• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saarinen table questions

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Saarinen side table and have a couple of questions for anyone who owns one. First, I'm thinking of putting it in an area that takes direct sun, next to large windows -- is this going to cause premature yellowing? If so, is there anything to be done about that?

Second, I'd rather have a matte finish than high gloss. Do I have any option other than vintage or a knockoff? I would consider a vintage Knoll in good condition, but it would need to be in really good condition, and I'm nervous about attempting such a purchase online. Also, I'm thinking I want a wood finish top, so that makes my prey all the more elusive.

I'd even consider getting a base and making my own top/having a top made, as I have an idea that I think could look pretty sweet. So if anyone has any good sources ...

Thanks.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The wood-topped versions are matte, not glossy, I think. For what it's worth, our coated white marble dining table hasn't yellowed at all, and it's in direct sunlight.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I'd price out having a base made or trying to find a vintage base. It doesn't have to look exactly like the Saarinen. Countertop installers are hungry for work and you could get them to cut you a top for cheap. Carrara is the least expensive marble too. I'd definitely get it honed instead of polished. I've never heard of marble yellowing to any extent, I'd be more worried about your wine glasses. Plus, if it gets dinged up you won't have a heart attack.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our white polished has been sitting in direct sunlight, for about a year - with no issues.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ours is in a room with floor to ceiling windows and it's fine after 5 years.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
ours is in an atrium on the 3rd floor and it's been there for ******* 12 years and it's not nearly as yellow as some of our neighbors' teeth. crest it up.

dave

Reaction score
I have a great source for vintage pieces here in Dallas. I'm happy to forward the info to you if you're really interested in going vintage. they're not cheap but they have things NO one else has. lst i was in they had 3 original papa bear chairs complete w ottomans along with my original florence knoll sofa with the walnut base. (i've posted a pic here previously i think)

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Technically speaking, this is now called the "StyleForvm" side or dining table.

- B

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are all sheep.

blush.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Direct sunlight will fade or lighten the wood finish, depending on what kind of wood you get. If you leave objects on it, you will get funny shapes on your table top. I have vintage dining and side tables that get varying exposure to the sun, and have not seen any yellowing.

Of course, the correct top for the Saarinen side table is marble.
smile.gif

--Andre

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Technically speaking, this is now called the "StyleForvm" side or dining table.

- B

it just rocketed from saturation, right past overhyped, and straight to backlash with this

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
ours is in an atrium on the 3rd floor and it's been there for ******* 12 years and it's not nearly as yellow as some of our neighbors' teeth. crest it up.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a white one my parents bought new in the early 1970s. No yellowing at all. Bottom edges chipped in a few places and top is scratched, but it still looks great. The matching chairs are great too, though the fabric will eventually need replacing.

emptym

Reaction score
My wife now wants this table, the round, white one. Any thoughts on sources? I know DWR and Room and Board sell them. The DWR one is licensed and has sealed marble, but it's almost twice the price of the RB one. Not sure if that's worth it.

dhaller

Reaction score
My parents have one (the one I grew up with) which they bought in the mid-1960s; white, it shows no "yellowing" to speak of. While it's not new looking, it also survived a stint as a "basement rec-room table" in a house with two boys in the late-1970s/early 1980s with no damage. It's an excellent table.

(As a child I used to up-end it to pretend it was a hover-disk, and I'd stand on the underside of the tabletop and "drive" the hover-disk using the base as a "steering wheel". Ah, memories.)

DH

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads