• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yup, another which watch thread- classic and $1500 max.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what is that last stowa pictured? it is gorgeous.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice watches - referring to Longines Master Line, far right. A friend of mine recently bought one, but it was around $2000. What did the last one run you?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Why do you say that? What do I need to know? I suppose that is why I am asking the question. Also, like I said, I am happy with the suggestion around $500. Looks like the Tissot PRC200 might be an option at that price.
Originally Posted by Flieger
This is a marsupialed rule of thumb. kthxbye
Either a beat up workhorse watch, or a really nice one, why care about those in between?
eh.gif
(this is a serious question reflecting my POV)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
Nice watches - referring to Longines Master Line, far right. A friend of mine recently bought one, but it was around $2000. What did the last one run you?

I bought it used for around $1200 IIRC.

It can be purchased BNIB around $1500

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are the odds of finding this?

b4.jpg

lefty

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Longines and Stowas for sure. The hesitation I have with the Stowas is I can not see them in person and get a feel for size and such where as the Longines and Tags I am sure I can track down.

Something that was brought up and I did not really consider much yet: what will customs be like coming into Canada? I have never had to pay more than just GST on someting.

Also, any reasons to not get the Tag? I like the styling. Are the other suggestions (ie Longines) more watch for the money or just an aversion to a more popular/prolific/less watch geek brand?

Thank you all so much for the help so far, really do appreciate it.

As a side note, I do not need the watch to be a "dress watch" the way people here may consider it, but can be a pilot or chrono or whatever, just not a rubber banded diver like I have. Probably a leather strap though so it still looks appropriate.

mjc

Reaction score
You never know how duties will be assessed - it can work out to a few hundred dollars, though. The courier may charge generous "clearing fees" too. Beware.

Often, the products should clear duty-free because of various free trade treaties, but the seller doesn't know how to do the paperwork.

Look hard for a supplier in Canada first.

Archivist

Reaction score
holymadness;3317054 said:
I see you and I raise you.

How do you find the deployment buckle on the Stowa? Do you prefer it to a standard buckle?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deployment clasp is always superior. I can't be arsed to thread the pin through the hole every time I put my watch on.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be an aftermarket double-fold deployant, like the ones that Bob Davis and others sell

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Deployment clasp is always superior. I can't be arsed to thread the pin through the hole every time I put my watch on.

I find deployment clasps much more difficult to fiddle with than regular ones.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

Originally Posted by gdl203
Could be an aftermarket double-fold deployant, like the ones that Bob Davis and others sell

Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads