• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe care: timing and best products?

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Walter4
If I can add, there can be a different with shoe trees. Those that are made by the shoe manufacturer for the specific last of shoe are best, as the key purpose of shoe trees is to maintain the shape of the shoe.
Does AE sell lasted shoe trees? I bought a spring-loaded shoe tree from AE, and I followed their size chart, and I notice the fit is fairly tight--it's a bit difficult to get the shoe tree to slide into the heel. I worry that this will stretch the shoe, but I don't have any alternatives at the moment.

enarchay

Reaction score
I'm about to buy some products from AE's site, so just to recap...

I should use polish, but not wax?

Do I need anything else on this list?

1. AE Conditioner/cleaner

2. AE polish

3. AE horsehair brush

4. AE flannel cloth

5. Heel/sole edge dressing.

Do I also need the shoe cream?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raralith
- Edge dressing: This is purely aethetics. The edge of your shoe, where the sole is, is leather but a black or brown dye is put on top of it, called a "dressing." Well, if you look at the tip of your shoe and see that the dye has been worn down (the way you walk, walked into something, etc...), you can now see the nude leather. Applying edge dressing (in whatever color) redyes it so it looks newer and gives it more of a clean look.
Important step. And don't be afraid to wear suede in the rain (see Kaplan's response).

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay

2. AE polish

3. AE horsehair brush

4. AE flannel cloth

Anyone?

Raralith

Reaction score
Anyone?

Personally, I would invest in a bit higher quality shoe care products. I started with AE polish, and while they are good, they are no where as good as Sapphir which I am using now. That being said, I'd call Leffot in New York or Franco's in Virginia as both sell Sapphir cleaner/conditioners, polishes, and waxes. It will cost you a lot more, you are probably spending only $40 and the same items would probably cost $100, but I think it is well worth it. If you think that's too much, it really isn't in the long haul, I'd at least skip the AE cleaner/conditioner and get Renouvatur at the very least.

enarchay

Reaction score
Personally, I would invest in a bit higher quality shoe care products. I started with AE polish, and while they are good, they are no where as good as Sapphir which I am using now. That being said, I'd call Leffot in New York or Franco's in Virginia as both sell Sapphir cleaner/conditioners, polishes, and waxes. It will cost you a lot more, you are probably spending only $40 and the same items would probably cost $100, but I think it is well worth it. If you think that's too much, it really isn't in the long haul, I'd at least skip the AE cleaner/conditioner and get Renouvatur at the very least.

What exactly is the difference? I can't afford to spend a lot of cash on maintenance products.

But if I did buy from AE, which products should I get?

viator

Reaction score
Personally, I would invest in a bit higher quality shoe care products. I started with AE polish, and while they are good, they are no where as good as Sapphir which I am using now.
I thought the AE polish was rebranded Colonil, which is highly regarded. Not saing Saphir isn't better, just that the AE stuff is very good as well.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone?
From the AE site...

Every so often, use cleaner/conditioner to remove common dirt and dust from your shoes before polishing. This extra step is a necessary precaution to protect the natural beauty of the leather.

When needed, apply a shoe cream that's slightly lighter than the color of the leather. Allen Edmonds shoe cream is specially formulated to renew color, cover scratches and moisturize your shoes.
After the shoe cream has dried, buff the shoes with a soft brush.

Use carnauba base wax to polish your shoes regularly. Brush and rub with a soft cloth for a high gloss.

Sounds like you have it covered. I know some shoe shines do not use the carnauba wax, just the shoe cream. This will give you less shine.

Raralith

Reaction score
What exactly is the difference? I can't afford to spend a lot of cash on maintenance products.

But if I did buy from AE, which products should I get?

Between AE and Sapphir? The cleaner/conditioner is a cream and just by itself, really cleans up the shoe much better. Polish wise, it gives more color. Wax wise, much easier to work (tuppertine seems to melt and apply better) and looks better. You are going to spend money on maintenance anyways, but from experience, some products will do a better job bringing out that shine and color of shoes. This is where the extra money is going towards.

If you were buying AE, just get the cleaner/conditioner, polish, and/or wax depending on if you are going to apply wax.

Originally Posted by viator
I thought the AE polish was rebranded Colonil, which is highly regarded. Not saing Saphir isn't better, just that the AE stuff is very good as well.

Yeah, it's good stuff, just that there's much better out there. Some people like AE's, others like Lobbs.

enarchay

Reaction score
I don't think I want wax because I don't care to have my shoes extremely shiny. As for the polish, I've heard that certain shoe care products (waxes?) can deplete the shoe over time. Polish wouldn't do this, correct?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I want wax because I don't care to have my shoes extremely shiny. As for the polish, I've heard that certain shoe care products (waxes?) can deplete the shoe over time. Polish wouldn't do this, correct?
There is a whole debate on this topic in another string. Nothing conclusive though.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
There is a whole debate on this topic in another string. Nothing conclusive though.

Have a link to the topic?

vincerich

Reaction score

2. AE polish

3. AE horsehair brush

4. AE flannel cloth

You'll need the horsehair brush and the bottle of matching polish. You can use a tshirt rather than the flannel cloth. The conditioner/cleaner depends on which shoe you buy. The burnished calf, shell cordovan and suede products don't require the conditioner/cleaner. AE doesn't recommend it for those shoes. The heel dressing is a personal choice. if you want to touch up the color on the heels of your shoes, it's your business. Personally, I pass. You'll definitely need at least 1 pair of shoe trees. JAB has shoe trees on sale for 12.50 for the rest of today. I ordered 2 pair this morning for my new AE shoes.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
You'll need the horsehair brush and the bottle of matching polish. You can use a tshirt rather than the flannel cloth. The conditioner/cleaner depends on which shoe you buy. The burnished calf, shell cordovan and suede products don't require the conditioner/cleaner.

I have the McClains. I don't believe they are "burnished calf."

Btw, I notice in the AE care video on youtube, the guy uses the Dauber. Do I need this as well, or will the horsehair brush suffice?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads