• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People i've recently met never give me ****.

It's the people who've been there through the transition who give me ****. My flatmates had a bit of a laugh, but they're over it. My family also had a bit of a laugh, but it was good natured. That was also when i wasn't really pulling things off. Now that i do it with more confidence, noone says anything. either that or they don't care. or both.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
it doesn't cost much money at all to not look like ****, they're just too ******* lazy to care

I think it's more that they've never been placed in an environment where they should care. The idea of caring about clothing is totally foreign to them. It's like me saying, "aeglus! You have ****** taste in music! It's not hard to listen to good music, you must not care." I don't actually know what kind of music you like, but it's another whole sphere of the human experience in which people not only don't participate, but don't understand that they can or should participate.

I think they should participate in both things, as well as many other things, but I'm in a position where I can pursue all these interests and aspects of life. If some guy is moving lumber around a field all day and then comes home to be with his kids, I'm not going to bother him for not wanting to go shopping. Also, "fashion" for the untrained is a total minefield of scorn, misinformation, and misplaced elitism. A guy came into work today and tried to explain to me the fact that he had better style than I did because he owned 30 pairs of True Religions... stuff like that.

On topic: I've been called out for wearing a cardigan (in the sense of "only gay guys wear cardigans"), wearing a vest (in the sense of "why would anyone wear a vest"), wearing a blazer to a family reunion (as in, "I guess SOMEONE's back from college"), piercing my ears ("how are people supposed to know you're straight if you pierced both ears"), and being blond ("there's no way that's real, I bet he dyes it and just pretends"). I have gotten nothing but compliments on my beatle boots, though.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
To be fair, lots of those people have better things to spend their money on like children, mortgages, cars, taxes, insurance etc...

While that may be true, I find people to be critical because they're threatened by your taste, not because of your spending choices.

scribbles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
To be fair, lots of those people have better things to spend their money on like children, mortgages, cars, taxes, insurance etc...
Those all sound like poor investments/ money pits to me.

derekzee

Reaction score
of others not very... but when they seem to be into style a little bit. especially when they think they dress well just because they read gq.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore some n&f green weird guys for the n&f world tour and got the nickname peter pan from my water polo team.
I also really hate how caring about fashion is seen as effeminate or "metrosexual" in the US. I'm pretty sure in Europe and Japan this mostly isn't the case.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cardigan almost always guarantees at least one Mr. Rogers reference and a possible "Does your grandma know you have her sweater" comment if the cardigan is at all substantial.

sle-z-e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Cardigan almost always guarantees at least one Mr. Rogers reference and a possible "Does your grandma know you have her sweater" comment if the cardigan is at all substantial.

Actually the piece that I own that gets the most compliments is a substantial cardigan from, believe it or not, the GAP. But yes, I have grown to love the Mr. Rogers reference.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm critically acclaimed.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
I wore some n&f green weird guys for the n&f world tour and got the nickname peter pan from my water polo team.
I also really hate how caring about fashion is seen as effeminate or "metrosexual" in the US. I'm pretty sure in Europe and Japan this mostly isn't the case.

To the extent most of us on here care about it, yes it is.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the women I've dated have made disparaging remarks about my boots and universally like my common projects. Incidentally I enjoy wearing them the least.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Everyone says "shiny shoes" about my raf vandals and I'm like astute observation friend.

I've been wearing cardigans for years and used to always elicit the obligatory Mr. Rogers comment but now everyone loves them. Even had my chick jockin it talking about how she loved how I looked in it (black dries).

Absolutely everyone comments on my ervell suede bomber when they see or touch it, they're like is this suede? I've never felt suede this soft. Or your jeans are so rough! My current chick is like when are you going to wear your crazy stuff?? She is very supportive I must say and loves it.

Reaction score
people complimenting my samurais but calling them "dark wash" what the heck people, come on!!

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most common adjective used to describe my clothes is "gay". Thanks, Styleforum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads