• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxfords for the semi-poor man

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been running up against a problem. I'd like to get a pair of dark brown oxford shoes -- ones that I can wear with anything from trousers to blue jeans. They should fit my general lifestyle as a graduate student, which means I'd like for them to be nice, but nothing brogued or overly dressy. My problem is that I'm on a fairly tight budget. I recently discovered Salvatore Ferragamo Pierluigi shoes, and I quite like them, but even on eBay they're a good $250. Something like these would also be great http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4...zg1ao1_500.jpg Does this community have any recommendations on what I can get? My budget doesn't stretch more than $150. Many thanks in advance for your advice.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
If you're willing to stomach an imperfection, get some seconds from Allen Edmonds, they're having a sale right now. The Delray looks very similar to that photo and the chili color pictured is $129.
allen149587_58356_jb.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Chili AEs develop a very nice patina over time. This looks like what you may be looking for.

non boring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
If you're willing to stomach an imperfection, get some seconds from Allen Edmonds, they're having a sale right now. The Delray looks very similar to that photo and the chili color pictured is $129.

is this in store or online?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to give them a call. Check out the AE Tent Sale thread.

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Chilli is far from dark brown, too red. And AEs are much more rounded in the toe than the OP is looking for. I'd look at these: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/1111.php Doesn't have a split toe but has more of the shape I think you are looking for and at £97 is close to your budget - they will likely include shoe horn and polish.

enarchay

Reaction score
Discontinued AEs or AE seconds. For instance, I called AE and they have the McClain in select sizes/colors for $149! Ask them to send you a list of discontinued models in your size(s).

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I would keep checking the buying and selling fora here on Styleforum for used shoes. I got some great deals on shoes that were barely worn in past. If you want unworn shoes, I would try checking Nordstrom Rack for discounted Allen Edmonds, although they may not have the styles you are looking for. It's kind of hit or miss.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Do a Bing search for Allen Edmonds. Click on the sponsored link for Endlessshoes.com You will get a cashback option of 30% that can be applied to any brand of shoe on Endless (I think.) You can buy shoes on sale or maybe stretch your budget a little until you get the cash back in 60 days.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Check out a Nordstrom Rack near you, they often have good deals on shoes

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
I would keep checking the buying and selling fora here on Styleforum for used shoes. I got some great deals on shoes that were barely worn in past. If you want unworn shoes, I would try checking Nordstrom Rack for discounted Allen Edmonds, although they may not have the styles you are looking for. It's kind of hit or miss.
I'd avoid used shoes if you can help it. I was planning on buying shoes off ebay until I realized that shoes--particularly AEs--mold to your foot as you wear them, maximizing comfort. Buying used shoes = buying a shoe molded to another person's foot.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on Johnston & Murphy? I browsed around eBay for AE, but in the process also came across some good looking Johnston & Murphy shoes. How is the quality of JMs?

Also, andr3pwd is right, AE does seem to have a bit more of a rounder toe that I'd like. Do people have other brand recommendations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics