• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
The 341 last is nice (I have the Bradford, Worcester and Westfield on that last). From my memory of trying it on, the 337 is slightly more elongated than than the 341 - is that right? Apropos, the dark brown(?) Finsbury looks great in that shot, with more colour depth than I think is usual for C&J. Is that true to life or maybe due to some colour banding from high ISO? (The EXIF data is missing from the pic). It would be nice to see them in natural light, when you get the chance.
The 341 is not as elongated as the 337. What eventually began to bother me with the 337 was that the 'fuller' front outer quarter (where the shoe curves over your small toe) combined with the higher toebox resulted in a shoe that looked a little snouty to my eyes on my feet, or like a toucan's beak almost. The photo was taken in natural light on a cloudy day, and on my screen is true to life. I cut out and resized in PS, which might explain the lack of EXIF data. I was quite surprised when I opened the box today for a few reasons - - This is not a flat dark brown. It's more of a darkish brown than dark brown. - There is a surprising amount of subtle colour variation reminiscent of museum calf - even more than my Belgraves, which is not congruent with my prior experience that for 'antiquing' handgrades > benchgrades. And that C&J hardly 'antiques'. - Even more surprising, there is a fair amount of red in the brown. Almost mahogany? For C&J, this is very un-C&J. Maybe I got lucky? I know from the seller that my shoes were sent direct from the factory and were made in the last few weeks, tops. I have absolutely no idea what to polish these as I want to preserve this colour and the variation.
confused.gif

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realised I had just written 'natural light' in my previous post, and edited it while you replied.

Maybe just use natural wax for these? Maybe a brown wax occasionally, but probably no coloured cremes/polishes as they might 'paint' the shoe uniformly in their colour.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
If the trees are the best thing about about a pair of shoes, you know that something must be wrong.

laugh.gif

Leather Sole are dumping G&G right?

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Leather Sole are dumping G&G right?

Yes whatever they have left $895 includes shipping and trees, only E width available.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought 341 was supposed to be a bit roomier?

bbhewee

Reaction score
Pardon the poor picture but I thought I would participate... My work outfits are very casual so most of my shoes are more workwear-inspired... However I have a few more classic options. And these which sit in the middle.

Berluti Alessandro Norvegese in camel leather

l1060239.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
Yes whatever they have left $895 includes shipping and trees, only E width available.

That's E UK / D US, right?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Took delivery today of 2 Gieves & Hawkes shoes. A navy monk (which I have been wanting forever) and a purported black shell cordovan. They certainly feel and look like shell, but can anyone confirm?
DSC05661.jpg
DSC05662.jpg
DSC05664.jpg
DSC05665.jpg
DSC05668.jpg
DSC05669.jpg
DSC05672.jpg
DSC05671.jpg

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Took delivery today of 2 Gieves & Hawkes shoes. A navy monk (which I have been wanting forever) and a purported black shell cordovan. They certainly feel and look like shell, but can anyone confirm?

both look to be fairly nice leather, but not shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads