• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't there one for sale on B&S (FS: Other) right now?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Saw that but the guy took it off the market. Also there seem to be two dials for this model, white and silver, I have a hardon for the silver face. Though it may be possible to get them swapped out.

ScottMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Also there seem to be two dials for this model, white and silver, I have a hardon for the silver face. Though it may be possible to get them swapped out.
I have the 3714-17 and I could be wrong, but I have never seen a 3714 with blued markers/hands and a "white" face. Most likely, it comes off as white in some pictures, and silver in others. It looks much more white than silver in person. I'd be glad to accommodate pictures with different lighting if you're curious.

It's a very nice piece and I love it more than any other watch I own or have owned. Be "warned" though...pictures can definitely be deceiving on this one because the majority of the images are meant to capture the blued hands/markers as the defining feature of the dial. In reality, 95% of the time the hands and markers are going to appear black...as is the strap. I have had more than a few people "argue" that the strap was in fact black. To me, this is a positive because the watch is more versatile with the blue/black tightrope but I catch a pleasant surprising glimpse of the blue a few times a day.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
agreed- here's another...

Definitely my next watch. Lovely
smile.gif

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ScottMan
I have the 3714-17 and I could be wrong, but I have never seen a 3714 with blued markers/hands and a "white" face. Most likely, it comes off as white in some pictures, and silver in others. It looks much more white than silver in person. I'd be glad to accommodate pictures with different lighting if you're curious.

I thought that was a possibility and thanks very much for the clarification. Have unfortunately passed on some used pieces because of the pics and dial description as "white", have to see if any are still available. The watch I saw last week definitely had the silver face.

Also no problem personally as to the black-blue numerals and strap, I tend to like that kind of color ambiguity. Nice to hear more good words on this watch.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
Definitely my next watch. Lovely
smile.gif

thanks, i love the explorer, but to be honest i am starting to find it a little small on my wrist now i've got used to the speedy, think i may eventually move it on. a real shame as it is in many ways my perfect watch

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, i love the explorer, but to be honest i am starting to find it a little small on my wrist now i've got used to the speedy, think i may eventually move it on. a real shame as it is in many ways my perfect watch

PM me if you decide to sell it
wink.gif

heaven7

Reaction score

Didn't Rolex come out with a slightly bigger model?
It has a couple of issues, but it sounds like it could be the answer to your problem.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Looking for this IWC Portuguese 3714-17, silver face blue hands. Finally saw one in person this week, need it now haha. Anyone have one they would like to turn over? Thanks.

IWCPortuguese_front8.jpg

That's a gorgeous watch. How thin are they, usually?

my_alias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
That's a gorgeous watch. How thin are they, usually?

you mean, 'how THICK are they?'...
smile.gif

about 12.25mm from memory. I've tried it on a couple times and it's a thick watch

ScottMan

Reaction score
^They are certainly not thin. They use the Valjoux 7750 Chrono movement which is pretty thick. I think it is 12.5mm.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ 40 x 12.5 I'd say is substantial but not huge for a normal size wrist.

Best price I'm seeing online new is $5100 from Watchmaxx which I believe is not an AD. Any major disadvantages going non-AD? Have had a good past experience w Watchmaxx. Other possible sources? Thanks.

ScottMan

Reaction score
The disadvantage would be that IWC usually won't honor warranty work sold by grey market. The Valjoux 7750 is a proven and robust movement and you could probably find a watchmaker to repair it with little difficulty in the rare case it needed it, but if something happened with the watch itself, you'd be out of luck.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was the one who had the Port Chrono for sale. Was trying to fund a Lange & Sohne but it was sold out from under. So with the money "saved", I bought the panda 3714.

Hopefully my poor pic taking ability doesn't detract others.
IMG_7228.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads