• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Update on Cheaney shoes

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racing Green
I wonder is Pengranger's factory shop boot also on the 175 last? If so they're almost identical bar the speed hooks.

Other than the speed hooks and whether they're both on the same last, the bogueing/punching details differ somewhat (the Langdale extends straight up while the FS029 breaks horizontally). Also, the heel counter/backstay are different on both.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Correct, and personally I prefer the FS029. It has more classical styling, to my eye at least. Our definitions of 'almost' are obviously very different.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racing Green
Correct, and personally I prefer the FS029. It has more classical styling, to my eye at least. Our definitions of 'almost' are obviously very different.

Actually, the more I look at them, the more I realize the similarities might be limited to the fact that they're both pebble grain brogue boots made by Cheaney... I also prefer the lines on the FS029; I think it has something to do with the curve on the facings following the curve on the wingtip. Dunno, looks more harmonious or something. As others have mentioned, I would also prefer the FS029 with all eyelets. Moot point since it's not readily available...

Racing Green

Reaction score
Apologies for dragging this thread back from the dead but I just wanted to add my Cheaney customer service experience to balance out the bad experiences posted earlier.

I emailed Cheaney last week about the FS029 factory make up brogue boot. Sheila replied immediately and then rang the factory shop for me to check on stock. Sheila confirmed that they had my size and than it was simply a case of me ringing with my details.

Boots arrived this morning, I'm delighted with them and the customer service was fantastic.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting William Church last Friday. He was in town and stopped in to "talk shop". Elegant gentleman. He and his cousin Jonathan are well determined to building Cheaney to the brand it deserves. As referenced, the plan is Europe, the Orient and maybe the U.S. I encouraged the American market due to an exceptional value of Cheaney's product.

Trifon

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the Cheaney's 175 last (F) is true to size or should one go half a size up or down? I wear 9 with C&J 348 last and 9 with Loake Capital last to mention some. Any suggestions?

Racing Green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trifon
Can anyone tell me if the Cheaney's 175 last (F) is true to size or should one go half a size up or down? I wear 9 with C&J 348 last and 9 with Loake Capital last to mention some. Any suggestions?

I have a Cheaney country boot on the 175 last and to be honest it's not that big as country lasts go. I'd even say it's fairly near true to size. I just wear them with thick socks.

blahgspot

Reaction score
I would say, from my experience, the 175 last fits rather on the large side. I find a 9.5 F in this last to be almost a 1/2 size bigger than a 9.5 in Loake's capital last, and maybe 1/4 size bigger than their 026 last in the same size. This, and I fit a US 10.5D in an Allen Edmonds Macneil; a size 9.5 in the Cheaney Romney (similarly styled longwing broge) is much too big for me.

**edit**

After checking again, the 175 does run big, but about the same as the 026 and capital lasts by Loake (or maybe a hair longer).

Racing Green

Reaction score
I actually find the 175 to be pretty much the same size as Loake's 024 which is a real country last. The Cheaney 175 is definitely a wee but bigger than Loake's Capital last alright.

BTW Is that an RIC badge in your avatar?
eh.gif

Getzione

Reaction score
Nick V.;3185072 said:
I reached out to a well placed source at Cheaney's this week. I asked for an update on what's going on since the Church cousin's bought the company back.
Though I'd share the response:

Thank you for posting. I was actually wondering when the new site would be released.

old

Reaction score
Sorry for digging this thread back up
but I just tried to order a pair of FS029.
Just want to ask about the sizing,
I wear 6.5 in Alden Trubalance last and 6 in C&J Conistons
would size 6 of these fit me?
Thanks = )

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
FYI, they are going to raise their prices in January.

So are Church's shoes. I have been told that leather prices have gone up by 25% in the last year and shoemakers cannot pass the whole of that price rise on to customers. However they have no choice but to pass some of it on. I hear its getting more and more difficult to keep quality high because customers are so price sensitive - and not surprisingly with the current global financial situation.

So, I guess many other shoemakers will also be putting prices up in January - plus the rise in VAT we British ( and other europeans) will be paying from January.

old

Reaction score
Ugh...that seems to be the case since I also heard that Alfred Sargent is seriously running low on leather supply, I wonder how many other Northampton shoemakers are suffering like them

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by old
Ugh...that seems to be the case since I also heard that Alfred Sargent is seriously running low on leather supply, I wonder how many other Northampton shoemakers are suffering like them

Who makes this stuff up? Seriously running low on leather? Was there a blight up the calf heards that no one has heard about? This is the sort of disinformation that gets spread on these boards and by people who just don't know their facts. Happens all the time.

After spending a good bit of time with Chay in October, I just ordered several pairs of shoes. Sargents are getting lots of orders and their new grades are selling very well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads