• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Charles Tyrwhitt a deal?

JamesCade

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my virgin post. I am in the process of deciding what casual/dress shirts I will buy in the near future. I have it on good authority that the ones to invetigate are Thomas Pink, Charles Tyrwhitt, Turnbull & Asser (pricey). But, in your opinions, is the 4/$200 deal at CT worth the trouble? Has anyone had issues with their shirts?

Best,

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I found their shirts do not work for me. I like many of their patterns, however, the fabric is not as good as others I have. I have resorted to ordering my shirts from Modern Tailor. The main problem I have with CT shirts is they are not long enough in the body for me. In addition, they do not place enough buttons down the front. I like to have the last button tucked into my shirt and it isn't possible with CT shirts. Also, after washing their shirts, the sleeves shrank too much and I ended up returning them.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A search will turn up a good number of threads about CT clothing.

JamesCade

Reaction score
HarleyBob,

Interesting... May I ask how tall you are? I'm 5'9", which is good for the middle ground of men butmaybe not for some. Modern Tailor is it? Why them?

Best,

JamesCade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erictheobscure
A search will turn up a good number of threads about CT clothing.

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

Best,

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Personally, I love CT shirts. I wear the Slim Fit or the Non-Iron Slim Fit and they work great for me. I just purchased 5/$160 with one of the CT coupon codes going around.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like their slim fit shirts - pretty similar quality to TM lewin in general - i.e. pretty good for the price.

Only thing to be wary off is I've found their button cuff shirts shorter for the same stated sleeve length than their double cuff shirts.

dfischer1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
I found their shirts do not work for me. I like many of their patterns, however, the fabric is not as good as others I have. I have resorted to ordering my shirts from Modern Tailor. The main problem I have with CT shirts is they are not long enough in the body for me. In addition, they do not place enough buttons down the front. I like to have the last button tucked into my shirt and it isn't possible with CT shirts. Also, after washing their shirts, the sleeves shrank too much and I ended up returning them.

x2 on the length, buttons and sleeve issues.

DF

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is the worst on Jermyn Street. Steer well clear.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Their shirts are ok...pay in pound sterling though rather than dollars.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for their calf leather shoes to go on a massive sale like last time.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
What are the reasons you're so against CT?
Terrible cloth, strange fit, even worse buttons than TM Lewin and a generally poor appearance for a price higher than TM Lewin. Of the lower end shirt makers on that street, they are the worst.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In short - No.

Frodo

Reaction score
Thin Red Line has a few very nice shirts on incredible mark downs. It's hit or miss if they'll have what you like, but the shirts are great (to my eye), are slender, don't require a ton of alteration, and they're basically giving them away.

FWIW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads