• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynch_king

Reaction score
hit 3 thrift stores
Best day thrifting today:

YSl dress shirt
Orphnaed zegna suit coat
Gucci belt (suprisngly not gaudy, black /brown reversable with gucci acide etch on keeper)

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a recent Armani tie for $2 (not narrow but not super wide). Also found a BB button down in my size for $7. More than I like to pay, but it was in excellent condition (made in US of Italian woven fabric).

ArthurVandalay

Reaction score
Found two pairs of Florsheim Longwings today, one is shell...in size 8.5D.
shoes%20002.JPG
Also snagged one each of BB 346 and BB Makers ties. Had to leave behind a couple of handsome Brooks ties due to nasty stains. Will that stain removal technique that's been posted on the forums work on silk ties?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay

shoes%20002.JPG

Also snagged one each of BB 346 and BB Makers ties. Had to leave behind a couple of handsome Brooks ties due to nasty stains.

Will that stain removal technique that's been posted on the forums work on silk ties?

How much did you pay for the shoes?

CasmirRadon

Reaction score

Beautiful. I'd be rushing to buy these off you if they were 9.5's

lynch_king

Reaction score
Would you say Florsheim is up with AE, C&J or alden? in that area of quality/build or would it be lower?

Also i know what you mean those stains on the ties, there is someone out here spilling alot of **** on his dior ties then donates them

EBTX66

Reaction score
At lunch I snagged a pair of RLPL 5 pocket chinos for $6.99. I also scored a pair of RLPL linen dress trousers in off-white for $2.99. They're a beautiful, heavy-weight linen but the previous owner got rid of them because there are some faint stain spots on the lower leg. I figured at that price I'd see if I can get them out and if not they'd make a nice pair of dressy shorts. However, I cut the crap out of my finger on the staples holding the pricetag on and didn't notice that I bled a few drops on the hem and a beltloop. Any idea if the vinegar/Oxyclean process works on blood (and linen) and, if not, any ideas?

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I hit a few places today and hit on some terrific stuff! Some of this is to be flipped, please let me know if interested. The top find is an Oxxford navy blazer (not an orphan; it's a Serge Blazer on the tag 46L) with beautiful old gold buttons. Terrific shape but a little wrinkled as you can see.
ae1emr.jpg
2 Norman Hiilton blazers; almost showroom condition. A blue one identical to the one I found a couple of weeks ago only smaller (tagged 42R but fits like a 40R) and a 40R wheat/tan tweed.
24enbef.jpg
xgbiwn.jpg
Tod's driving mocs in brown 9.5; I may keep these they run a tad big
10zwu3b.jpg
Ferragamo black oxfords size 11M/D;probably not a favorite here but barely worn at all just terrific shape
ilblv5.jpg
also a few chinos in my size and a few Brooks Brothers oxfords. Happy day

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Any idea if the vinegar/Oxyclean process works on blood (and linen) and, if not, any ideas?

I skinned my knee while wearing a pair of silk/wool pants a couple weeks ago and my dry cleaner got the stain out no problem. I imagine they could do the same for linen.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
I skinned my knee while wearing a pair of silk/wool pants a couple weeks ago and my dry cleaner got the stain out no problem. I imagine they could do the same for linen.

Thanks, I guess it won't hurt to give them the first crack at it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
Would you say Florsheim is up with AE, C&J or alden? in that area of quality/build or would it be lower?

I would call the vintage ones about alden level. Quality was their big thing. The modern ones are around J&M quality though. Sad, really.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shoes%20002.JPG

If 8.5 is not your size.....

Temujin

Reaction score
Yesterday I found a Chaps RL suit in my size. I know it is not the quality of some of the other stuff that is mentioned here, but it is a mocha/tan color with a mini-herringbone pattern in the material (not a two tone herringbone). The herringbone "arrows" are less than a quarter inch wide. I had to hunt the pants down of course.

Also found a pair of vintage FL Longwings in 10 A (ice skater?). pair of vintge Wright burgundy wing tips in 10.5. The coolest part of the trip was when the dude a row over yelps out: "I just foung $20 in the pocket!!!" and then he starts going through all the pants pockets.

Flaneur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
At lunch I snagged a pair of RLPL 5 pocket chinos for $6.99. I also scored a pair of RLPL linen dress trousers in off-white for $2.99. They're a beautiful, heavy-weight linen but the previous owner got rid of them because there are some faint stain spots on the lower leg. I figured at that price I'd see if I can get them out and if not they'd make a nice pair of dressy shorts. However, I cut the crap out of my finger on the staples holding the pricetag on and didn't notice that I bled a few drops on the hem and a beltloop. Any idea if the vinegar/Oxyclean process works on blood (and linen) and, if not, any ideas?
Hydrogen Peroxide works like a charm on bloodstains. You can dilute it from full strength if you're worried about color fade. A little dab on a cotton ball'll do ya!

rayxlui

Reaction score
Saw a pair of Tom James shoes. Didn't know they made shoes.

Also saw two recent Oxxfords, no surprise, they were orphaned and two Fendi briefs, shame they were ripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads