• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I should never have entered Esquire's BDRM contest.

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
Saying jumpers isn't ostentatious or old-man ish, it's just English English. In England people use plenty of American terminology but aren't considered "ostentatious.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Vox's ties are perfectly centered and dimpled but he is really an ideal that is out of reach for most people.

I tie them while spinning in a centrifuge so that the laws of physics work on my behalf.

You are quite right, however: this is not really feasible for most.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishLapel
Saying jumpers isn't ostentatious or old-man ish, it's just English English. In England people use plenty of American terminology but aren't considered "ostentatious.

Did you actually read the original post?

confused.gif

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Lawd above! Ever since I was a finalist an' appeared on da Today show, I gok wan't escape discussin' me clothes wiv acquaintances an' blods now chicken pie me up an' down every bird lime I see 'em. Even worse, they always butcher's 'ook disappoin'ed an' skeptical. I wawer a blue OCBD under a navy cashmere v-neck jumper an' grey callard an' bousers wiv longwings ter a 'oliday party; an acquaintance approached me wiv a discomdodulated butcher's 'ook on 'is face, then stated: "You aren't very well dressed today." Mates keep track ov what I wear an' say things like "Isn't what da same crisp packet you wawer last week?" an' "Oh, I 'eard wingtips was aaaht ov style" an' "That's so 80's!" Of caaahrse, they also ask fer advice, which I popperoo not ter give. But then push comes ter shove, an' I make a recommendashun. At least a dozen male blods 'ave asked me what kind ov shirts I like ter wear casually. When I tell 'em I like Brooks Bruvvers OCBDs (and explain what those are), they grimace an' poin' aaaht in a pityin' tone what they've already upgraded ter Pink awer Tyrwhitt. I'm bob an' dick ov explainin' what me "hankie" is fer an' why i' doesn't match me tie. Everyone 'as asked me at least once where ter bought a "cool pinstriped blazer" ter wear wiv jeans. A bee's knees blod introduced me ter 'is girlblod fer da first bird lime an' poin'ed aaaht proudly what I was one ov da "best-dressed blokes in America." She laughed an' blurted aaaht "But you dress like a dad!" Somewhat sheepishly comin' ter me defense, 'e explains what I dress "very unique." Every chicken pie asks me fer what I think abaaaht their clothes, but in a disingenuous, braggin' manner, as if ter make sure I know I didn't deserve ter be a finalist because 'is crisp packet is Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL. I always politely say "Very nice. I like it." They follow-up wiv: "Do you know where I got it?" "Huh, I dunno." "It's a Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL." "Oh, cool. Fast food stuff." "What designer is yours?" "Oh, I 'ad a tailor make it." "Oh . . . Well, chickens neck aaaht Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL. I got a charlotte blod who works at Bergdorf/Saks/Bloomingdales who says it's da absolute best." And da gucci. Oh god. People butcher's 'ook at me gucci like I'm a 'omeless person wiv one 'undred an' thirty cardboard strapped under me pates ov meat . No, they're not Gucci awer Ferragamo. Yes, I know I gok wan get 'em fer what I paid fer deese. Jabba da Hutt up, shut up, shut up.

Suddenly everyone's a critic an' a fashion editor. It's not me self-esteem awer confidence at stake, but me sanity. I don't like charlie chalkin' ter people anymawer because they gok wan only seem ter charlie chalk abaaaht what I'm wearing. Let dis be a lesson ter uvvers., innit.

- B

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Did you actually read the original post?

confused.gif

- B

Vox how long did that take you! Besides you didn't find a way to intergrate jellied eeles or other cockney (which barely exist anymore) delights. So, in true Divalo style you will recieve a B for effort. Instead of my English A* as opposed to A plus

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ofcourse! It was bloody entertaining! However I just felt like putting in my two pennies. And pointing out that Americanisms in England don't seem to be met with the same reaction as British Englishisms in America.

I think that we react okay to at least some vernacular Englishisms of the common people.

kelly-brook.jpg

LADeeley_468x568.jpg

- B

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think that we react okay to at least some vernacular Englishisms of the common people.

kelly-brook.jpg

LADeeley_468x568.jpg

- B

ooops! HOWEVER when/if Lucy Pinder comes to the US then you should be happy.
bigstar[1].gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

I think you're talking about the V700 or V750. Those are the best Epson offers right now, but they are not dedicated film scanners (rather, flatbeds that come with film strip holders). I'm sure the scans look perfectly decent, but if I were to ever invest thousands and thousands of dollars in Leica equipment, I would not want to funnel neck image quality at the scanner. Nothing beats a dedicated 35mm scanner. Nikon's 5000ED, discontinued, is still one of the best prosumer 35mm scanners ever made.

Tell you what: I'll scan the same negative twice - on on my 5000ED, and one on my V750. If you can tell the difference, I'll send you $10.00 and my AE Tent Sale invite.

BTW, the 9000 is only about $2,000. That and a used MP will cost you about the same as a midnight blue bespoke Italian tuxedo.

Thank you for reminding me why I don't like talking to most people on this forum either.
Like I said, "jumpers" is not what I say in real-life and I don't think I've ever used the word before on the forums either. Of course, rather than accept that it was a fluke here, you'd rather fly in the face of all reason and believe I was being ostentatious, even as I openly admitted I don't actually say "jumpers." I'm sure you'll relish it the next time I type "grey" instead of "gray."
Cry me a river. A liberal application of the philosophy of my favorite 14th-century English logician, theologian and Franciscan friar William of Ockham, leads me to accept the most reasonable, simple explanation for unexplained phenomena. Therefore, use of the term "jumper" seems less likely a typo and more likely a douche-y affectation.

However, I will never criticize a simple typo. I'm not an unreasonable barbarian!

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

British people are ostentatious by default. You are all cultured and rich too, from what I hear.

Seriously, here's something fun you may not know. Americans cannot tell when a brit is lying - we get confused by the accent. This is a fact. My father's been a judge for 30 years and claims he cannot judge the credibility of a British witness. I can't do it, and I've been a lawyer for quite a while. No one here can. We think Lennox Lewis might be a Rhodes Scholar.

Go up to any American and tell them the most outlandish lie you can think of. They'll believe you - it's uncanny.

ajv

Reaction score
Been here before page 11,

Adrian

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Tell you what: I'll scan the same negative twice - on on my 5000ED, and one on my V750. If you can tell the difference, I'll send you $10.00 and my AE Tent Sale invite.

BTW, the 9000 is only about $2,000. That and a used MP will cost you about the same as a midnight blue bespoke Italian tuxedo.

The 9000 is not a dedicated 35mm scanner, and is still in production, which is why it doesn't cost as much as a used 5000. Also, the 5000 has a roll feeding accessory that is not available on the 9000. This makes a huge difference since it takes so long to properly scan a single film frame--you can just load up the whole roll and let the scanner run overnight.

I bet I could tell the difference between a 5000ED and V750 scan fairly easily--especially on screen.

Cry me a river. A liberal application of the philosophy of my favorite 14th-century English logician, theologian and Franciscan friar William of Ockham, leads me to accept the most reasonable, simple explanation for unexplained phenomena. Therefore, use of the term "jumper" seems less likely a typo and more likely a douche-y affectation.

However, I will never criticize a simple typo. I'm not an unreasonable barbarian!

Ockham's razor says that the explanation with the fewest elements necessary to fully explain a particular phenomenon is the most likely to be true. In this case, your explanation may have the fewest elements, but it does not explain the phenomenon. If typing "jumper" was a "douche-y affectation," I would not have admitted that it is not a word I actually use (or ever would).

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
British people are ostentatious by default. You are all cultured and rich too, from what I hear.

Seriously, here's something fun you may not know. Americans cannot tell when a brit is lying - we get confused by the accent. This is a fact. My father's been a judge for 30 years and claims he cannot judge the credibility of a British witness. I can't do it, and I've been a lawyer for quite a while. No one here can. We think Lennox Lewis might be a Rhodes Scholar.

Go up to any American and tell them the most outlandish lie you can think of. They'll believe you - it's uncanny.

So I can tell them I have tea with the Queen and spend all my time in Harrods wearing a bowler hat and walking on the pavement with a tightly furled umbrella and they will belive me? Sweet.
laugh.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I can tell them I have tea with the Queen and spend all my time in Harrods wearing a bowler hat and walking on the pavement with a tightly furled umbrella and they will belive me? Sweet.
laugh.gif

I think you're missing a fine, but important, distinction. It is not so much the English that Americans find ostentatious, but Americans who act "English." Notice that I put my period inside the quotation marks--where God intended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads