• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graduating College - Credit Requirements

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Anyone know how many credits most schools require you to have earned from their school to earn a bachelor's degree there?

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enjoiii
My school is 120 for a bachelors.

Yes, but how many do they require that you earned at their institution? That is to say, not transfer credits, AP credits, etc.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
120 credits.

Yes I understand you need 120 credits to receive a degree. But how many of them, in general, need to be from the institution from which you will be receiving the degree?

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
Yes I understand you need 120 credits to receive a degree. But how many of them, in general, need to be from the institution from which you will be receiving the degree?
You need 120 credits, and fullfill the requirements for a program they offer. All or none can be from that institution. It all depends on what they let you get away with as a transfer credit. There isn't a set limit like "atleast 20% of courses must be from said institution". You just have to complete a program, with or without transfer credits.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
You need 120 credits, and fullfill the requirements for a program they offer. All or none can be from that institution. It all depends on what they let you get away with as a transfer credit. There isn't a set limit like "atleast 20% of courses must be from said institution". You just have to complete a program, with or without transfer credits.

Right, but every school requires that a certain amount of credits come from their institution. I'm curious what the most common number is.

imschatz

Reaction score
Right, but every school requires that a certain amount of credits come from their institution. I'm curious what the most common number is.
Don't think the schools in my area have any limits. They just won't give you any transfer credit beyond the intro level.

edit: Well that's all a lie .. 50% credits from my undergrad school. Called "A Residency requirement" .. learn something new every day. Thought after 6 years of undergrad I had learned it all.

Man of Wealth and Taste

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Don't think the schools in my area have any limits. They just won't give you any transfer credit beyond the intro level.

edit: Well that's all a lie .. 50% credits from my undergrad school. Called "A Residency requirement" .. learn something new every day. Thought after 6 years of undergrad I had learned it all.

That's common at a lot of schools. It's to prevent people from taking 117 credit hours at Ohio state, then transferring into harvard for a semester to get the Veritas diploma.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man of Wealth and Taste
That's common at a lot of schools. It's to prevent people from taking 117 credit hours at Ohio state, then transferring into harvard for a semester to get the Veritas diploma.
Not sure why Harvard would accept any transfer credits from Ohio State .. but the other way makes some sense. Harvard student completes their program, but doesn't have the GPA to graduate. Then transfer's the credits to a different school to graduate.

Still .. not sure why the second school would have an issue though. They get an additional Alum without having to educate them. This is assuming the student is qualified to graduate.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the result is a bunch of ****-tards graduate from good schools due to transfers, and lower the reputation of the graduation school.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The diploma/degree says "we conferred X knowledge upon this person"

that's not exactly true if you didn't take most of your classes there.

My school didn't directly say you must have so many of your classes from our school...but good luck getting any transfer credit for all but the most basic courses.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It doesn't really matter what the most common number is. Call the school you want to transfer to.

enjoiii

Reaction score
My school you can transfer a maximum of 60 credits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads