• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^

Cosigned. Very strange and stiff looking.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dunno, to me that just looks like an amazing tailor has done an amazing job.

Keep in mind that i'm pretty sure Vox lifts, and IRL has Kunk-like proportions. He could do much slimmer suit with slimmer, lower rise pants if he wanted to, but it'd just look weird.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
You guys realize he's going to... um, move in real life right? Just looks like a statue in a picture. Fit is near perfect, it's not the cut I would choose for myself but any nitpicking you could make would be a matter of personal preference (ie I would want narrower lapel, slightly slimmer sleeve, maybe a touch more waist suppression, little bit of break... etc). He knows what he's doing / what he wants and he's clearly got it. I guess he could benefit from a different tie, don't like that shade.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yfyffs20080104recq8.jpg
Picture sans coat is so good.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
[left pic clickable for larger image] Wings+Horns denim jacket (made in Japan) J. Crew (!) chambray work shirt Crate for Farinelli's jeans Ironheart cowhide belt RM Williams chelseas
Wings+Horn Cowichan cardigan Oxxford (by Kiton) buttondown shirt Nom de Guerre Classic Fit jeans in gray and cream reverse weft selvage denim Ironheart cowhide belt RM Williams chelseas
675213984_jyFdL-XL.jpg
The Flat Head flannel shirt 5EP for StyleForum denim Ironheart cowhide belt R.M. Williams chelseas

Vox pwns.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound overly analytical, and it is, but what some MC posters do well--vox and iammatt come to mind, and really I don't read it much anymore--is kind of a winking embrace of formalism. The better dressers know the rules and know how silly they are, but still choose to play on that field in a way they find interesting. The overall effect may seem stiff or anal, but I think dismissing it as boring or just coloring within the lines is myopic.

Maybe I'm just jealous of their wealth of both money and snark

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
yfyffs20080104recq8.jpg

Picture sans coat is so good.

Height of the collar versus slimness of the lapels really bugs me, not a good YFYF outfit IMHO. Note that it might be the angle. The coat looks great though....

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Vox pwns.

These are good fits, but the one in the suit is just lifeless and boring. Good example of how to follow all the rules and still look styless. No wonder hendrix likes it (8). I think shoreman is thinking too much into it, even if he's a good dresser doesn't mean he's infallible. Or maybe I just haven't had the MC kool-aid yet

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
This is going to sound overly analytical, and it is, but what some MC posters do well--vox and iammatt come to mind, and really I don't read it much anymore--is kind of a winking embrace of formalism. The better dressers know the rules and know how silly they are, but still choose to play on that field in a way they find interesting. The overall effect may seem stiff or anal, but I think dismissing it as boring or just coloring within the lines is myopic.

Maybe I'm just jealous of their wealth of both money and snark

Taking the concept of developing a wardrobe/personal style for the sake of an internet community to the next level.
lol8[1].gif
I guess it's cool, dunno, people say (complain) that no one IRL would notice our style but seriously, does the comparison even need to be made? Obviously MC is more or less a uniform so it's a bit unfair but nonetheless, it seems like a significantly more personal quest for satisfaction then, for instance mine, which really just involves me trying to make myself as sexy as possible.
lol8[1].gif

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
These are good fits, but the one in the suit is just lifeless and boring. Good example of how to follow all the rules and still look styless. No wonder hendrix likes it (8). I think shoreman is thinking too much into it, even if he's a good dresser doesn't mean he's infallible. Or maybe I just haven't had the MC kool-aid yet

hmmm.

Do you really think if you saw him in that suit in the street you would think he's styleless?

If i saw him amongst the myriad of young professionals, who now all wear slim fit suits with low rise flat front pants (not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it's just ubiquitous now), i definitely think he'd stand out. also his shoes are ******* sexy.

but i don't like his tie.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
hmmm.

Do you really think if you saw him in that suit in the street you would think he's styleless?

Yep, there's nothing about that fit that interests me. Looks like some guy dressed for another day at the office.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
Yep, there's nothing about that fit that interests me. Looks like some guy dressed for another day at the office.

where the hell do you live that the average person is wearing a suit that fits perfectly, along with shoes that aren't square toe kenneth coles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads