• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Yeah, I've never bothered with barbell rows. DB rows FTW, IMO.
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I started doing barbell rows because I didn't want to buy new dumbbells and I was having a hard time adding weight / chains / plates to an inverted row. I don't seem to have any trouble with falling over, but I am doing "Pendlay" rows where each rep starts on the ground. http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perfor...ect-technique/
I've tried Pendlay rows and just felt like i was wasting my time too. Maybe it's cos i wasn't using chalk. gonna try again.
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I love slow rep count (really) WIDE GRIP bent barbell rows... but you better have your back in shape or rest your head on a bench. Reverse-grip BB bent rows are also handy.
To be honest i got so pissed off with not being able to get the form that i've just been doing seated row (shock horror) Anyways, i've just finally settled on this program. I know you're not meant to **** with Bill Starr's 5x5 but i did anyway: Monday: Low Back Back Squat Benchpress Powercleans Wednesday: Pullups (40 reps in as few sets as possible) Deadlifts Press (Pendlay) Row (seated at the moment) Friday: Front Squat Incline dumbbell bench High pulls For everything but pullups, the formula is 4 sets of 5 reps, ramping weight up each time. 5th set increase weight a bit more for 3 reps.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5/3/1 is a great program, glad to see some trying it out. Ive found it's the most effective kind of programming for getting stronger while maintaining bodyweight and/or adding conditioning. It's what I used to do every year ramping up toward wrestling season.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good quality scale that also calculates BF % with a modicum of accuracy? Thanks!

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong the the basic principle by which those scales operate will never deliver a modicum of accuracy.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
Can anyone recommend a good quality scale that also calculates BF % with a modicum of accuracy? Thanks!

Keep the scale for measuring weight and the calipers for measuring BF %. A scale can't take the place of a skinfold test.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
Keep the scale for measuring weight and the calipers for measuring BF %. A scale can't take the place of a skinfold test.

Noted. Can anyone recommend an economical scale they like?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need help staying motivated to go to the gym. Any advice/help.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
1. Caffeine
2. Picture of yourself that motivates you (either looking really good, or really bad)
3. Youtube clips of things that inspire you
4. Progressive (periodized) lifting program

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Felt strong in gym today and set 2 PRs at 130lbs bodyweight.

Weighted pullups: 3 strict reps with +50lbs on dip belt
Weighted dips: 2 sets of 3 reps with +85lbs on dip belt.

My palms hurt after the weighted dips but it felt easy - going for +90lbs next time. That will be a milestone for 2010 - +2/3 of bodyweight on weighted dips.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whallyden
very nice.

Thanks! I will revise my goals for 2010 to try for +bodyweight on weighted dips. That will be a tall order but we'll see.
smile.gif

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Felt strong in gym today and set 2 PRs at 130lbs bodyweight.

Weighted pullups: 3 strict reps with +50lbs on dip belt
Weighted dips: 2 sets of 3 reps with +85lbs on dip belt.

My palms hurt after the weighted dips but it felt easy - going for +90lbs next time. That will be a milestone for 2010 - +2/3 of bodyweight on weighted dips.

Very nice! A couple months ago I worked up to a +70lb dip at 155-160lbs., good luck with the bodyweight goal
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I need help staying motivated to go to the gym. Any advice/help.
Here is a 4 step approach: 1. Watch this Navy SEAL BUD/S series. Start with the one below and keep linking to the rest of the parts. This is Choice 1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. 2. Walk around a nearby mall, grocery store, etc. and look at all the lardasses waddling around. This is Choice 2. 3. Realize that you may never make it through the 1st day of BUD/S but at least you'd rather be closer to Choice 1 than Choice 2 on the in-shape scale. 4. Go 100% in the gym, eat clean and when you are afraid you are losing focus, think of Choice 1 vs. Choice 2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads