• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^It is suprising how many golfers are trying to play clubs that simply don't fit.
Good catch on realizing your grips were too small. I think you'll be surprised at how much smoother your swing is when you're not grinding the clubs into your hands.

I see people using way too much hand in their grips, too; they've got their clubs way too high in their hands. Should be down in the fingers, especially your bottom hand.

I can hardly wait to read your recount of your first time on the links, pio. Just remember to have fun.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ yes. a recap of anyones first time out is always amusing. it rarely goes as planned. hopefully, it doesn't get the best of pio and he swears it off all together.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
^^ yes. a recap of anyones first time out is always amusing. it rarely goes as planned. hopefully, it doesn't get the best of pio and he swears it off all together.

Lol, I am determined to progress to the point where my game is not an embarassment. Too much business gets done on the golf course not to.

Picking up re-gripped clubs tonight or tomorrow and am 100% hitting the nearby exec course for nine holes this weekend.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
That is a great score, bedeuce. One day, one day...in the distant future.
laugh.gif

Yes, our pro has been hammering us with the concept that usual par is 72 and the goal is to "two putt," meaning 50% of your strokes are putts if you're a scratch player. Makes you think.

I find the difference between my good days and bad days is my chipping. Those stupid finess shots inside 100 yards drive me nuts sometimes. Some days I'll hit anything within 10 feet. Other's I'm lucky to hit the green from 10 yards out. If you aren't taking your first putt from 30 feet out, making a 2 putt is easy.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed. i usually am not good off the tee with my driver. i can hit it far but i don't hit fairways on a regular basis, but it's not so bad where i need to punch it out with a 2 iron. 150 yards and in is where low scores are born. the last few times i've golfed, i've been so dialed in right at the 140-150 yardage mark that i've been hitting irons off the tee just to get me to 140-150 yards.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Picked up the clubs with the new and larger grips. What a difference. Took a dozen practice swings in the cage at the golf shop. A great, solid, "thwack" each time without my right hand gripping too tightly. Can't wait to hit the links Saturday.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good to hear pio. that will help you a lot.

Aren't you from MI originally. You should come back and take a trip to northern MI one of these days. GREAT courses here.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Played about 12 holes yesterday. Man, I stunk. I could hit the driver, couldn't hit anything else. Short game was gone, gone, gone. I skipped putting practice (trying to get out before dark) and my first few holes were sheer misery. One hole encapsulated my day:

Short par-4, blind approach, uphill, about 300 yards to the front. Killed my drive (for me, anyways) to about 20 yards shy of the green, perfect angle, neither bunker in my way. Double bogey.

Managed to straighten it out near the end, with a couple of pars and a birdie, but with all the doubles and triples early, I obviously didn't score very well.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
good to hear pio. that will help you a lot.

Aren't you from MI originally. You should come back and take a trip to northern MI one of these days. GREAT courses here.

I've seen some of them, just was not a golfer at the time. You're correct, some stunning landscapes. In fact, Mrs. Piob and I are looking forward to 3-4 years down the road, when we're hopefully proficient enough not to embarass ourselves and doing some golfing vacations. Nice resorts in beautiful locations ftw.

Originally Posted by Douglas
Killed my drive (for me, anyways) to about 20 yards shy of the green, perfect angle, neither bunker in my way. Double bogey.

Dood, from what little I know, a 280 yard up hill drive is killing it for most pro golfers.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've seen some of them, just was not a golfer at the time. You're correct, some stunning landscapes. In fact, Mrs. Piob and I are looking forward to 3-4 years down the road, when we're hopefully proficient enough not to embarass ourselves and doing some golfing vacations. Nice resorts in beautiful locations ftw.

Dood, from what little I know, a 280 yard up hill drive is killing it for most pro golfers.

Depends on how up-hill. But ya, 280 yards regardless is a well hit drive for the average golfer. Had a drive last week that was close to 340 off a slightly elevated tee. I love angry drives. The kind you get after a ****** couple holes, and you just say "**** it, I'm going to try and break this ball".

blofeld

Reaction score
I've come to the realization that I am about a 12 and do not have the time to be better than a 12, so I'm just be happy with it. I play maybe 8 times a year, 2-4 range sessions a year, obviously not going to improve with that, but I also haven't shot worse than 92 in about 5 years...played this past Saturday at Angeles National in Los Angeles - if you haven't tried it or haven't played it recently, it's looking great with the new clubhouse. I kicked it around for 4 hours for an 85 - my first round in 4 months (new baby).

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
I've come to the realization that I am about a 12 and do not have the time to be better than a 12, so I'm just be happy with it. I play maybe 8 times a year, 2-4 range sessions a year, obviously not going to improve with that, but I also haven't shot worse than 92 in about 5 years...played this past Saturday at Angeles National in Los Angeles - if you haven't tried it or haven't played it recently, it's looking great with the new clubhouse. I kicked it around for 4 hours for an 85 - my first round in 4 months (new baby).
Shooting in the 80's would be perfect. I hope to get there sometime this season. Good enough that if you go out with guys from work you don't embarass yourself, and not so good to require constant practice. My problem is I can't seem to string together 18 holes. Last time I was out, I was 10 over after 15. Finished with a tripple-tripple-tripple. Seriously .. wtf is that!?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics