• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

erzu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
"did your mommy tuck in your shirt?"
no, your mama did, after she swallowed my love juice.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
I go to a state school in the middle of nowhere, NY. If I wear something as simple as a button down and slim strait jeans I get "***" hurled right at me. Of course I ignore it...but this one time one of my professors made an announcment for a "gay rights community event" and then asked me to tell everyone more about it.

hahahahaha, that sucks

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Nothing but positive comments here.

Headline - 6'2 ripped giant receives no insults.

dinogj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lynx_the_one
People sometimes give me crap about cuffed jeans.

im really surprised about the cuffed jeans + no socks thing over here is nowheresland...i can be called a *** for wearing a button down, but nobody gives a crap if my jeans or chinos are rolled up and im not wearing socks with my shoes. like ive actually gotten some of my roommates to try it out.

...Now the trick is to see if I can get them to trade the athletic shoes for real shoes and keep the nikes for gym.

bitches like dem shiney shoes.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Criticism is kept to a minimum now that I am in college and people are used to seeing things out of the ordinary. I feel like most of the negative comments came from my parents or from people who are immature, so the comments don't really resonate. Often times when people have something negative to say about what I'm wearing I know they are insecure or don't have the balls to wear what I do. To each his own.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
im really surprised about the cuffed jeans + no socks thing over here is nowheresland...i can be called a *** for wearing a button down, but nobody gives a crap if my jeans or chinos are rolled up and im not wearing socks with my shoes. like ive actually gotten some of my roommates to try it out.

...Now the trick is to see if I can get them to trade the athletic shoes for real shoes and keep the nikes for gym.

bitches like dem shiney shoes.

I'm not sure why anyone would call one a *** for wearing a button down and straight leg jeans. Are you sure there's not another underlying reason for the insults?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Insults? Back up a step, they may be intended as such but what they really are is loud self-declarations of bigtory and stupidity... If you guys get that yelled at you by people you know in seriousness, I really hope you're at least making mental notes about them being poor excuses for human beings. I've never heard anyone in any social group I've been a part of throw that term at anyone.

reprehensible

Reaction score
I can't recall any criticisms I've gotten, but I don't wear anything too remarkable (maybe someday). I guess one time, in the context of a broader conversation, a coworker said that I'd be able to fit more stuff in my pockets if I wore looser jeans. True!

The abundance of homophobic insults people seem to get is depressing.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Insults? Back up a step, they may be intended as such but what they really are is loud self-declarations of bigtory and stupidity...

usually it is self-loathing that drives the insults. ask Larry Craig.

mgoose

Reaction score
As Nils said being over 6' and 200 lbs helps to minimize the negative comments.

I don't dress as baller or edgy as a lot of sf ppl, and I tend to generally garner positive comments, I think it's because I've really learned to pay attention to fit. Although it took me awhile to get to where I am now, and I used to hear the same gay type jokes others have as well. If you want those to stop, hit the gym and add 40 lbs, all of the sudden you become a lot less "gay"

Sherlockian

Reaction score
I get the odd bit of banter about wearing very slim (i.e. New Cures or Grifters) jeans, but its generally from others who at least have some kind of sartorial interest - around here, you can usually spot them a mile off because their clothes actually fit them, rather than their taller, fatter brother. Being in relatively decent shape, with arms that don't look like featureless pipecleaners, also helps.

I tend to leave the outright skinny jeans and cuban heels until I'm out with my band, in which case a bit of (comparatively) outlandish style seems par for the course. Chicks love a good Panama hat.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only one critizing me is my gf when i wear carhartt pants. otherwise positive responses from "everyone".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads