• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Justin, you defy the odds. You're slim like me, but yet you're able to pocket carry a J-frame in warm weather clothing. When I attempt the same thing, it seems as if I have a strangely formed erection.

Thanks, SN
smile.gif

The SC Storm would make a good IWB gun, but it's a little thick for pocket carry IMO. Have you considered the Kahr CW-9? The build quality is a little less, but it's slimmer and more compact.

I was actually thinking (based only on photos) it looks like it might be too wide in the frame and too stubby a grip to ride nicely IWB - though I see CrossBreed do make a holster for it. But if I'm going to IWB, I'm quite happy with my Beretta/Browning 380 (which is not plastic).

P.S. Are you sure you're willing to let go of the J-frame? I personally believe every fan should have atleast one wheelgun in their collection.

You know, I got it nearly 3 years ago, carried and loved in most of that time. A 12oz laser-guided .357 magnum sounds pretty cool on paper and is easy to pocket carry (when you are used to the deformed penis look), but I'm about ready to concede that I might be better-off with a lesser powered, higher capacity pistol to fill the niche below the .45 and .380. Plus my new workplace is strictly 30.06 so my needs are changing. But I do have about $1.5K invested in it, so won't rush to trade it!

If I can ever get out to a local range with you I hope they have a Storm SC to rent for me.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
PSA: The Civilian Marksmanship Program has .30-06 M2 armor piercing ammunition in stock for $60 per 192rd can (on stripper clips).

Note that it is highly likely that this ammo is corrosive. However, seeing as the good old days of armor piercing M2 Talon reman ammo selling for $5/20 is over, this is a screaming deal so long as you don't mind cleaning your M1 Garand or M1903 Springfield immediately after shooting with warm soapy water.

This is the second release of M2 AP from the CMP since May; the first batch sold out in less than two days.

Edit: never mind, it's all sold out. It went on sale around 0700 Eastern, sold out by 1030 Eastern. Wow.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I note that a lot of you who post on here are quite gun-savvy. In many cases you know more about the newer stuff than I do, thanks to California's irrational and punitive gun laws.

As some of you are doubtless aware, I am the editor of Gun World magazine, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. I am planning to retire in the near future. I should have retired tomorrow except that the guy they had hired to replace me died of a heart attack while eating a pizza at Shakey's on Memorial Day. We have been having trouble finding other good candidates to replace me.

The foremost criteria for the job would be a good, deep technical knowledge of firearms coupled with a reasonable degree of literary ability. Prior editorial and publishing experience would be a big plus. Although we would not rule out an off-site editor, being based in Southern California and being able to come into our Anaheim editorial offices would be another strong plus.

If you are interested in the job, please e-mail a copy of your resume and a cover letter to my supervisor, Doug Jeffrey, at [email protected]. You can PM me with any additional questions you may have.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy crap, that's rough. Good luck with your search, Jan.

(And I hate to sound inappropriate, but I miss Shakey's pizza so much....)

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The SC Storm would make a good IWB gun, but it's a little thick for pocket carry IMO. Have you considered the Kahr CW-9? The build quality is a little less, but it's slimmer and more compact. P.S. Are you sure you're willing to let go of the J-frame? I personally believe every fan should have atleast one wheelgun in their collection.
For slim, I like the new Ruger SR9C, but the frame-mounted down-to-shoot safety is a deal breaker for me. The Taurus slim looks nice, but I am not a fan of the brand. I just listed my deformed penis on Gun Broker with a pretty high start price, so I'm not optimistic on a fast sale. I like the little bugger a lot, but don't want to own too many carry pistols - and the 2 or 3 that I do own and carry I want to be as interchangeable and cross-trainable in use as possible, if that makes sense. PS: Cheaper than Dirt is selling Remington, Golden Saber .45 Auto+P, JHP, 185 Grain, 25 Round Boxes for $16.19. Seems like a good deal!

twoism

Reaction score
Hopefully going to be getting my first few guns this summer... I've never handled or shot a firearm before, but hunting is something I'd like to get into. Kinda tough when you don't know anyone with guns, or anyone who hunts, heh. Oh well.

I'm probably going to start with a Remington 870 and a Ruger 10/22 for dicking around at the range, before I buy a hunting rifle. Thoughts on these guns?

I also have my eye on the Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun. Looks like a fun gun!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 870 and 10/22 are great platforms for building on - you just can't go wrong with either.

I'm partial to the old Winchester 94 leverguns, but the Marlin gets great reviews. Looks like a goog pig killer.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
For slim, I like the new Ruger SR9C, but the frame-mounted down-to-shoot safety is a deal breaker for me. The Taurus slim looks nice, but I am not a fan of the brand.

Trust me, I know where you're coming from. I'm a little skeptical about the brand as well, but I've been hearing good things about their newer guns, and the Slim looks like a pretty convincing piece. The strangest part, is that the fit and finish actually looks superior to the Kahr CW40 I once owned.

Originally Posted by JustinW
PS: Cheaper than Dirt is selling Remington, Golden Saber .45 Auto+P, JHP, 185 Grain, 25 Round Boxes for $16.19. Seems like a good deal!

lol....I got the same email today. I'm strongly considering it!

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by twoism
I'm probably going to start with a Remington 870 and a Ruger 10/22 for dicking around at the range, before I buy a hunting rifle. Thoughts on these guns?

On the Ruger 10/22, you may want to buy a used one for cheap. Most 10/22 owners get the upgrade bug very quickly. You end up throwing out everything except the receiver.
laugh.gif
So you may as well pay less for your "base" by purchasing used.

The only original parts on my 10/22 are the receiver, bolt and trigger group. Everything else is aftermarket. It's a disease; I've got $700+ into a gun that cost me $130 new!
facepalm.gif

ms244

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I note that a lot of you who post on here are quite gun-savvy. In many cases you know more about the newer stuff than I do, thanks to California's irrational and punitive gun laws.

As some of you are doubtless aware, I am the editor of Gun World magazine, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. I am planning to retire in the near future. I should have retired tomorrow except that the guy they had hired to replace me died of a heart attack while eating a pizza at Shakey's on Memorial Day. We have been having trouble finding other good candidates to replace me.

The foremost criteria for the job would be a good, deep technical knowledge of firearms coupled with a reasonable degree of literary ability. Prior editorial and publishing experience would be a big plus. Although we would not rule out an off-site editor, being based in Southern California and being able to come into our Anaheim editorial offices would be another strong plus.

If you are interested in the job, please e-mail a copy of your resume and a cover letter to my supervisor, Doug Jeffrey, at [email protected]. You can PM me with any additional questions you may have.

Would this job be like Soldier of Fortune in the 1980s where you get to travel to exotic locales/shitholes and try out the local merchandise?

Think Anthony Bordain of firearms....

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Would this job be like Soldier of Fortune in the 1980s where you get to travel to exotic locales/shitholes and try out the local merchandise?

Think Anthony Bordain of firearms....

No, it would not. You might be invited to visit gun manufacturers' plants or go on the occasional "scamfari" hunting trip--although I somehow never really got on the latter bandwagon.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
On the Ruger 10/22, you may want to buy a used one for cheap. Most 10/22 owners get the upgrade bug very quickly. You end up throwing out everything except the receiver.
laugh.gif
So you may as well pay less for your "base" by purchasing used. The only original parts on my 10/22 are the receiver, bolt and trigger group. Everything else is aftermarket. It's a disease; I've got $700+ into a gun that cost me $130 new!
facepalm.gif

Oy. So true. Have two now, one in .22LR (with the barrel threaded for a suppressor), and one in .17 HM2. The .22, especially, is really, really sweet. But the best of all possible upgrades that I did was the Volquartsen trigger -- I think you should reduce the count of original parts on your gun a little more, Ace. ~ H

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ I have been thinking about a Skeeter (Rimfire Technologies) or KIDD trigger group for my 10/22. I would love to have a VQ but those things are extremely expensive. I have a VQ rail and mag release on my Ruger; the combined cost of those two items was about 50% of my stock rifle.
laugh.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
^^ I have been thinking about a Skeeter (Rimfire Technologies) or KIDD trigger group for my 10/22. I would love to have a VQ but those things are extremely expensive. I have a VQ rail and mag release on my Ruger; the combined cost of those two items was about 50% of my stock rifle.
laugh.gif

So true. VQ stuff is expensive. Midway has a sale on them every once in a while, that's when I jumped. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads