• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

Frodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
What's the yarn count on the T1?

I don't actually know - Modern is funny about what it sometimes leaves out in its descriptions. I will say it's extremely smooth cloth - your fingers can just barely discern surface texture. If it was much finer it would start to take on a sheen, which I don't like. For the casual, check, button down shirt I ordered, it's at the limits of what I'd want.

After laundering and drying (gently) the shirt, it fits wonderfully, but the darn thing is about 4" too short in the body. This has to be an oversight on someone's part as every other measurement is correct to within about 1/8" of what I specified. All the important stuff above the waterline is fine, but if I bend over to tie my shoes I'll be tucking. I emailed them - I wonder if I'll get a free shirt. It wasn't my intention, but I won't say no.

Stitching and construction are the equal, if not the superior of the shirts I've been getting. Scary straight single needle work. The collar buttons are cut from the same thickness as the front buttons, which makes them look almost square in profile - a little odd, but not objectionable.

Shirt ordered 5/26, delivered to my door 6/05. Dayum...

tinkle60

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I think they're backed up from the sale. I normally get the shirts within 10 days of ordering (3 previous orders). But it's been 8 days and I finally just received shipping notification. I ordered 4 shirts. One of them had different measurements.

Damn that's fast shipping. I've ordered twice so far, production times have also been 8-10 days, my first order spent 9 days in transit. The second time I went for express shipping, and it took 7 days and it went by some courier I'd never heard of.

I'll save my money next time and wait 2 more days.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of ordering a wool pants from them but kind of hesitate given that I have not seen any prior experience, especially it will be about $90-$110 shipped. Is there any current coupon?

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
I am thinking of ordering a wool pants from them but kind of hesitate given that I have not seen any prior experience, especially it will be about $90-$110 shipped. Is there any current coupon?

i am ordered a pair. will let you know how it turns out.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which collar is this? It's not the usual cutaway.

coltboy75

Reaction score
^ That looks to be the large one button cutaway. I have it along with the large two button cutaway.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Yep, looks like the large cutaway, but it could also be a custom measurement job.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered my first shirt from them recently. On tracking online, I noticed that they tried to deliver yesterday. I was at home at the timestamps noted, so not sure what happened. Has anyone tried to contact the US office of the mailing service they use?

Frodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
I ordered my first shirt from them recently. On tracking online, I noticed that they tried to deliver yesterday. I was at home at the timestamps noted, so not sure what happened. Has anyone tried to contact the US office of the mailing service they use?
They tried to deliver to me, too. I wasn't home, and I heard nothing else about it. I contacted MyT and they said that a slip should have been left on the door, but it wasn't. Long story short, it was sitting at the local post office the next day, picked it up and signed for it. Guess I'll probably have to do this for most orders as I'm gone a lot. I may leave a sign on the door with instructions to leave it. Try your local post office; it's probably sitting there. They use EMS to get it to the US, but probably USPS from there to your your door. Good luck contacting EMS.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
They tried to deliver to me, too. I wasn't home, and I heard nothing else about it. I contacted MyT and they said that a slip should have been left on the door, but it wasn't. Long story short, it was sitting at the local post office the next day, picked it up and signed for it. Guess I'll probably have to do this for most orders as I'm gone a lot.

Try your local post office; it's probably sitting there.

Thanks. Just noticed the USPS slip in my mailbox too!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Which collar is this? It's not the usual cutaway.

Originally Posted by coltboy75
^ That looks to be the large one button cutaway. I have it along with the large two button cutaway.

Originally Posted by imwithtuxedo
Yep, looks like the large cutaway, but it could also be a custom measurement job.

I just e-mailed them and got a quick response - it's "cutaway - large."

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern Tailor has shifted from priority USPS to Global Express, which requires a signature as well as a receipt form since it is from China. My most recent order required three signatures.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering my first order from modern tailor, and I used the measurements of my best fitting shirt. Will they follow these exactly, and will the shirt shrink? Should I add anything to my measurements? I don't want to spend $40 (testing with their cheaper fabric) and have a shirt I can't use. I am hesitant to pull the trigger.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
So I'm considering my first order from modern tailor, and I used the measurements of my best fitting shirt. Will they follow these exactly, and will the shirt shrink? Should I add anything to my measurements? I don't want to spend $40 (testing with their cheaper fabric) and have a shirt I can't use. I am hesitant to pull the trigger.

With my first order, I gave exact measurements of the shirt I wanted and left a note in the box "these are EXACT measurements, please account for any shrinkage in your fabrics." The shirt I received was absolutely spot on. I have probably washed the shirt 5 times since receiving it and it has not shrunk at all. They claim the fabric is pre-shrunk and as far as I can tell this is true. Granted, this was not a high-end fabric and I wash my dress shirts on delicate in cold water, hang to dry. Your results may vary based on your fabric selection or wash technique.

Frodo

Reaction score
No problems at all with shrinkage. I lightly machine dried it twice, but now hang dry (clothes last longer when they don't get massacred in a drier every time.) They are supposed to take any inherent shrinkage into account when cutting the shirt out. This would probably differ from one cloth to the next, even if "pre-shrunk."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics