• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It's rare to find the exact shoe you want, in the size you need, at the time you wish to purchase.

Need it in a nonstandard size/width? Forget ever finding it on the shelf.

I'd purchase any Whiskey shell Alden in size 7D (Barrie/Van last) or 7.5D (Hampton). The only shoe I know about, which may or may not still be available, in either of these sizes is the LSBH special make up and that's only available in store. I'd be happy to hear about any other shoes currently for sale.

Regards,
Joe

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Akeem
I stopped by the Alden NYC store last week. They had some whiskey longwings in smaller sizes, but in E widths if anyone is looking. Tried on a 7.5E myself, but I resisted the temptation. Maybe next year.

Is whiskey shell really that rare? The store had so many models in whiskey and theshoemart also has many pairs available.

I do not think it is as rare as people say. If you wait you can get the shoe you want if it is one of the standards. There just is a lot of hype to me. I think Ravello is much more rare but the same can be said for it as well.

#6 shell is rarer than both and as far as I know Alden is not doing anything in #6 now.

Originally Posted by Trapp
Whiskey seems to go through phases of rarity. Sometimes it's very difficult to find, other times it seems to be readily available online in lots of stores. Online, they tend to sell out fast.

It's generally hard to find whiskey in a model / size you want, at the exact time that you want it. Usually requires some research and patience.

Yes. But in the long run it is better to get the exact shoe you want than to settle for something close.
Originally Posted by slappy
So after talking with Alden they want to only deal with brick and mortar stores now. Actually Im glad I called them, they are pretty cool people. They explained to me why they are saying no and it sounded like in the past they might have said yes. They said their online presence is getting too strong as it is so I guess they are worried about overexposure on the internet and cheapening their presence like (Allen Edmonds presumably).
A lot of manufacturers want a brick and mortar presence.

Originally Posted by Joenobody0
^ It's rare to find the exact shoe you want, in the size you need, at the time you wish to purchase.

Need it in a nonstandard size/width? Forget ever finding it on the shelf.

I'd purchase any Whiskey shell Alden in size 7D (Barrie/Van last) or 7.5D (Hampton). The only shoe I know about, which may or may not still be available, in either of these sizes is the LSBH special make up and that's only available in store. I'd be happy to hear about any other shoes currently for sale.

Regards,
Joe

Yes, if you are a non-standard size it seems impossible to get off the shelf. You have to get in on pre-prders but the pre-orders for Ravello and Whickey seem to never be announced. For your size I would be tempted to work with Tassels Hong Kong.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White nubuck PTB's. These are seconds but I cannot see the flaw. They seem to be better made and nicer overall than my white suede saddle shoes.

whitenubuckptb.jpg

whitenubuckptb2.jpg

Whiskey Shell Long Wings. These are also seconds I ordered last week from The Shoe Mart:

whiskeylwb.jpg

whiskeylwb3.jpg

whiskeylwb2.jpg

whiskeylwb1.jpg

I see no problem with them and they do not look like they are seconds. They look like a return or a floor model. The finish seems to be the best of any of my Alden's though the Whiskey seems a tad darker than my other Whiskey. But they are definitely lighter than my Ravello. I love the commando soles. I plan on wearing the hell out of these this summer.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice. the seconds from shoemart are a fantastic deal. i had a couple pairs of them and couldn't see any flaws either. i've been waiting ages for some #8 longwings to pop up but no dice so far.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
I have these with double leather soles love them. Very nice!
I think the double leather soul is MUCH more dressy but most of my shoes have these and I am starting to get some serious sole wear. So I wanted to try these out. I hope when I wear them that I like them.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
nice. the seconds from shoemart are a fantastic deal. i had a couple pairs of them and couldn't see any flaws either. i've been waiting ages for some #8 longwings to pop up but no dice so far.
I have found flaws with seconds. I have the snuff suede boots with the crepe sole and found some stitching problems on one shoe. But I still am very happy I have them. I am more hesitant to get some staples in seconds. I did see a pair of the shell #8 seconds in my size as well. It is the one shoe I want to get. But I have a great pair of calf which is a similar color so I can pass on them for a while.

Good luck.
smile.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

slappy

Reaction score
I love those white bucks but I personally couldn't handle not ******* them up immediately.

As for the shoemart seconds, the most recent seconds email contained an Indy boot in cigar shell for $389, size 11D. Also a ravello shell boot on the aberdeen last for $389. Actually Im not sure the cigar was an Indy looking boot as that was the one picture that didnt load; I never followed up on it. It was on the trubalance last however and was labeled FD-40504H.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interlockingny has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
White nubuck PTB's. These are seconds but I cannot see the flaw. They seem to be better made and nicer overall than my white suede saddle shoes.

whitenubuckptb.jpg

whitenubuckptb2.jpg

Whiskey Shell Long Wings. These are also seconds I ordered last week from The Shoe Mart:

whiskeylwb.jpg

whiskeylwb3.jpg

whiskeylwb2.jpg

whiskeylwb1.jpg

I see no problem with them and they do not look like they are seconds. They look like a return or a floor model. The finish seems to be the best of any of my Alden's though the Whiskey seems a tad darker than my other Whiskey. But they are definitely lighter than my Ravello. I love the commando soles. I plan on wearing the hell out of these this summer.

you have done very well. enjoy wearing

YoungPunch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
So after talking with Alden they want to only deal with brick and mortar stores now. Actually Im glad I called them, they are pretty cool people. They explained to me why they are saying no and it sounded like in the past they might have said yes. They said their online presence is getting too strong as it is so I guess they are worried about overexposure on the internet and cheapening their presence like (Allen Edmonds presumably).

Dude, its so cool you actually called Alden with this B.S. fake online store idea! You were so close to scoring a wholesale account with them! Bummer it didn't work out though...BTW, what's your EIN?

slappy

Reaction score
I know these aren't Aldens but I thought people might be interested. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= Wingtips on sale, and personally I think the last is better looking than the last on the Aldens. Though because these are sleeker they look a bit more formal, so I guess that could also be a downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads