• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wingtip thread

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_5176.jpg

Mark it 8

Reaction score
What do you guys think of these as far as versatility? Would these be okay with jeans and with a suit?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark it 8
What do you guys think of these as far as versatility? Would these be okay with jeans and with a suit? Uploaded with ImageShack.us
It seems that a dress shoe's versatility depends on the style (blucher or balmoral? wing-tip?), texture/finish (pebble-grain? gloss finish?), color, and the type of pants with which you plan to wear it. Those shoes are more casual because they are bluchers, but they also have a more glossy finish. Personally, I'd wear them with jeans, but other SF users might advise you to go for a more casual-looking finish. (But if you do that, the shoe might be less appropriate for a suit!)

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Who makes a nice pair of more modern wingtips. Like just a single stitch creating the wingtip shape and a slim silhouette throughout? I saw a pair of Vass ones that I liked (can't find the picture now) but I just don't have that type of money for shoes. Edit: Like these for example (posted on an earlier page but no brand listed) http://img248.imageshack.us/i/1984rushdennoble.jpg/ Not exactly that necessarily, but that is the idea I am going for Price range around $300, andin a dark to medium brown

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of these as far as versatility? Would these be okay with jeans and with a suit?

Great with jeans, cords, moleskins. Could work with a heavier tweed suit, but that's about it. Could work very well with heavier sportcoats and wool pants or on a casual Friday. I'd say they are pretty versatile.

I like those shoes. They look like RL/C&J Darltons. Are they shell cordovan?

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearsfan172
Who makes a nice pair of more modern wingtips. Like just a single stitch creating the wingtip shape and a slim silhouette throughout? I saw a pair of Vass ones that I liked (can't find the picture now) but I just don't have that type of money for shoes.

Edit: Like these for example (posted on an earlier page but no brand listed)
http://img248.imageshack.us/i/1984rushdennoble.jpg/

Not exactly that necessarily, but that is the idea I am going for

Price range around $300, andin a dark to medium brown

Those are Grenson Noble wingtips.

Originally Posted by Grayland
Great with jeans, cords, moleskins. Could work with a heavier tweed suit, but that's about it. Could work very well with heavier sportcoats and wool pants or on a casual Friday. I'd say they are pretty versatile.

I like those shoes. They look like RL/C&J Darltons. Are they shell cordovan?

No, they are "crup." I dont know what that is, but it is nice. Here is the link: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...&colour_id=127

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Pengranger;3282875 said:
X-posted

Tricker's Piccadilly
DSC_0418a.jpg

The "Piccadilly" is on the 4537 last, The 1829 Collection:

This range of classic favourites with contemporary styling, using fine leathers on a
modern last follows Tricker’s tradition of quality bench-made shoes.

(Tricker's website)

Looks traditional to me! Is the 'modern last' elongated or chiseled or something?

It is similiar to the "Epsom" on the 6038L last, The Jermyn Street Collection:

The understated English style which has permeated in the annals of the City
establishment for centuries is embodied in this fine collection of
English footwear by Tricker’s.

(Tricker's website)

Any ideas?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i love this design, churches grafton i would love to get it whisky or saddle shell

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes and nice shape. Wear them with anything you like. I love the colour of them. I would gladly wear them with combo's and suits. Those of us who have high insteps do sometimes wear bluchers with suits, no matter the old school rules.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Great shoes and nice shape. Wear them with anything you like. I love the colour of them.
I would gladly wear them with combo's and suits.
Those of us who have high insteps do sometimes wear bluchers with suits, no matter the old school rules.

Terrific looking shoes for those who enjoy a heavy shoe. I have a high instep and find them to be most comfortable even with my suits, besides, I love the look.

dappledown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
^ looks good, dd. I also liked the suit you posted in WAYWRN.

Thanks! Glad you liked it! I'm into shoes more than cloths and suits though
smile.gif
But now that i got my first bespoke number I'm getting addicted...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics