• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I should never have entered Esquire's BDRM contest.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
This is what happens when you look 16 but dress like you're 60. Deal with it brah.
Listen to Moo. He knows how to handle this sort of thing. When someone gives him a hard time about his ostrich shoes or his deerskin murse, he just pops them with ********-and-balls signet ring.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The original post should have been an article updating Tweed in the City.

- B

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Foo, You have my deepest respect. You got on TV and showed 'em all. As for your current situation, they'll never recognize you in these...
nose-moustache-glasses.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
From one NYC associate to another--I think a major part of your problem is your location, and that it would be just about as bad if your colleagues knew that you regularly posted on this forum, but you'd never entered that contest. Heck I get annoyed just overhearing some of my colleagues talk about style, much less having to discuss a pocket square with them.

You know that almost every male white collar professional in this city who cares what he looks like also thinks he's a style expert, but primarily dresses according to NY nightlife trends, what his other douchey colleagues told him was currently cool, and what his girlfriend/female friends think is "hot." Clothing here is almost entirely either a) status driven, or b) bargain driven. I know very few young professionals who don't either shop at some store they regard as an upgrade, like Pink, or think they're smarter than everyone for using a bargain traveling hong kong tailor that's "a lot better than those other ones." They're really into custom tailoring, even though the most they could probably tell you about the fabric they selected is whether it's a super 120s, and the color, and they only got measured once so the fit looks about the same as tailored off the rack. "But check out this awesome bright red lining!" Peacocking is a major element of this style. Ultra-shiney, plush ties with windsor knots are another part of this--your unlined ties with a FIH will seem really strange to guys who think the bigger knot the better. When one's primary motive in dressing to display their income, style is a pretty empty term.

Single young professionals suddenly earning six figures, in a city designed to take their money by constantly making them feel outdated and not desirable enough, are never going to understand your style/the aesthetic prevalent on the SF or promoted by blogs like ASW.

Living in Manhattan, you don't stand a chance at sanity if your colleagues your age are trying to talk to you about style. Since everything's a dickswinging contest here to the extreme, in the context of style there's just no way out of this one aside from a location or profession change.

I think this about covers it. Just add into the mix the projected ostentation that you're better dressed than everyone else.

Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
A little ironic coming from anyone who posts frequently here. Just saying.

Not at all. I come here precisely because I don't want to talk to people about clothes in real life.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Stop hanging out with old and uncool people.

I'm not sure cool sub-28-year-olds would want anything to do with me.

Originally Posted by gdl203
That's one thing they got right, no?

No, because my spectacles are spectacular.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
This is what happens when you look 16 but dress like you're 60. Deal with it brah.

How do you deal with . . . oh forget it.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The original post should have been an article updating Tweed in the City.

This is Tweed in the City.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- I had 15 minutes of national fame for something a couple of years ago. It *amazed* me how differently I was treated for awhile by people I had known for years. It will pass after a bit, don't worry.

- In the meantime, realize that every comment/question is a compliment. Even the guys who are trying to say "I have Kiton" or whatever. They are wanting validation from you that they have something good. You are the acknowledged expert. So their comments are compliments and signs of your achievement. You can use that prestige to your advantage if you wish.

I assume jokes about the "BDSM" contest have already been made?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So was this Dan getting his K.Cole prize last year? Interesting.
I'd be curious to see the UK Winners' shopping sprees.

Poor guy. Having to try on all that crap with that 'style expert' giving him advice. Ug. I think the best part was when he had him switch out his watch for that ****** KC watch. That cotton/poly sport coat was just awful.

Originally Posted by fredfred
I assume jokes about the "BDSM" contest have already been made?

First time I saw it I thought it was Esquire Bedroom. I was like, that's kind of odd with pictures of dudes. HAH

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Every guy asks me for what I think about their clothes, but in a disingenuous, bragging manner, as if to make sure I know I didn't deserve to be a finalist because his jacket is Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL.

I always politely say "Very nice. I like it."
They follow-up with: "Do you know where I got it?"
"Huh, I dunno."
"It's a Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL."
"Oh, cool. Good stuff."
"What designer is yours?"
"Oh, I had a tailor make it."
"Oh . . . well, check out Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL. I got a gay friend who works at Bergdorf/Saks/Bloomingdales who says it's the absolute best."

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
stop hanging out with lawyer types

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mafoofan;3319005 said:
Suddenly everyone's a critic and a fashion editor. QUOTE]

A little ironic coming from anyone who posts frequently here. Just saying.

I

Not at all. I come here precisely because I don't want to talk to people about clothes in real life.

What rot, Foo. You hold yourself out as an authority and you can't handle it when you get called on it. You picked the personna and you created the allusion you had knowledge and now your unhappy you can't control where the beast goes. Silliness and very immature behavior to say the least. Next time be sure to tell them that your Saturday personality is very differrent than the online personna you created. Something like, I am not an expert on clothing but online I . . . .

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Listen to Moo. He knows how to handle this sort of thing.

When someone gives him a hard time about his ostrich shoes or his deerskin murse, he just pops them with ********-and-balls signet ring.

**** yes.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever since I was a finalist and appeared on the Today show, I can't escape discussing my clothes with acquaintances and friends now eye me up and down every time I see them.

Now they know how we feel.

Even worse, they always look disappointed and skeptical.

We know that look.

I wore a blue OCBD under a navy cashmere v-neck jumper and grey trousers with longwings to a holiday party

ich_dien uses that term instead of sweater; he's English, what's your excuse?

Of course, they also ask for advice, which I try not to give. But then push comes to shove, and I make a recommendation. At least a dozen male friends have asked me what kind of shirts I like to wear casually. When I tell them I like Brooks Brothers OCBDs (and explain what those are), they grimace and point out in a pitying tone that they've already upgraded to Pink or Tyrwhitt. I'm sick of explaining what my "hankie" is for and why it doesn't match my tie. Everyone has asked me at least once where to buy a "cool pinstriped blazer" to wear with jeans.

Please. You love that ****. Tell them to submit their questions here.

Suddenly everyone's a critic and a fashion editor.

Instead of only you?

I don't like talking to people anymore because they can only seem to talk about what I'm wearing.

I doubt that, but on the off chance that it's true: you do love talking about what you're wearing. Btw, the conversation around here lately hasn't been about what you're wearing simply because you haven't started one of these damn attention whoring threads in a while.

Let this be a lesson to others.

Fvck. Here we go again.
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
is this like when those people go on reality shows, allow camera's into their homes and then complain about the attention
confused.gif

If you did not want to be looked at as a mannequin, you probably should not have enterered a national contest where the final would be televised on national TV. Why anyone would want to put themselves out in the public eye like that, when their career/job has nothing to do with fashion, it boggles my mind.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
is this like when those people go on reality shows, allow camera's into their homes and then complain about the attention
confused.gif

If you did not want to be looked at as a mannequin, you probably should not have enterered a national contest where the final would be televised on national TV. Why anyone would want to put themselves out in the public eye like that, when their career/job has nothing to do with fashion, it boggles my mind.

Are you saying that he should enter again next year?

confused.gif

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads