightly longer than the Jermyn collection. It is, however, not a slim last, and I doubt that you would have to size up to get them wide enough. But you will never know until you have tried them on.

Regarding the colour it looks like Beechnut burnished on my screen, but how it looks on your is a different matter. Some of the pictures look a little dark, and some of them a little light. Beechnut is a classic brown colour, not dark brown, and certainly not tan. Perfect for a sports jacket, or for your navy suit on a less formal occasion.

Just buy them and try them...

Yours,
Mr. Tweed

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I had asked about beechnut burnished color before and Mr.Tweed and Wes Bourne had kindly posted pics as well. Now, can some tell me if the color of the shoes on ebay is accurate to the actual color of beechnut burnished calf.

Link to the shoes http://cgi.ebay.com/Trickers-Factory...ht_1401wt_1137

The lightest pic in that listing still appears quite darker and more reddish/orange on my monitor than the 1 pair of Regents I had in Beechnut Burnished calf, e.g. the color is not nearly as saturated irl. Same with the pics of my Regents...
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads