• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on yellow summer jacket

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I have a fondness for both the color yellow and summer attire, and could use guidence in wearing a jacket recently purchased. It is a Ralph Lauren purple label obtained on Ebay. I have paired it with various items I've thought of, but maybe there are better combinations. Suggestions much appreciated (please excused the somewhat distressed Panama, I am looking for another). You guys have helped much in the past.

URL=http://img718.imageshack.us/i/yellow6.png/]
yellow6.png
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first look is cool. I'm not sure about black shoes...but I like that look...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
The first look is cool. I'm not sure about black shoes...but I like that look...

Not black shoes at all. Brown, on the lighter side. First look is OK - but brown shoes, and maybe tan pants, not cream.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditch the black shoes and t. In fact don't wear anything darker than light tan with it.

How about a white or blue end-on-end shirt.

edit: are those blue shoes? If so, they look pretty good with the blue shirt and white pant combo.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I applaud your bravery. Men of colour would be preferred candidates for this jacket. As a caucasian, you have the right skin tone to pull it off. The choice of using the Panama hat reveals your skills. Well done. Don't worry of the condition of the hat because it both has and adds character to the overall effect. I agree to avoid black shoes altogether on this. My suggestions: Combo1 -Tope Linen pants -Sky Blue or French Blue shirt -Repp tie in Burgundy -Dark blue pocket square (patterned - and don't show too much of it-just a sliver) -Light Brown belt (belt compliments but not matches the shoes) -Brown shoes or a pair in snuff suede Combo2 -Med Charcoal Grey Linen pants -Pastel purple broadcloth Shirt -Repp Tie in Dark Blue with orange stripes (if you can find) -Burgundy patterned pocket square -Woven leather or cloth belt. -Chili shoes Combo 3 -Some form of lightweight white or off-white (egshell grey or blue) pants -Light blue BD broadcloth (or poplin if weather allows) shirt -grosgrain belt -try sockless look - canvas Sperrys or Deck Shoes (wear ankle socks if don't do sockless) or any shoe you want but no black. If my suggestions are in any way possible disasters I apologize in advance. My thinking is to either tone down the jacket or provide acceptable contrast options to it. Best of luck and please update us with fresh photos of your new combos with this jacket. PS- Please smile. You should be having fun with this jacket and you'll will bring happiness to others.
smile.gif

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Thanks guys
Ditched the black shoes, belt, t-shirt, and cream pants.
Tried pink and blue stripped shirts, light brown pants and jeans.
The other suggestions you guys made will need to await a shopping trip.
And I probably do need more than three real ties.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bentley

Reaction score
It looks good...you pull the look off well.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Top half is great, bottom half not so much.

It wouldn't be my choice of shoes, but the pants fit perfectly.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look #1 is the winner if you just go with some mid or light brown shoes

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
It wouldn't be my choice of shoes, but the pants fit perfectly.

The fit isn't the problem; I'm just not very keen on the colour, nor on the narrow belt and narrow cuffs. And I'll second the comment about the shoes.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I am not too hot on the shoes either, bought them in a lot of faragamos and keep on hoping they are useful for something, but probably best to redye them.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear me. How tasteless.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
I am not too hot on the shoes either, bought them in a lot of faragamos and keep on hoping they are useful for something, but probably best to redye them.

It happens. I bet the same outfit with burgundy loafers and a woven burgundy belt could be really solid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads