• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
How is that, Douglas?
It's starting to get a little chippy. I sense a de-rail may be coming.

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Yeah, I was about to talk about the good old days of drives in the 280-330 range (a handful at best), until I remember what it was like to get really cozy with the OB markers, and sacrificing a few balls to traffic, and finally I remembered that there's a reason I leave my woods at the house.

wouldn't it make more sense to learn how to hit them straight rather than leaving them at home? Unless you hit a 3 iron 250 dead straight, woods are sort of necessary. If you can't hit a fairway wood straight 80%+ of the time, you have some major swing issues.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 at iammatt

lol8[1].gif
@hitting the ball into traffic, I once drove a ball through the windshield of a parked car.. (and on several clubhouse terraces, a boat and into a prison (ok, the last one I did deliberately when I was 16))

FWIW, I used to be a professional and taught for some years. If someone wants to, post your swing and I'll analyse.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
wouldn't it make more sense to learn how to hit them straight rather than leaving them at home? Unless you hit a 3 iron 250 dead straight, woods are sort of necessary. If you can't hit a fairway wood straight 80%+ of the time, you have some major swing issues.

I assume you mean that 80% straight is straight with a margin of ??? on both sides? I know I cant hit my 3 wood of the deck straight in those percentages. Even if I found one that I like...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Well, I don't practice nearly as much as I ought to, and irons just came more naturally to me than woods ever did. For every 280+ I would bang out into the fairway there were a LOT more that went sideways. Since I don't really go for frustration, I started leaving them home and thinking my way around a bit more.

To me, the key to staying at least respectable is that I manage myself between my ears and keep from getting upset or disinterested. So I play the clubs I know well and take what I can get. And I smile more that way, too.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
FWIW, I used to be a professional and taught for some years. If someone wants to, post your swing and I'll analyse.

Next time I go I'll have a video taken for you to analyze. I have one but it's from a year or two back and I've changed quite a bit since then. I'm not like these stallions here as I drive about 250 yards on average with 270-280 if I really get into one. I know there's probably a **** ton I'm doing wrong that I just don't know about.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

As to woods being necessary, I suppose they are if you're shooting for par when you go out. I, however, am realistic about my limitations.

That said, FWIW, let's say I poke my 2-iron out there around 200 - 210 or so on a good stroke. On a 400-yard par-four that leaves me, say 190 out. From 190 I can either play a 4-iron if there's no trouble around the front of the green, or go 8-iron and half-wedge if I have to carry something. Or I go 5-iron and bump onto the green. I have options at that point.

blofeld

Reaction score
I assume you mean that 80% straight is straight with a margin of ??? on both sides? I know I cant hit my 3 wood of the deck straight in those percentages. Even if I found one that I like...

straight like in the fairway, off the tee. like for instance, this past saturday, I hit 10 of the 12 fairways I used by 4 wood to tee off on. it's a pretty valuable club that I personally could not play without.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Well, I don't practice nearly as much as I ought to, and irons just came more naturally to me than woods ever did. For every 280+ I would bang out into the fairway there were a LOT more that went sideways. Since I don't really go for frustration, I started leaving them home and thinking my way around a bit more.

To me, the key to staying at least respectable is that I manage myself between my ears and keep from getting upset or disinterested. So I play the clubs I know well and take what I can get. And I smile more that way, too.

I agree about thinking. I don't hit driver very often either, mostly because I don't need to because i can hit my fairway metal 240-250 off the tee. the risk / reward for the driver, i agree, makes it unnecessary especially when playing 6000-6500 yard courses.

but you should seriously consider a 5 wood. swing it like a 5-iron, which apparently you hit quite well, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the results...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most public courses these days rarely require you to use fairway woods anyways. It's one of my peeves about all the crappy courses out there, but there it is. Rarely do I even need a long iron. They're set up for even the crappiest of drivers to have less than 150 to go for their 2nd shots.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1 at iammatt

lol8[1].gif
@hitting the ball into traffic, I once drove a ball through the windshield of a parked car.. (and on several clubhouse terraces, a boat and into a prison (ok, the last one I did deliberately when I was 16))

OK, this is kind of on topic for distance. Here are two pics of me halfway down. One has too much angle (I think) which certainly helped with distance, but was hell as far as control. Also too much lateral slide below etc. The other is what I am working toward. Average distance is probably better through the bag because contact is waaaaaaaaay more solid.
halfway2.jpg
halfway.jpg
Anyway, your thoughts, and your thoughts as to the general keys to distance? I'm not concerned with mine, but internet distances being a bit like internet girlfriends, describing the mechanics might help somebody.

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Most public courses these days rarely require you to use fairway woods anyways. It's one of my peeves about all the crappy courses out there, but there it is. Rarely do I even need a long iron. They're set up for even the crappiest of drivers to have less than 150 to go for their 2nd shots.

exactly, which is why you need one to leave yourself comfortable yardages off the tee. off the deck, I use mine maybe 1-2 times a round.

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Also too much lateral slide below etc.

not a teacher, and think you know this, but turning rather than swaying will help you tremendously with both distance and accuracy.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
straight like in the fairway, off the tee. like for instance, this past saturday, I hit 10 of the 12 fairways I used by 4 wood to tee off on. it's a pretty valuable club that I personally could not play without.

Ah, You meant a consistent shot, not consistently straight, my bad... That 4 wood sounds like a real friend btw
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not a teacher, and think you know this, but turning rather than swaying will help you tremendously with both distance and accuracy.
Neither of those even resembles a sway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads