• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$3000 budget for shirts, slacks and suits for Hong Kong

tbcthk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
Small point in the big scheme here, but if you're getting two pair of shoes, you probably can just stick with 2 belts that match those shoes.

Thanks.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tbcthk
Thank you all for the great responses.

First of all I don't see myself heading back to Hong Kong in the next two years so I would like to get my wardrobe mostly done in this trip.

I should also mention that I don't really care how I dress, as long as it is conservative, professional and does not raise any eyebrows (after all I am just 23).

I will make a trial shirt from Jantzen first.

Currently my budget breakdown is:

suits max $1000 (2) - did some research on Peter Lee, Baron Kay and they seem competent. Anyone?
pants max $100 (4) - Peter Lee's $200 is a bit too $ for me. Any suggestion? How about Jantzen?
belts max $50 (3)
shoes max $150 (2)
ties max $100 (4)

So this is more than $3000 but it's for the next two years so I am not too worried.

I can get belts, shoes and ties here. Shoes I am thinking about Johnston & Murphy. I have a melton from them and I like it a lot.

Anyone have suggestions for pants? Thanks!

I'd opt to get one pair of higher quality shoes, than 2 Johnston & Murphy. Also, why 3 belts with only 2 pairs of shoes? Where are the shirts in your breakdown?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why don't you just stick to stores here...BB semi-annual
2 half canvas 1818, @50% off will run you about $1200 with tax and alterations.
full canvas 2 @$800 each, 1600 + tax most alts free.
4 pairs of gabs at 2/199$ +tax -$400

belts there's some online shops people recommended in other threads for $50-100.

shoes you can pickup 2 pairs of allen edmonds seconds, or from nordstrom half-yearly for about 130-150 each. $300

ties can be found for ~50$ during sales, check out the FS, or nwt off ebay or something.

All this tailoring outside the country in a short span of time is a recipe for disaster...your tastes will change in fit, and style especially as a young guy. the way people dress at work especially will change your perception of how you should dress. unless you have an impossible fit otr it's probably better for you to just go OTR, plus you can gauge what you need and not need to buy so much at once. esp if otr fits your body well you can snipe sales for items you need

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
This, plus your tastes and preferences will inevitably change. That same structured, one-button, sharply-roped suit you commissioned from Chan in their finest (and most expensive) English fabric will no longer seem like a great deal when you have grown to prefer softly-tailored three-button suits.

but arguably the fit on your first Chan was good right? The stepping stone logic applies to finding your own personal style, however I would assume (or hope) that a pricier HK tailor can get the fit pretty close to perfect his first try with enough enough fittings, etc ?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your spending $100 max on each tie, and only $150 max on each pair of shoes
puzzled.gif

tbcthk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Your spending $100 max on each tie, and only $150 max on each pair of shoes
puzzled.gif

Yea I guess $50 max on ties. I can pump shoes to max $300.

dv_indian

Reaction score
If you are looking for a budget tailor of good quality try David Chow of DC Mohex Fashions([email protected]).
He might have suits in your range($400-$500 USD). I ordered a sportcoat for $280 and a shirt for $65 from him when he recently visited the US. I am happy with the price and quality. Since you will personally visit Hong Kong, you will have the benefit of multiple fittings to fine tune the fit.

tbcthk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
If you are looking for a budget tailor of good quality try David Chow of DC Mohex Fashions([email protected]).
He might have suits in your range($400-$500 USD). I ordered a sportcoat for $280 and a shirt for $65 from him when he recently visited the US. I am happy with the price and quality. Since you will personally visit Hong Kong, you will have the benefit of multiple fittings to fine tune the fit.

Thanks. Anyone knows where to get slacks???

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
but arguably the fit on your first Chan was good right? The stepping stone logic applies to finding your own personal style, however I would assume (or hope) that a pricier HK tailor can get the fit pretty close to perfect his first try with enough enough fittings, etc ?
The fit was respectable, but there are always things such as stylistic or fabric choices that you would do differently if you look back on it 3-5 years down the road.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tbcthk
Thank you all for the great responses.

First of all I don't see myself heading back to Hong Kong in the next two years so I would like to get my wardrobe mostly done in this trip.

I should also mention that I don't really care how I dress, as long as it is conservative, professional and does not raise any eyebrows (after all I am just 23).

I have to say that dropping $3k on low to mid-range HK tailors in one fell swoop will ensure that you attain precisely that to which you aspire. I don't mean to be mean-spirited, but I wish someone had told me that before I bought a bunch of stuff there.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Hm, I have found the shirts to be more like 50% more expensive.

I did get to Peter somewhat after you, and when he was a bit more known around these parts, so you may well be paying less for shirts than I am, but Jantzens are about $45 and PLs are more like $70.

I find Peter's prices can vary greatly depending on fabric. I just try and choose the less expensive ones!

tbcthk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I have to say that dropping $3k on low to mid-range HK tailors in one fell swoop will ensure that you attain precisely that to which you aspire. I don't mean to be mean-spirited, but I wish someone had told me that before I bought a bunch of stuff there.

I should add that I am from Hong Kong, so Cantonese is my primary language. Maybe the tailors will better understand what I want?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads