• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers

__PG__

Reaction score
I wear an 'orphaned' suit coat as a jacket all the time. It's a solid linen navy jacket and looks great with jeans. I don't care if it does't have suede elbows or brightly coloured buttons....and neither does my wife. Frankly... I don't care what anyone else thinks
wink.gif

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
+3

Note how the ones who have a hardon for calling out obvious SCs as orphaned coats are either newbs likely out to prove their SF cred, or angry posters in the vein of dkzzzz.

Like most other things in life, there are those who obsess over the process/rules, and those who prefer to let the results speak for themselves.

Well put (although I only have a few posts to my name!). I think the jacket in the photo looks great. The fact the jacket is made of linen to my mind helps distinguish it from an orphaned suit jacket.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41

Well put (although I only have a few posts to my name!). I think the jacket in the photo looks great. The fact the jacket is made of linen to my mind helps distinguish it from an orphaned suit jacket.

You've never heard of, nor seen, linen suits?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of frequency encountered IRL AND seen on the interwebz, linen jackets, oh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> linen suits. So while not strictly correct if taken literally, I think that is an acceptable heuristic to employ in this instance.

neyus

Reaction score
I never really like the look although like anything there are some exceptions that work.

I've seen pinstripes in heavily textured or flannel fabrics and they seem to look the best.

I tend to like a pinstriped coat that has an additional horizontal stripe that intersects the vertical stripe. I don't know what they call it but they look the best.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus

I never really like the look although like anything there are some exceptions that work.

I've seen pinstripes in heavily textured or flannel fabrics and they seem to look the best.

I tend to like a pinstriped coat that has an additional horizontal stripe that intersects the vertical stripe. I don't know what they call it but they look the best.

That is called a windowpane.

http://cdn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...340&height=408

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus

If it has horizontal stripes then it's no longer pin-stripe, it's a check. What you're thinking of is most likely a window-pane check.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
You've never heard of, nor seen, linen suits?

Of course I have but they are not nearly as common.

In any case, I like the look.

You are entitled to your opinion - as it happens, I disliked the photos of the blazers you posted, irrespective of whether they are 'correct', they are horrible.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
It depends on how wide the stripe is, and also the fabric. It needs to err on the side of cricket or boating stripe in order to be OK.

+1

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A striped blazer should have very thick wide stripes to distinguish it from a suit jacket.
NeilBarrett_Stripe_Blazer1.jpg
276M.jpg

Originally Posted by bhall41
You are entitled to your opinion - as it happens, I disliked the photos of the blazers you posted, irrespective of whether they are 'correct', they are horrible.
+1, I don't like PSG's Scs but these ones above are truly horrendous

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A striped blazer should have very thick wide stripes to distinguish it from a suit jacket.

276M.jpg

If you are proposing this as a sensible option, you're a joke.

Alternatively, if you are trying to demonstrate that it's in fact impossible to pull off a striped sportcoat (because thin stripes look like suiting and thick stripes look HIDEOUS, e.g. both your examples), then you take your "rules" far too seriously.

jacnyr

Reaction score
I think it looks odd for one to wear what appears to be a suit jacket as sportcoat or blazer. I have captured a peek at the TV show "Castle", and he always wears a suit jacket as a sportcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads