• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
to be fair he even criticized himself on that by doing a photoshop of a bunch of mannequins being set up at a shop except it was all one of his fits

brings up a good point about how a few small things like posture/hair/glasses can change the overall feel of the pic. Compare these two:

tell me if I would have gotten any praise at all for the second pic

Which subforum?
tounge.gif

On SW&D, I think it's pretty obvious that the first one received loads of well deserved praise and the second one would simply not receive as much (though I think if you had posted it it certainly would've gotten praise because there are posters who can appreciate a great suit fit for simply that; yet it's less visually interesting, tells less of a story, doesn't communicate your character as succinctly etc...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I dont' know. To me, those kinds of pics are like taping your golf swing to study it later. Great to analyze fro ma different point of view to see if your mechanics are off and maybe go over it with a swing coach, but not all that interesting to show others though. I guess i can see how some like to see how the sausage is made though. Trying to think of other bad comparisons....

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
What the ****, GILT? Come on.
med.jpg

AAAAAAHHhahahahahahahhahahahaaha

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
They are pretty good axes.
maybe, but it's too small to be used for splitting logs, too big to be used as a hatchet, and too expensive for me to use as either. The holster was over the top ridiculous, though.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really want a khaki suit, but don't have any destinations where I could justify wearing it. I only seem to get invited to summer weddings where I'm actually part of the wedding party, and thus, destined to a future of Men's Wearhouse rental tuxes.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^ Just break the rules. Alternatively, just wear it around for no good reason. I bought one for the same purposes and have no regrets.

Anyone know a cheap place to buy APC Petit Standards or have a line on something like that? Realize they don't like discounting but perhaps someone has the hookup. I'm kind of at a toss-up stage between those and the somewhat pricier Dutil Quintessential for a skinny jean.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i recently saw the PS in black for 100 at kiosk in london was 68gbp after shipping and without vat

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Really want a khaki suit, but don't have any destinations where I could justify wearing it. I only seem to get invited to summer weddings where I'm actually part of the wedding party, and thus, destined to a future of Men's Wearhouse rental tuxes.

I wear suits whenever just for the hell of it, just start doing that.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not really doing anything these days that would justify any sort of formal wear. I'm quasi-friends with a lot of the artsy fartsy people in the city who like to drink cheap wine and pretend they know a lot about art. I should start making more time with them, since they frequent the types of gatherings and events where a khaki suit would go over well.

Of course, I say all of this retrospectively, since the suit I had in mind was at an H&M in NYC. The closest one here is a 90-minute drive and it's an outlet version at that. Fit was pretty spot on (slim fit instead of regular, FWIW) and the materials felt nice for the price ($200).

Man, one more swipe of the credit card wouldn't have been so bad.

Speaking of suits, I got word that the father of a high school buddy of mine died on Monday. Funeral is tomorrow. I'm going and actually felt like a shallow person when one of my first thoughts was, "****, I really don't have an appropriate dark suit for this."

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
For 200 you don't really have to even wear it that often to justify it unless you have really limited space for clothes. That being said I just think you should stop worrying about "places it will go over well" and wear it if you like it. It's just clothes after all, and if the fit is on you'll look good, regardless of whether other people are wearing suits. It's more about carrying it off.

Not to mention a summer suit is pretty much the easiest possible thing to dress down. No tie, or a skinny chambray tie, or a seersucker tie or whatever if you want (even a bow tie but that's not my thing). Linen or otherwise summery shirt, potentially with some sort of pattern, and with some colour, possibly washed out. Socks with shoes optional. Imo that's just as casual as chinos and a sihrt; you could be hanging out with a bunch of people in jeans and not look at all out of place.

I think the traditional MC response on the funeral thought would be, that's not shallow, you care enough to want to dress properly for the occasion and at least to the bereaved, which are the only people who really matter because it's who the occasion is for, it demonstrates a measure of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads